Matt Ryan's Future w/ Falcons

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

"Yes, Ryan still produces. He’s third in the league in total passing yards. He can still manage to grade highly and put up good numbers. But does it matter? Not really. He realistically could’ve thrown 60 passes on Sunday for 500 yards and the Falcons probably still lose because Ryan’s athletic profile limits his efficiency upside. "

IMG_20200513_191120.jpg.c551158b51dc2156d7ffdaeada8f710c.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's about as football ignorant as comments get

Maybe that’s why the OP isn’t sourced!

Hot take there. I don't know how Ryan can deal with that.  Honestly, that article is worse than most of the posts on this site. No stats. No context. Just pushing a narrative. Ryan, and the entir

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Well, it Is the day after stuffing myself with mucho thanksgiving turkey, my man. :ninja:

Lmaooooo. I feel you. I also don’t think it’s fair to say that me saying Matt Ryan’s mobility is not good anymore + that he’s on the way out is wrong. I think those are both true statements 

𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐚 𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐞 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐟𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭.  𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐩 5 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐐𝐁.  𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐬𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡.  𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐲 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐭 #5, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐡𝐢𝐦

𝐍𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐐𝐁 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 38. 𝐀𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐂𝐀𝐏  

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐐𝐁 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐚 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤.  𝐈𝐟 𝐚 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐰𝐚𝐩 1𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚 2𝐧𝐝, 3𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 1𝐬𝐭, 𝐈 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤.  𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞:

2021 𝐍𝐅𝐋 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐅𝐓
12𝐭𝐡: 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐮 (𝐄𝐝𝐠𝐞)
37𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐧 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 (𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐲)
44𝐭𝐡: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐝 (𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲)
69𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐬 (𝐃𝐋)
76𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬 (𝐑𝐁)
100𝐭𝐡: 𝐓𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲 (𝐖𝐑)
132𝐧𝐝: 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐑𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐡  (𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐄)
164𝐭𝐡: 𝐃𝐞𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐨𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐋𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐫 (𝐂𝐁)

2022 𝐍𝐅𝐋 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭
𝐔𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 1𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐐𝐁 𝐒𝐚𝐦 𝐇𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐐𝐁  𝐉𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐬
49 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

Lmaooooo. I feel you. I also don’t think it’s fair to say that me saying Matt Ryan’s mobility is not good anymore + that he’s on the way out is wrong. I think those are both true statements 

Unfair how? I obviously disagreed with your (IMO) bad take.

Surely as a writer you are more thicker-skinned than that.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐚 𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐞 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐟𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐨 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭.  𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐩 5 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐐𝐁.  𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐬𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡.  𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐲 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐙𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐭 #5, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐡𝐢𝐦

𝐍𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐐𝐁 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 38. 𝐀𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐑𝐲𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐂𝐀𝐏  

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐐𝐁 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐚 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤.  𝐈𝐟 𝐚 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐰𝐚𝐩 1𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚 2𝐧𝐝, 3𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 1𝐬𝐭, 𝐈 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤.  𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞:

2021 𝐍𝐅𝐋 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐅𝐓
12𝐭𝐡: 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐮 (𝐄𝐝𝐠𝐞)
37𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐧 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 (𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐲)
44𝐭𝐡: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐝 (𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲)
69𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐬 (𝐃𝐋)
76𝐭𝐡: 𝐉𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬 (𝐑𝐁)
100𝐭𝐡: 𝐓𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲 (𝐖𝐑)
132𝐧𝐝: 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐑𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐡  (𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐄)
164𝐭𝐡: 𝐃𝐞𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐨𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐋𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐫 (𝐂𝐁)

2022 𝐍𝐅𝐋 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭
𝐔𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 1𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐐𝐁 𝐒𝐚𝐦 𝐇𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭 𝐐𝐁  𝐉𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐬

One day, folks in here are gonna grasp the fact that defense is still what wins championships. 

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Unfair how? I obviously disagreed with your take.

I dont get how you can. Matt Ryan is 35***, not mobile or at least not nearly as mobile as he once was, and with our draft position, a quarterback makes a ton of sense. I dont understand where you're lost

Edited by CMarinoNFL
3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

One day, folks in here are gonna grasp the fact that defense is still what wins championships. 

I'd take a run game too. We live and die by our offense being able to pick up third and long. First down runs between 0-2 yards is the biggest Falcons meme besides blowing leads.

I know everyone gets excited by the idea of a new QB, but it's hard for me to get excited about drafting a QB that won't play for 3 years that will more likely than not be a downgrade from Ryan. 

