Can we make a run at Wildcard?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Yesterday was a win, but it didn't say anything about the team.  The Raiders literally gave the game away.  We put up 36 offensive points, but Matt Ryan threw for 185 yards.  Just saying, we

I hope the Birds are still hurting over that Stinktown embarrassment enough to go out there and get some payback Sunday.  That was one disgusting display of football.       

KC threw for 480 yards and got only 27 points. There are a lot of things that have to come together for a win but it's not always what you expect it to be.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Man we beat the Saints and Bucs twice this may get interesting. Gotta score more TDs vs FGs in the red zone but I'm saying there is a chance. A small one but there is one. That Dallas and Detroit games sting a little more now. 

I think we would have to win out and finish 9-7.  That would mean beating Saints, TB 2x and KC.  So... If you think that's possible Vegas will give you +1700 odds.

No.

Yesterday was a win, but it didn't say anything about the team.  The Raiders literally gave the game away.  We put up 36 offensive points, but Matt Ryan threw for 185 yards.  Just saying, we had short fields and the Raiders gave the game away.  I don't think that means the Falcons are playoff worthy or even close.

This team, isn't ready.  They can't put together a game plan and execute to beat a competent group.  So what I'm trying to say is, if they were to find their way into the playoffs by some stretch of the imagination, it would be a quick exit.  This is not a good team.  Just my opinion, but I think it needs to be rebuilt.

Just now, isproab said:

No.

Yesterday was a win, but it didn't say anything about the team.  The Raiders literally gave the game away.  We put up 36 offensive points, but Matt Ryan threw for 185 yards.  Just saying, we had short fields and the Raiders gave the game away.  I don't think that means the Falcons are playoff worthy or even close.

This team, isn't ready.  They can't put together a game plan and execute to beat a competent group.  So what I'm trying to say is, if they were to find their way into the playoffs by some stretch of the imagination, it would be a quick exit.  This is not a good team.  Just my opinion, but I think it needs to be rebuilt.

KC threw for 480 yards and got only 27 points. There are a lot of things that have to come together for a win but it's not always what you expect it to be.

Gotta go 4-1 or 5-0 down this remaining stretch. I initially said there was no way and this team is closing out 5-11 or 6-10, but I didn't expect the team to beat the Raiders so that's already thrown off. 3 of our remaining games are ones I thought we'd win (split with Bucs, split with Saints, beat Chargers) so really they just have to beat the Chiefs or sweep the Bucs and there's at least a shot.

The teams looking at WC spots right now are:

Rams (7-4)

Bucs (7-5)

Cardinals (6-5)

Vikings (5-6)

49ers (5-6)

Not including the bears since they're shooting down to earth. Again...hard, but not impossible.

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Gotta go 4-1 or 5-0 down this remaining stretch. I initially said there was no way and this team is closing out 5-11 or 6-10, but I didn't expect the team to beat the Raiders so that's already thrown off. 3 of our remaining games are ones I thought we'd win (split with Bucs, split with Saints, beat Chargers) so really they just have to beat the Chiefs or sweep the Bucs and there's at least a shot.

Rams (7-4)

Bucs (7-5)

Cardinals (6-5)

Vikings (5-6)

49ers (5-6)

Not including the bears since they're shooting down to earth. Again...hard, but not impossible.

Indeed....the chances are slim....but not none yet

Just now, falcndave said:

The math is pretty simple. If the Falcons win out (KC?), then they need Arizona to lose the games it should (LAR X 2), plus one it should not (SF, NYG, PHI). 

Forgot the other assumption. This assumes the team with the best winning percentage wins all remaining games (other than those quoted above). That doesn't usually happen, but its not far fetched.

The most likely real world scenario is that the Falcons could totally rain on the Bucs playoff parade. 

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

So the Chiefs were extra "EXPLOSIVE" on offense, but only scored 27 points and still won the game.  I didn't pay close attention to the game, but that to me that says, when/if they get it together, they are going to blow doors.  

Mahomes is on my fantasy team, he puts up big numbers on nearly a weekly basis.  An off week for them is only scoring 27 points.  They are on the opposite end (the positive end) of what the Falcons are.  These are two different teams.  One that usually dominates and wins, one that usually is dominated and loses.  I just don't see anything worth saving with ATL in this season.  Not saying they should quit, but I think Blank is headed in the right direction.  Coach/GM fired.  Just waiting for it to officially be over so more heads roll.

4 minutes ago, isproab said:

So the Chiefs were extra "EXPLOSIVE" on offense, but only scored 27 points and still won the game.  I didn't pay close attention to the game, but that to me that says, when/if they get it together, they are going to blow doors.  

Mahomes is on my fantasy team, he puts up big numbers on nearly a weekly basis.  An off week for them is only scoring 27 points.  They are on the opposite end (the positive end) of what the Falcons are.  These are two different teams.  One that usually dominates and wins, one that usually is dominated and loses.  I just don't see anything worth saving with ATL in this season.  Not saying they should quit, but I think Blank is headed in the right direction.  Coach/GM fired.  Just waiting for it to officially be over so more heads roll.

They got it together, no doubt. But their offense can be one dimensional. The numbers were gaudy but with 4 minutes left the Bucs still had a shot. Every game can be won by any NFL team, even the Jets. It's what makes the game so much fun. 

Watching the second half of the Chiefs Bucs I saw two offenses very similar to what Koetter used to do (circa 2012). Not sure what the heck he is doing now. If Matt was allowed to sling the ball down field in a spread formation like Mahomes or Brady, he would have much greater success Instead, he is waiting for his receivers to not bunch up in front of him. 

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Rams (7-4)

Bucs (7-5)

Cardinals (6-5)

Vikings (5-6)

49ers (5-6)

Not to wish for it...but...if covid protocols hit and the playoffs got expanded to 16 teams and we play like we did yesterday...I'm here for it.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Not to wish for it...but...if covid protocols hit and the playoffs got expanded to 16 teams and we play like we did yesterday...I'm here for it.

The broncos debacle and whatever is happening with BAL/PITT should be enough for the NFL to prepare for the worst. What happens if a team with a superstar QB does the same thing as the Broncos. What if KC can't start a QB, does the NFL make them play? Probably not. 

The Detroit/Dallas/Chicago/1st Carolina loss make it tough cause we lose a lot of tiebreakers due to poor conference record.  If we had won any two of those four we likely are firmly in the discussion.  Probably unlikely at this point but not impossible.  We would have to bring this weeks level of intensity every game though because the competition just keeps getting better.  

Either way I think its worth noting that after giving up 30+ pts. Defensively each of ther first 4 games we have not allowed a team over 28 points since.  Our D is nowhere near elite but it has become quietly passable.  And with all the young players under team control on that side we might be in better long term shape than we thought.  Ulbrich also deserves a lot of credit for the confidence he has these guys playing with.  Maybe deserves a longer look depending on how this season closes out 

Edited by #84
36 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yep. Really wishing Quinn got at least 1 win right now. Enough to still get fired but leave us a better shot at a WC spot.

Being a broken record and all...

We should have won those 3 games....we could have won 4 ... But we strait up should be 7-4 right now.

If.....and it is a big if....we some how sneak into the playoffs then Morris deserves the job and coach of the year.

7 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

If you view our chances of making a run at the playoffs, those are some long odds.  Doesn't seem reasonable to think we will go 5-0 the rest of the season but going 1-0 every week for the next five weeks seems doable somehow.

And that is it 

It is cliche but it is true.....it is one game at a time.