Jump to content

Small Note on Raheem from The Athletic


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

Maybe Morris is also thinking the way some of us here are also...who would he get to replace him? Also the offensive "continuity" ūüôĄ would be broken.

Do you believe Morris would keep DK around for sake of continuity if actually though he was a bum?  He didn't keep Takk around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not going to blame Gurley for the defense allowing the other team to march 75 yards for a TD in under a minute. 

This is an excerpt from Mike Sando's column today.   4. The Atlanta Falcons have gone 4-2 under interim coach Raheem Morris following an 0-5 start. Don’t forget about Morris in the coming hi

Yep. Him and Quinn are nothing alike to me. After all the smoke cleared I think Quinn confuses players. They may like him but he’s confusing. Morris, on the other hand, is absolutely GREAT at communic

4 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

 The GM thing is an issue.

If you hire a GM....that guy should have a say in the coach.

Just like a new coach should have say over who are his coordinators.

 

One of the reasons why we should have waited to fire TD IMO.

I agree. I think McKay's comments that "we can hire either position first" was one of the most concerning statements I've heard around this whole situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falcndave said:

Do you believe Morris would keep DK around for sake of continuity if actually though he was a bum?  He didn't keep Takk around. 

Takk clearly expressed not wanting to be here. That could cause a serious cancer if you don't go ahead and cut the head off that snake early. Especially if you're serious about a head coaching job. Raheem speaks positive about Koetter but I mean we all can't be naive here...Why throw Koetter under the bus RIGHT NOW when he's pretty much all you have at the moment? Who would replace Koetter in the middle of this lost season? Knapp? (God no). Who knows where Morris mind is right now about Koetter. If it were me, might as well ride this train out with Koetter till the end of the season and if AB decides to hire me THEN I'll let Blank know Koetter can't be here if I'm HC and he's expecting me to succeed with this offensive talent.

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Malachore said:

Not going to blame Gurley for the defense allowing the other team to march 75 yards for a TD in under a minute. 

I won't blame Gurley, but I do blame Radio for not calling 3 kneel downs and kicking a game-winning chipshot at the end of regulation. He even risked handoffs and a fumble and if you remember Gurley did fumble but luckily we recovered. That is poor HCing there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

That’s Pete Carroll too

Of course, we have had many discussions of Pete during the Quinn era. I know I've probably mentioned in 20 or more threads that other than Pete Carroll, I really can't name one coach that has sustained success who is predominantly an emotional leader. I can think of guys who have had great seasons...but they tend to run hot or cold like Quinn. Think of Quinn's career. Both within seasons and within games, there are streaks of one direction or the other. When I think of guys with long consistent runs, names that come to mind are  Tomlin, Cowart (first half of career), Landry, Shula. I'm sure their are emotional coaches who have sustained 3-4 year runs. The point is, there are many more who fall more into other leadership camps. Some would say Cowart is an emotional leader. I think of him more as an emotional person with a autocratic leadership style. 

Also, just for clarity, I'm not really talking about "emotional" leaders in an academic sense. In an academic sense, "motivational" would be a better word choice. Motivational leadership types include coaches (motivational), visionaries (inspirational), and pacesetters (helpful / motivational). Most of the guys in the list above are autocratic (authoritarian / results-focused), bureaucratic (hierarchical / duty focused), and transactional (performance focused). 

My overall point is chances are that your taking a chance if you choose a Rah Rah type guy. I'm not saying it can't work. 

In the specific case of Morris, maybe with a longer term he will prove to be more of a transformational leader (challenging and communicative) than a coach/visionary (motivator). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My only issue with keeping Morris is the offense needs a FULL rehaul on the coaching side and I don't think we get that if we keep Morris. OC is trash. Knapp is just there. Morgan is trash. It's just a bad group of coaches on that side of the ball. With so much money tied up over there and the coming cap compression, I just can't support Morris as HC if it's more of the same on offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 4:56 AM, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

Takk clearly expressed not wanting to be here. That could cause a serious cancer if you don't go ahead and cut the head off that snake early. Especially if you're serious about a head coaching job. Raheem speaks positive about Koetter but I mean we all can't be naive here...Why throw Koetter under the bus RIGHT NOW when he's pretty much all you have at the moment? Who would replace Koetter in the middle of this lost season? Knapp? (God no). Who knows where Morris mind is right now about Koetter. If it were me, might as well ride this train out with Koetter till the end of the season and if AB decides to hire me THEN I'll let Blank know Koetter can't be here if I'm HC and he's expecting me to succeed with this offensive talent.