10 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

I dont get how you can. Matt Ryan is 38, not mobile or at least not nearly as mobile as he once was, and with our draft position, a quarterback makes a ton of sense. I dont understand where you're lost

I know Mobile QBs are the in-vogue thingy, but just because a QB can run doesn’t make him the next sure thing. 

Have you even watched Ryan this year? I could argue he’s been more mobile this season than any year previously. And he’s had to because of Koetter’s unimaginative play calling and mediocre OL pass protection. 

And FYI, he’s 35 not 38.

Im not the one lost, I’m just not buying into your bad (IMO) narrative. Bad coaching and bad defense is this team’s bigger problems, not QB play.

8 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

I dont get how you can. Matt Ryan is 38, not mobile or at least not nearly as mobile as he once was, and with our draft position, a quarterback makes a ton of sense. I dont understand where you're lost

I might be missing something here in context but Matt Ryan won’t be 38 until 2023.

11 minutes ago, PuppyMonster said:

I'd take a run game too. We live and die by our offense being able to pick up third and long. First down runs between 0-2 yards is the biggest Falcons meme besides blowing leads.

I know everyone gets excited by the idea of a new QB, but it's hard for me to get excited about drafting a QB that won't play for 3 years that will more likely than not be a downgrade from Ryan. 

Exactly. Do like broncos did when Elway was in the twilight of his career, build a running game and defense to compliment Matt’s still top 10 QB in league skill set. You’ll have a much better chance of returning to a SB in our lifetime than hoping some wet-behind-the-ears college QB from a program bullying weaker college opponents gets his *** handed to him for next 3-4 years in the grown up nfl. 

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That's the thing. I think people do realize that, they just process it in a more realistic way. It's **** hard to build a great defense when you have to pay a franchise QB and all the weapons that people say he requires.

Some of you guys around here want to have your cake and eat it too.

We need Matt

We need Julio

Matt needs more weapons

Matt needs an elite O-line 

How are you supposed to build a top 10 defense when you are paying out the *** for a franchise QB that requires so much offensive talent around him to be successful?

Edited by Snafu
10 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

This is why it's hard to take what you write seriously, my man.

You got no connections & you can't even get the simplest of facts straight.

Just now, Vandy said:

I know Mobile QBs are the in vogue thingy, but just because a QB can run doesn’t make him the next sure thing. 

Have you even watched Ryan this year? I could argue he’s been more mobile this season than any year previously. And he’s had to. 

Im not lost, I’m just not buying into your bad (IMO) narrative.

You dont have to buy into any narrative. Do you think a new front office with a top 5 pick will think Matt Ryan is mobile/athletic enough to deploy for another 5 years or do you think just maybe theyd endorse a new QB? 

Agreed. Just because a QB can run doesnt make him good. Id argue that a QB that cant run has to compensate with a great arm, though, and I dont think Matt has a huge arm. Did you watch Matt against New Orleans? Scary flashes of worrisome veteran mishaps. 

Were all subject to our own opinions and I respect yours, but I dont see Ryan as a guy who, given all circumstances, will be around for much longer (gone by 2023-24). Hes been really productive all season and isnt having a bad season by any means. Thats not what im saying. I just think a new FO is likely to overlook his production and move on given his age, old school QB style and value of draft pick. 

14 hours ago, CMarinoNFL said:

Falcons fans, I wrote this. Shoot me any questions, concerns or constructive criticism. I am a credentialed writer but I'm also not perfect. Love to hear ways I can improve. I think his athletic profile does limit him from playing to his best ability. I think he's good. Let me reiterate that. I just struggle to see him performing at a high level down the road given the way NFL defenses are leaning and the way Ryan's body and legs are evolving.

Also, I will admit when Im wrong. At the end of the day im a fan too. Just love to write. Some opinions are bad and some are good!

Thank you, guys!

OK, this is meant to be constructive.  You have taken enough shots and I like the way you stepped up. 

You stated that the concensus around the league is the OL is mostly to blame.  I would recheck that.  They started with decent pass blocking.  What changed?  Receivers stopped getting open and Ryan was left holding the ball in the pocket.  I do not blame Ryan for holding on to the ball.  If he threw it away on all these plays we would still have all of those three and outs. 

Ryan's level of play is on decline.  This is a true statement.  But, this is about the future of the team.  When looking at the disaster in the Superdome, this was not a contributing factor.  There were other problems.  Huge problems.

