Small Note on Raheem from The Athletic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not going to blame Gurley for the defense allowing the other team to march 75 yards for a TD in under a minute. 

This is an excerpt from Mike Sando's column today.   4. The Atlanta Falcons have gone 4-2 under interim coach Raheem Morris following an 0-5 start. Don’t forget about Morris in the coming hi

Yep. Him and Quinn are nothing alike to me. After all the smoke cleared I think Quinn confuses players. They may like him but he’s confusing. Morris, on the other hand, is absolutely GREAT at communic

16 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

Mehhhh. I get what you are saying. But kneeling the ball and kicking the FG is the better move there. We'd be 5-1 and I think you know that. 

If kneeling and kicking the FG is the better move, how is it on Gurley that they lost? Wouldnt that be on the OC/HC for green lighting the call? Gurley should never have been put in the position to "lose" the game (even though RM made some horrible coaching decisions its still somehow Gurleys fault).

Just now, DirtyBird2 said:

If kneeling and kicking the FG is the better move, how is it on Gurley that they lost? Wouldnt that be on the OC/HC for green lighting the call? Gurley should never have been put in the position to "lose" the game (even though RM made some horrible coaching decisions its still somehow Gurleys fault).

Fairly certain they told him to not go in the endzone.... That's on TG3. Why do you think he tried to stop before the goal line

1 minute ago, 408Falcon said:

Falls on both of em for sure.

Not at all, Gurley was put in a horrible position, that doesn't mean it is his fault. If this was still DQ coaching everyone would have called for his head. Never give an opportunity for the other team to get the ball. A kneel down and a fg assures that. 

That game was RM trying to show everyone that he can be aggressive in close games, (unlike DQ) and it backfired big time. Situational awareness is something that severely lacks in FB.

Plain and simple, it was another horrible coaching decision by a coaching staff that has been making them for years. Needs to change.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30192133/atlanta-falcons-rb-todd-gurley-mad-****-td-leads-loss-detroit-lions

"It was talked about right at that moment," Falcons interim head coach Raheem Morris said. "We knew that was kind of going to be their ideal choice for us to get in the end zone so they could have a chance to go down there and score.

"So we wanted to take the knee on the 1, and he obviously tried and he fell into the end zone at the last second there, getting tripped up a little bit."

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

so then you're saying there's absolutely positively no way he could have ever in a million gazillion years missed. 

gotcha.....

Sure there’s a chance. But is there not also a chance for the RB to fumble or accidentally score a TD?

You can play the if/but game til you’re blue in the face... and sure, some fans are gonna whine no matter what... but anyone with some inkling of situational awareness knows there better move there would’ve been to take a knee (one fewer exchange/chance for a fumble compared to also having to hand off the ball to a RB), eat the clock, and then let your kicker (who has been very, very good this year) try to win the game for you.

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Not at all, Gurley was put in a horrible position, that doesn't mean it is his fault. If this was still DQ coaching everyone would have called for his head. Never give an opportunity for the other team to get the ball. A kneel down and a fg assures that. 

That game was RM trying to show everyone that he can be aggressive in close games, (unlike DQ) and it backfired big time. Situational awareness is something that severely lacks in FB.

Plain and simple, it was another horrible coaching decision by a coaching staff that has been making them for years. Needs to change.

11 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30192133/atlanta-falcons-rb-todd-gurley-mad-****-td-leads-loss-detroit-lions

"It was talked about right at that moment," Falcons interim head coach Raheem Morris said. "We knew that was kind of going to be their ideal choice for us to get in the end zone so they could have a chance to go down there and score.

"So we wanted to take the knee on the 1, and he obviously tried and he fell into the end zone at the last second there, getting tripped up a little bit."

This is from a follow up article from The Athletic and Tori McElhaney's Notebook...

On Monday, Morris said that was the one moment he regretted the most from the day before. He said it was his decision to hand the ball to Gurley. If Morris could have a do-over, he would have had Ryan take a knee and send Younghoe Koo onto the field for an easy field goal to win the game.

“I should have, looking back at it, taken a knee with Matt, but I just wanted to put it in Todd’s hands with a guy who’s comfortable carrying the ball in that situation and not have to worry about people jumping on your quarterback, pounding him, trying to knock the ball out of his hands,” Morris said.

He added that he wouldn’t put this on Gurley. The decision and the responsibility were his, and he said he planned to tell Gurley so.

“I should have put the ball in Matt Ryan’s hands,” Morris said.

