Coaching Staff Poll  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you at currently?

• Blow it all up. All these guys own the failures of the DQ era and need to go.
    • Don't want to blow it up but just think we can do so much better with all new folks.
    • Keep Morris at HC and Ulbrich at DC but get rid of Koetter.
    • Keep Morris and Ulbrich at DC/LB coach but get rid of Koetter
    • Keep all three as they are now.
    • Other... (post)

This is a very hard call. There are issues with the culture in the building, and I don't know how firmly entrenched those cultural issues are with the temporary staff. It is obvious that this team has some considerable decision making issues, but all but a handful of NFL teams do.

IMHO, it starts at the top. AB needs to get out of the way entirely and let whoever takes over, run the show. Stay in the box.

In 2016 we were put in a position that we knew kyle got us to the Superbowl but how can you fire a head coach who just got to the Superbowl so we had to let it play out.last year we went on a run at the end of the year and still felt like he deserved a chance.now we have Morris and i dont want to be put in a position that we have to keep him just not to look bad.i just want a fresh start.we haven't beat anyone of significance yet.raiders beat themselves.blow up the staf but not the team.they have some good pieces just need a good draft and a few singings.we are back in buisness.

I chose to keep Morris as HC and Ulbrich as DC and dump Koetter. I look for leadership from a head coach with some football IQ and in-game management. I think Raheem has learned a lot from his first stint. . . . and is still learning. This season is the training wheels for him. I like what I see from Ulbrich and I like his resume of experience. This may be his opportunity for permanent promotion to DC. Koetter must go; I didn’t like the re-hire from the jump. Same issues we saw back then are the same issues we still see. The game has passed him by. He is stuck in 2007.

Edited by Halcon-1
2 hours ago, robertap said:

This is a very hard call. There are issues with the culture in the building, and I don't know how firmly entrenched those cultural issues are with the temporary staff. It is obvious that this team has some considerable decision making issues, but all but a handful of NFL teams do.

IMHO, it starts at the top. AB needs to get out of the way entirely and let whoever takes over, run the show. Stay in the box.

One reason I voted keep Morris and Ulbrich at DC but fire Koetter is I think Morris with this turnaround has bought himself some clout with Blank, and is a strong enough personality to say "you know, everything I've done so far has been moving this team in the right direction -- you need to trust me and let me handle this."

Whether Blank will listen or not is anyone's guess, and whether McKay will try to big boy him is as well.  But the truth is, Morris has this team trending in the right direction, and I'm loving what we are seeing from the defense.  Get him an OC and I can see this working out very, very well.

The other thing is I haven't seen anyone out there I trust to be better than Morris at this point.  Bienemy, Carmichael, all those guys are unknown quantities as head coaches.  Morris has this team playing hard.  Given some more defensive talent and a better OC, I see little need to change him out for a complete unknown that might work out great, but history shows us probably won't.  Great teams start out as consistent teams.  This team isn't quite there yet, but we're trending in the right direction under Morris's leadership.  Just for him to take the team that went 0-5 and have them decimate the Raiders like he just did is super impressive.  Not to mention I am confident his leadership on the defense sparked that turnaround last season, and let's be honest, the offense wasn't exactly lights out at the end of last season either.  We needed a pick 6 to beat the Bucs.

Being as level-headed, even-keeled, and objective as possible, even if we brought in a HC, we still need a GM.

I’m not expecting a SB appearance next season with Raheem or new coaching staff.  

This is going to take time either way. Rather a re-tooling and take a season or two to compete consistently every season than a flash in the pan rookie HC SB appearance and mediocrity for a time after that.

If you had asked this same question last week this time, I suspect the poll response would be dramatically for getting rid of the entire staff.

However, Raheem and Ulbrich responded this week with a dream defensive performance giving them some poll favorability.  If we match yesterday with a stunning defensive performance against the Saints the 2nd time around this week, they will really build some positive value.

Koetter, though, remains questionable.  Even with 43 points scored yesterday, our offense did not really excel as the defense provided most of the strong field positions.  Sure, Koetter has had some injuries to deal with this season but nothing more than other teams have faced.  And, lack of talent or inexperience are also not valid excuses with how less productive our offense has been this year versus past.

None of the 3 have earned a chance to hang around next year yet and these last 5 games must be almost exceptional for them, especially Koetter, if they want to hang around.