"Ryan’s athletic profile limits his efficiency upside."  I am not sure what this means.  Ryan is very efficient.  I think it means he is not a mobile QB.  He never has been.  A mobile QB may have gotten crushed against the Saints.  Again, this is not paramount to what went wrong against the Saints.

"Every 10-yard play is negated by him taking a 12-yard sack the very next play due to his inability to escape an internal pocket collapse."  You know what is wrong with that statement.  You could have gotten away with stating when something like this happened.  But, every 10 yard play.  You must know better than that.

"How many of those traits does Matt Ryan have today?"  OK, possibly accurate.  You do know Ryan has positive traits that some of the mentioned QBs do not have.  You could have made fair comparisons and established that Ryan is on the decline and the Falcons need a replacement in development.

"Athletes like Brian Burns and T.J. Watt are the new type of pass rusher and that prototype is making it extremely tough for non-mobile quarterbacks to survive."  No.  You are letting Dirk Koetter off the hook with that type of short sighted comment.  Pocket passers can pick defenses apart, even with great edge rushers.  We have seen it many times.  You cannot do that calling the same lame long developing route plays time and again.  Koetter made the entire offense look bad against the Saints. 

How much longer does Ryan want to play?  You cannot get in his head even with a personal interview.  Stay away from prognostications.  They will burn you most of the time.

Regarding new coaching staff and QBs, you do know we can draft a QB and keep Ryan.  If we hire the right coaching staff, they will play guys who can win while they develop their team.  If they like the offense without Dirk Koetter crapping on it, Ryan may prove pivotal in developing a new QB.

Ryan is in decline.  But, to say regression is clear is ignoring the greatest issues the Falcons have now.  I want to see Ryan perform with a good gameplan before I form a strong opinion on how much he has declined.  There is some, such as arm strength.  As well, his experience and knowledge brings positives to the game.  How does it all balance out?  I would like to see that when Koetter is not calling games.

Do you understand that Ryan has never been mobile?  How do you think he has kept his starting job all these seasons?  Seriously.  Think about this.

I doubt that Arthur Blank is hanging on to those loyal tendencies.  He has suffered too much at the hands of imposters like Petrino and Quinn.  I suspect he is better described as angry and aggressive today.  That is just a guess.  I do not know Arthur Blank.

While I would like the perfect QB, great passer, great with defensive reads, savvy, deceptive on hand-offs, protects the ball well, and mobile, we cannot pick one or two of those traits and say we need that now.  We need the best QB we can draft and put in development.

I hope I have not come across as too harsh.  These comments are just my opinion of what was stated and how this article could have been better.  Keep at it.  The short of it is we are seeing this offense, including Matt Ryan, through stained glass.  Get Koetter out of the way, give the offense a good gameplan with good game time adjustments, and then we can do a much better evaluation.  JMHO, but Ryan is not done.

Edited by NaGaBoy
15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

That's the thing. I think people do realize that, they just process it in a more realistic way. It's **** hard to build a great defense when you have to pay a franchise QB and all the weapons that people say he requires.

Some of you guys around here want to have your cake and eat it too.

We need Matt

We need Julio

Matt needs more weapons

Matt needs an elite O-line 

How are you supposed to build a top 10 defense when you are paying out the *** for a franchise QB that requires so much offensive talent around him to be successful?

No it’s not. We have a good base on D to build around, but the coaching under Quinn was terrible. You build a great D thru the draft, not by throwing money at FA player’s from others teams they no longer want.

And cut the BS, I’ve never said Matt needs more weapons. Anyone who knows me knows I’ve been advocating building a defense in here since forever.

5 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

OK, this is meant to be constructive.  You have taken enough shots and I like the way you stepped up. 

You stated that the concensus around the league is the OL is mostly to blame.  I would recheck that.  They started with decent pass blocking.  What changed?  Receivers stopped getting open and Ryan was left holding the ball in the pocket.  I do not blame Ryan for holding on to the ball.  If he threw it away on all these plays we would still have all of those three and outs. 

Ryan's level of play is on decline.  This is a true statement.  But, this is about the future of the team.  When looking at the disaster in the Superdome, this was not a contributing factor.  There were other problems.  Huge problems.

"Ryan’s athletic profile limits his efficiency upside."  I am not sure what this means.  Ryan is very efficient.  I think it means he is not a mobile QB.  He never has been.  A mobile QB may have gotten crushed against the Saints.  Again, this is not paramount to what went wrong against the Saints.