16 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

This is from a follow up article from The Athletic and Tori McElhaney's Notebook...

On Monday, Morris said that was the one moment he regretted the most from the day before. He said it was his decision to hand the ball to Gurley. If Morris could have a do-over, he would have had Ryan take a knee and send Younghoe Koo onto the field for an easy field goal to win the game.

“I should have, looking back at it, taken a knee with Matt, but I just wanted to put it in Todd’s hands with a guy who’s comfortable carrying the ball in that situation and not have to worry about people jumping on your quarterback, pounding him, trying to knock the ball out of his hands,” Morris said.

He added that he wouldn’t put this on Gurley. The decision and the responsibility were his, and he said he planned to tell Gurley so.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. Yes Gurley scored, but to tell a RB in the heat of the moment to fall down at the 1 is insane. So many things can (and did) go wrong with that thought process. 

If anything, find where Koo wants the ball, have MR take the snap and move to the area, take a knee. It happens on a weekly basis but the Falcons always need to find new ways of losing...

1 hour ago, vafalconfan said:

Let's see what happens this week before we hire Raheem.. we dominated an overrated team with a quarterback having maybe the worst game of his life. Two weeks earlier we were dominated by Taysum Hill. We can pin that loss on DK's horrible scheme and game plan, but that's where Morris needs to step in and tell DK what he expects. Something Quinn would never do..

100% this. If we fail to make any adjustments and the staff feels the only thing lacking was NOT the game plan, but the execution thereof, and this weekend's game winds up being another a$$ kicking by the Saints, then Raheem and company are back to NOT being even considered. Funny how one week, coming out and smashing Chuckie's team has made many forget how ill-prepared this team was coming off a bye.

36 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Sounds like Raheem is VERY well aware of how sucky this defense truly is. 

26 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Curios to see how the season plays out.  Raheem is growing on me.  Maybe a situation where if the GM is cool with it you give Raheem a one year prove it type deal.  

Stability, this Franchise needs stability. AB isnt going to want to hand out a one year deal when there are some really good coaches out there now. I dont think RM is the Answer, not in Atlanta at least. He could (with the right staff) be a fit elsewhere.

The next coach should get a lengthy contract as well. At some point this team has to be re-built. There is no way around it. You cant give a coach 3 years to turn it around when you're supposed to wait 3 years before grading a draft class. 

2 hours ago, blutarski said:

Morris took over with the mindset to win games, and prove his place as a leader and coach in the NFL.  He thought it in his best interest to keep Koetter, and he has reasons to do so; my assumption is, he figured the best way for him to win is have the existing OC stay in place, as there wasn't a better play caller on the current staff. He isn't brining anyone new in the middle the season, that doesn't mean he is attached to Koetter, it is just the best case scenario at the moment.

Exactly as I posted. Like I said, Morris can SAY what he wants about Koetter but what he's thinking could be totally different. I mean Koetter's offense isn't exactly top 5 but it's what we have so why mess with it?

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr
6 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Stability, this Franchise needs stability. AB isnt going to want to hand out a one year deal when there are some really good coaches out there now. I dont think RM is the Answer, not in Atlanta at least. He could (with the right staff) be a fit elsewhere.

The next coach should get a lengthy contract as well. At some point this team has to be re-built. There is no way around it. You cant give a coach 3 years to turn it around when you're supposed to wait 3 years before grading a draft class. 

I don’t see the need for a lengthy rebuild, been saying that before DQ was fired.  I’m not saying I do want Raheem but if the team finishes strong I wouldn’t hate it.  What I would hate is to bring in Bienemy or someone who’s never been a HC at the professional level, he blows up the team, and then he’s gone 3 years from now which is what I could def. see happening.  Anyways... who are these really good coaches you speak of? I can’t think of anyone who really excites me.  

On 11/30/2020 at 3:43 PM, Goober Pyle said:

This is an excerpt from Mike Sando's column today.

4. The Atlanta Falcons have gone 4-2 under interim coach Raheem Morris following an 0-5 start. Don’t forget about Morris in the coming hiring cycle for head coaches.

John Mara, co-owner of the New York Giants, had an admission to make during an offseason seminar for coaches of color. Mara said he had fallen into a common trap when hiring head coaches in the recent past, focusing too much on perceived offensive play-calling ability and not enough on skills that matter most for the role, namely communication and leadership. Time will tell whether Mara hired the right man this year in former Patriots special-teams coach Joe Judge, but the idea he expressed was an important one. Every great head coach can lead and communicate. A smaller number are elite schemers.