I'll agree to disagree with you here. I think Morris is honest and is expressing his actual opinion about DK. It doesn't mean he will keep him if given the gig. He may prefer a different offensive approach. But, I think Morris really does consider DK an excellent coordinator. I have no reason to doubt his honesty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

If we continue to play strong, I'd have zero problems with hiring him. By "play strong", I mean beat Kansas City, New Orleans and at least split with Tampa Bay.

If Morris can get this team to get revenge on NO by flipping the script from the previous game against them & blowing them out, at least splitting with TB (if not sweeping them), and managing to beat KC... he absolutely deserves real consideration for the full-time gig.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

As great as Koo has been. A couple of the shots that he has missed ( really the only ones that he has missed) were pretty easy by nfl standards.

 

 

Koo has only missed one FG attempt all year.

And that was a 48 yarder in the game vs Chicago where he got hurt & had to sit out the following week. So I'm not sure that can really be considered "pretty easy by NFL standards."

He's missed 3XPs all year.

One came in week one... with a rookie punter holding for him for the first time ever, a shortened offseason to get things worked out, and no preseason games to get warmed up/on the same page.

This continued into the week 3 game vs Chicago where the 2nd XP was missed as well as that 48Y FG, and you could tell from their way they spoke to each other following the kicks in those early season games that they were still trying to get on the same page with the holds.

The 3rd XP miss came in the game vs Carolina when a tropical storm was literally passing through Charlotte at the time, causing wind gusts of up to 70MPH.

Koo has been absolutely perfect outside of two bad holds, an injured hammy, and a natural disaster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, k-train said:

Koo has only missed one FG attempt all year.

And that was a 48 yarder in the game vs Chicago where he got hurt & had to sit out the following week. So I'm not sure that can really be considered "pretty easy by NFL standards."

He's missed 3XPs all year.

One came in week one... with a rookie punter holding for him for the first time ever, a shortened offseason to get things worked out, and no preseason games to get warmed up/on the same page.

This continued into the week 3 game vs Chicago where the 2nd XP was missed as well as that 48Y FG, and you could tell from their way they spoke to each other following the kicks in those early season games that they were still trying to get on the same page with the holds.

The 3rd XP miss came in the game vs Carolina when a tropical storm was literally passing through Charlotte at the time, causing wind gusts of up to 70MPH.

Koo has been absolutely perfect outside of two bad holds, an injured hammy, and a natural disaster.

Thank you! Put some Respek on Koo's name. Kneel that ball down 3 times. Kick the chip shot and beat the Lions. That easy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, k-train said:

Koo has only missed one FG attempt all year.

And that was a 48 yarder in the game vs Chicago where he got hurt & had to sit out the following week. So I'm not sure that can really be considered "pretty easy by NFL standards."

He's missed 3XPs all year.

One came in week one... with a rookie punter holding for him for the first time ever, a shortened offseason to get things worked out, and no preseason games to get warmed up/on the same page.

This continued into the week 3 game vs Chicago where the 2nd XP was missed as well as that 48Y FG, and you could tell from their way they spoke to each other following the kicks in those early season games that they were still trying to get on the same page with the holds.

The 3rd XP miss came in the game vs Carolina when a tropical storm was literally passing through Charlotte at the time, causing wind gusts of up to 70MPH.

Koo has been absolutely perfect outside of two bad holds, an injured hammy, and a natural disaster.

so then you're saying there's absolutely positively no way he could have ever in a million gazillion years missed. 

gotcha.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcndave said:

I'll agree to disagree with you here. I think Morris is honest and is expressing his actual opinion about DK. It doesn't mean he will keep him if giving the gig. He may prefer a different offensive approach. But, I think Morris really does consider DK an excellent coordinator. I have no reason to doubt his honesty. 

All I can say is we'll see what happens at the end of the season...but remember, when you talk about Raheem's honesty...he also said we were the more physical team when we played the Saints. I hope you didn't believe that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Falcons finish 8-8 or better, then I think AB will be all for hiring Raheem for the HC position. However, I also believe that AB is going to let his new GM make the decision on the hire. 

