Coaching Rumors 2020

Unknøwn

Napier drops out of Auburn's coach search..

AUBURN, Alabama – University of Louisiana head coach Billy Napier has pulled out of Auburn’s search for a replacement for Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, Auburn Undercover has learned. Napier emerged as Auburn’s top candidate, but Auburn administrators were informed Monday that he plans to stay in Louisiana.

Meanwhile, UAB head coach Bill Clark was scheduled to interview today with the advisory group leading Auburn’s search. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables has interviewed but has said privately he is unlikely to leave Clemson, where his two sons are on the team.

Sources say there could be more interviews coming, but for now, unless Venables changes his mind, Clark is the only clear candidate still standing. Kevin Steele, Auburn’s defensive coordinator and interim head coach has not interviewed.

Clark resurrected the UAB program after it was closed down after the 2014 season and has gone 40-22 in five seasons. After going 106-11 in an 18-year span as a high school coach, he spent five seasons as the South Alabama defensive coordinator. He spent one year as the head coach at Jacksonville State before taking over the UAB program in 2014.

The Auburn saga is in its ninth day. President Jay Gogue fired Malzahn last Monday on a recommendation from members of the Board of Trustees. Their plan was to name Steele head coach, bug Gogue balked at moving so quickly and insisted on forming a committee.

And thus it began.

The eight-person committee was formed Tuesday, but only university COO Gen. Ron Burgess, trustee Quentin Riggins and athletics director Allen Greene have interviewed candidates.

Among other names that have surfaced are Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, West Virginia head coach Neal Brown, Oregon coach Mario Cristobal and Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. All either withdrew, declined to interview or were not pursued by Auburn.

Auburn’s committee hopes to have a decision by Wednesday. Failing that, a decision won’t likely come until next week, after Christmas.

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

venables isn't leaving clemson.. he has told those who are in the know he is going to stay at clemson.. it sounds like bill clark may be the hire if they don't widen their scope more.  

Yeah, I dont think Venables is leaving Clemson. I'm starting to think hes waiting to see if Dabo goes to Bama. 

52 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Auburn has a booster problem. The powers down there won't give up control of the football program to a head coach. It's the reason Kirby turned them down and most of the top tier coaches are going to turn it down until they relent. Auburn would be better served getting rid of those guys.

Exactly. No coach worth a darn will take the job as is.

19 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, I dont think Venables is leaving Clemson. I'm starting to think hes waiting to see if Dabo goes to Bama. 

Venables is a weird guy. Not sure how he'll do as a head coach or who would really be willing to hire him for the job to be honest. Some guys are just better coordinators and IMO he's one of them.

26 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Bill Clark would really be an underwhelming hire honestly. Especially when you fire a guy and pay him $21 million to go away 

Bill Clark is a solid coach but that last bit is the killer. You can't pay $21M and then fail to lure a big name guy. If I'm paying $21M I want Urban Meyer to walk through that door.

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Bill Clark would really be an underwhelming hire honestly. Especially when you fire a guy and pay him $21 million to go away 

What he's done at UAB after the program was cancelled is nothing short of amazing, but it's the freakin University of Alabama at Birmingham.  I will **** a brick if we fired Gus just to hire the coach from UAB. 

At this point I'd rather just throw money at Freeze and prepare for NCAA sanctions within 4 years.  This is an absolute, demonstrable disaster. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

What he's done at UAB after the program was cancelled is nothing short of amazing, but it's the freakin University of Alabama at Birmingham.  I will **** a brick if we fired Gus just to hire the coach from UAB. 

At this point I'd rather just throw money at Freeze and prepare for NCAA sanctions within 4 years.  This is an absolute, demonstrable disaster. 

You're going to end up with Steele. That's who they wanted to begin with.

5 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Could do a whole lot worse than Bill Clark. I mean he's raised UAB from the dead twice. I know it's extremely underwhelming but in 5 years it wouldn't matter if he comes in and wins 40 plus games in those 5 years. Nobody would be laughing at Auburn then.

8 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Bill Clark is a solid coach but that last bit is the killer. You can't pay $21M and then fail to lure a big name guy. If I'm paying $21M I want Urban Meyer to walk through that door.

Auburn has the money is the thing. But the stench of all the meddling and not being able to have full of control your staff is not gonna attract anyone that’s that good