Morris has never been an offensive play caller, but anyone who has spent time around him can feel his dynamism. In some ways, Morris is the ideal head coaching candidate. The results he is getting on the field with the Falcons should earn him opportunities to interview if Atlanta doesn’t hire him.

“In a year when the league has spent Zoom after Zoom figuring out how to incentivize teams to hire and even develop minority candidates, here is a guy who has been a head coach once, is still young, has worked on both sides of the ball, including with the top offense in the league (2016 Falcons), and now he gets an 11-game interim run that is the equivalent of a college season,” an exec said. “The guy shows he can motivate and inspire and win games.”

The Falcons’ performance against the Raiders vaulted them to a No. 7 ranking in defensive EPA since Week 6, when Morris took over as head coach. The team was 32nd through Week 5, partly because of a tough early schedule.

This is so important. So many folks here are so obsessed with getting the next big hot shot play caller but forgetting that isn't the most important quality of a HC. Raheem Morris has shown tremendous leadership skills and that's why he will be considered for the job.

8 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

How refreshing, a HC actually taking full responsibility.

Contrast this to DQ’s bull crapola in claiming he’d do it all again and not admitting he froze up in not overruling shanny in those last few minutes of SB 51. 

On 11/30/2020 at 6:57 PM, Malachore said:

Not going to blame Gurley for the defense allowing the other team to march 75 yards for a TD in under a minute. 

True, but why also even put your defense on the field at all. Why put their offense on the field at all if you can win it with a chip shot and dictate the game. 

On 11/30/2020 at 6:23 PM, octoslash said:

I get what you mean but gameplan is out the window when their D line is steamrolling our O line literally every snap.  That loss was due to the Saints just plain beating the s--- out of the Birds physically in the trench.

The only problem with letting DK off the hook is that the tape shows their front 7 is fast. If you scheme for slow developing pass plays, you haven't planned accordingly. DK should have had several plays to mitigate the fast front for the Saints, but he didn't. They ran the same tired routes they've run all season. That much is absolutely on DK.

14 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

That's not situational football. Not only the Falcons, but plenty of teams run a prevent D or soft defense and let teams drive down the field at the end. To your point though, KEEP THEM OUT OF THE ENDZONE. One job. 

It'd be interesting to poll coaches and see what each of them would say. I feel like kneeling and FG to win would be the way to go, but what do I know. I'm just a Couch Potato Coach. 

IMHO, Points > clock. Especially if your defense has held the other team to ONE touchdown all game. The problem here is a mental problem, not a capability problem. "No lead is safe," has become our cultural norm. That's a massive problem. We need to get over the 28-3 mentality and dictate our will to other teams. We aren't, "soft," we're, "scared." Although, with this past week's dominant win, perhaps we're starting to come around...

19 hours ago, falcndave said:

I'll agree to disagree with you here. I think Morris is honest and is expressing his actual opinion about DK. It doesn't mean he will keep him if giving the gig. He may prefer a different offensive approach. But, I think Morris really does consider DK an excellent coordinator. I have no reason to doubt his honesty. 

Yep agree - I expressed this in a previous post. DK is not the reason we are 4-7 instead of 7-4. Our passing offence was the 4th ranked by the numbers and our losses were on poor coaching and defensive play. But I agree that if Raheem gets the HC gig then I think he will certainly scapegoat DK. That will be the necessary trade off to appease Arty

20 hours ago, k-train said:

Koo has only missed one FG attempt all year.

And that was a 48 yarder in the game vs Chicago where he got hurt & had to sit out the following week. So I'm not sure that can really be considered "pretty easy by NFL standards."

He's missed 3XPs all year.

One came in week one... with a rookie punter holding for him for the first time ever, a shortened offseason to get things worked out, and no preseason games to get warmed up/on the same page.

This continued into the week 3 game vs Chicago where the 2nd XP was missed as well as that 48Y FG, and you could tell from their way they spoke to each other following the kicks in those early season games that they were still trying to get on the same page with the holds.

The 3rd XP miss came in the game vs Carolina when a tropical storm was literally passing through Charlotte at the time, causing wind gusts of up to 70MPH.

Koo has been absolutely perfect outside of two bad holds, an injured hammy, and a natural disaster.

Yeah they are crazy with all these what ifs and hypotheticals. If the game is on the line i trust koo more than i do this offense.