I'll say this. I was never a Raheem fan, but I can definitely see a difference in the defenses attitude since he took over. I also have a feeling that Raheem is destined for success at the HC level, whether it's with the Falcons or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

All I can say is we'll see what happens at the end of the season...but remember, when you talk about Raheem's honesty...he also said we were the more physical team when we played the Saints. I hope you didn't believe that. 

Falcons D vs. Saints O, the Falcons were more physical. Not on the other side of the ball, however. The coaches film from that game is a good watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

Mehhhh. I get what you are saying. But kneeling the ball and kicking the FG is the better move there. We'd be 5-1 and I think you know that. 

Disagree.  We're talking about the Falcons. We could have fumbled on the next play, or botched a snap, missed the field goal, etc. Frankly, everything about this situation is toxic as ****, and is the perfect illustration of how/why our culture sucks. As much of a fan of Matt Ryan as I am, he was completely wrong in this situation.

If I'm the coach, I'm taking those points 10/10 times. The attitude of, "oh no, we scored too soon," is a defeatist attitude, and it's no wonder we lose in those situations. Have some **** confidence in your team. There was only 1 minute left, and our defense had only given up one touchdown the whole game. Our attitude should have been, "We freaking got this.  Defense has shut them down all game, and they can't settle for a FG. This game is ours."  But no...  We're thinking that we've already lost this one because we scored a TD. <sigh>

And why in the **** did we go for 2 on the conversion?  it was 20-16. A field goal doesn't change anything, and a touchdown doesn't change anything. Just kick the PAT and move on. I dunno...  Maybe Koo was hurt or something...  <shrug>  Or maybe the culture sucks to the point that the coaches are unable to do math.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

Takk clearly expressed not wanting to be here. That could cause a serious cancer if you don't go ahead and cut the head off that snake early. Especially if you're serious about a head coaching job. Raheem speaks positive about Koetter but I mean we all can't be naive here...Why throw Koetter under the bus RIGHT NOW when he's pretty much all you have at the moment? Who would replace Koetter in the middle of this lost season? Knapp? (God no). Who knows where Morris mind is right now about Koetter. If it were me, might as well ride this train out with Koetter till the end of the season and if AB decides to hire me THEN I'll let Blank know Koetter can't be here if I'm HC and he's expecting me to succeed with this offensive talent.

Morris took over with the mindset to win games, and prove his place as a leader and coach in the NFL.  He thought it in his best interest to keep Koetter, and he has reasons to do so; my assumption is, he figured the best way for him to win is have the existing OC stay in place, as there wasn't a better play caller on the current staff. He isn't brining anyone new in the middle the season, that doesn't mean he is attached to Koetter, it is just the best case scenario at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see what happens this week before we hire Raheem.. we dominated an overrated team with a quarterback having maybe the worst game of his life. Two weeks earlier we were dominated by Taysum Hill. We can pin that loss on DK's horrible scheme and game plan, but that's where Morris needs to step in and tell DK what he expects. Something Quinn would never do..

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, robertap said:

Disagree.  We're talking about the Falcons. We could have fumbled on the next play, or botched a snap, missed the field goal, etc. Frankly, everything about this situation is toxic as ****, and is the perfect illustration of how/why our culture sucks. As much of a fan of Matt Ryan as I am, he was completely wrong in this situation.

If I'm the coach, I'm taking those points 10/10 times. The attitude of, "oh no, we scored too soon," is a defeatist attitude, and it's no wonder we lose in those situations. Have some **** confidence in your team. There was only 1 minute left, and our defense had only given up one touchdown the whole game. Our attitude should have been, "We freaking got this.  Defense has shut them down all game, and they can't settle for a FG. This game is ours."  But no...  We're thinking that we've already lost this one because we scored a TD. <sigh>

And why in the **** did we go for 2 on the conversion?  it was 20-16. A field goal doesn't change anything, and a touchdown doesn't change anything. Just kick the PAT and move on. I dunno...  Maybe Koo was hurt or something...  <shrug>  Or maybe the culture sucks to the point that the coaches are unable to do math.

That's not situational football. Not only the Falcons, but plenty of teams run a prevent D or soft defense and let teams drive down the field at the end. To your point though, KEEP THEM OUT OF THE ENDZONE. One job. 

It'd be interesting to poll coaches and see what each of them would say. I feel like kneeling and FG to win would be the way to go, but what do I know. I'm just a Couch Potato Coach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...