"Every 10-yard play is negated by him taking a 12-yard sack the very next play due to his inability to escape an internal pocket collapse."  You know what is wrong with that statement.  You could have gotten away with stating when something like this happened.  But, every 10 yard play.  You must know better than that.

"How many of those traits does Matt Ryan have today?"  OK, possibly accurate.  You do know Ryan has positive traits that some of the mentioned QBs do not have.  You could have made fair comparisons and established that Ryan is on the decline and the Falcons need a replacement in development.

"Athletes like Brian Burns and T.J. Watt are the new type of pass rusher and that prototype is making it extremely tough for non-mobile quarterbacks to survive."  No.  You are letting Dirk Koetter off the hook with that type of short sighted comment.  Pocket passers can pick defenses apart, even with great edge rushers.  We have seen it many times.  You cannot do that calling the same lame long developing route plays time and again.  Koetter made the entire offense look bad against the Saints. 

How much longer does Ryan want to play?  You cannot get in his head even with a personal interview.  Stay away from prognostications.  They will burn you most of the time.

Regarding new coaching staff and QBs, you do know we can draft a QB and keep Ryan.  If we hire the right coaching staff, they will play guys who can win while they develop their team.  If they like the offense without Dirk Koetter crapping on it, Ryan may prove pivotal in developing a new QB.

Ryan is in decline.  But, to say regression is clear is ignoring the greatest issues the Falcons have now.  I want to see Ryan perform with a good gameplan before I form a strong opinion on how much he has declined.  There is some, such as arm strength.  As well, his experience and knowledge brings positives to the game.  How does it all balance out?  I would like to see that when Koetter is not calling games.

Do you understand that Ryan has never been mobile?  How do you think he has kept his starting job all these seasons?  Seriously.  Think about this.

I doubt that Arthur Blank is hanging on to those loyal tendencies.  He has suffered too much at the hands of imposters like Petrino and Quinn.  I suspect he is better described as angry and aggressive today.  That is just a guess.  I do not know Arthur Blank.

While I would like the perfect QB, great passer, great with defensive reads, savvy, deceptive on hand-offs, protects the ball well, and mobile, we cannot pick one or two of those traits and say we need that now.  We need the best QB we can draft and put in development.

I hope I have not come across as too harsh.  These comments are just my opinion of what was stated and how this article could have been better.  Keep at it.  The short of it is we are seeing this offense, including Matt Ryan, through stained glass.  Get Koetter out of the way, give the offense a good gameplan with good game time adjustments, and then we can do a much better evaluation.  JMHO, but Ryan is not done.

you literally covered every base there, anyone trying to argue against that post is just plain stupid

:golfclap:

29 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

You dont have to buy into any narrative. Do you think a new front office with a top 5 pick will think Matt Ryan is mobile/athletic enough to deploy for another 5 years or do you think just maybe theyd endorse a new QB? 

Agreed. Just because a QB can run doesnt make him good. Id argue that a QB that cant run has to compensate with a great arm, though, and I dont think Matt has a huge arm. Did you watch Matt against New Orleans? Scary flashes of worrisome veteran mishaps. 

Were all subject to our own opinions and I respect yours, but I dont see Ryan as a guy who, given all circumstances, will be around for much longer (gone by 2023-24). Hes been really productive all season and isnt having a bad season by any means. Thats not what im saying. I just think a new FO is likely to overlook his production and move on given his age, old school QB style and value of draft pick. 

That’s fair. I’m just not hung up on the ‘mobile video-game QB’ thing you guys are. 

I’d much rather build the defense through the draft,  bring in a competent coaching staff who knows how to run the football, and keep our franchise QB around while he’s still top tier. When he no longer is that, make the change then.

7 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

Thank you for this. 

1. Receivers not getting open on short routes is a problem, yes, but I think the OL did get destroyed way too often on those short routes.

2.His athletic profile limits how successful he can be down the road if we see a decline in his athleticism and mobility

3.Yeah. I apologize for this. Didnt make sense. Just tried saying too often positive plays were negated by negative plays that stemmed from his pocket presence or hypothetical Lack thereof

4. True.

5. I guess. I just think those guys are gonna start swarming teams with pocket passers and OLs that fall apart

6. true.

7. Truth in here as well.

I see what you’re saying. And I hear you. I just think flashes of what we saw last week shouldn’t be ignored.