Coaching Rumors 2020

Unknøwn

On 12/18/2020 at 7:34 AM, Screaming Brave said:

It’s fun to jab at Tennessee lately, but it’s better for everyone when they are competitive. I mean, their annual games with Bama, Georgia, and Florida are great rivalries that have lost their luster. 
They’ve got to find someone that can make top recruits in surrounding states believe in Tennessee again. They’ve had their best success when they can pluck kids out of north Georgia and Alabama, Western SC and NC, Kentucky and even Ohio. And they used to be able to recruit California well. 

And when I say “pluck”, that’s a mild word to describe what went on in Georgia in the 90s. During the Goff and Donnan years, Majors and Fulmer would almost literally rape the north Georgia and Atlanta area and steal them away. 

I see exactly what you're saying and I agree with you. I can remember star players going back to the late 80's/early 90's from the areas you mentioned. If I'm not mistaken, former Vol/Atlanta Falcon Defensive End Chuck Smith played high school football in Athens, GA.

UT doesn't win the 1998 National Championship without the recruits from all over the South, Georgia in particular with stars like Jamal Lewis (even though he got hurt midway through the season), Deon Grant, Cosey Coleman, among others.

One thing Donnan did do right was to lure Rodney Garner from UT, than Mark Richt was very wise to keep him at UGA, as he was the lead recruiter in Georgia for UT under Fulmer.

I think that part of the problem is not just getting the great recruits here, but actually developing talent. Seems like that's been a big problem going on since Fulmer's downward spiral.

I don't know exactly who I want to try to make things right, but I don't think Pruitt is the right guy. He's in over his head. I don't want Hugh Freeze though because of his overall lack of decency. I do think that if he does get hired then has any amount of success at all here, he'll just leave for a higher paying job, or manipulate his way into raises by flirting with other programs.

24 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

The auburn players want steele as their head coach.  

Nearly all the current players and even past defensive stars have sent a petition to the Committee that Steele should be head of the family. They love him and want this madness to end.  

I don't care what they want. Steele would be a disaster.

2 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Shannon B. Terry

@sbterry247

Coaching searches are filled w/ craziness & nothing new in 2020. Sources tell us Billy Napier has turned down the Auburn job. Keep a close watch on Bill Clark -- his interview went really well. Clark is incredibly well respected by his peers. A good possibility he is next in line

15 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Shannon B. Terry

@sbterry247

Coaching searches are filled w/ craziness & nothing new in 2020. Sources tell us Billy Napier has turned down the Auburn job. Keep a close watch on Bill Clark -- his interview went really well. Clark is incredibly well respected by his peers. A good possibility he is next in line

Dang, turning down the job to stay at Louisiana???  Ouch.

16 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Dang, turning down the job to stay at Louisiana???  Ouch.

Auburn has a booster problem. The powers down there won't give up control of the football program to a head coach. It's the reason Kirby turned them down and most of the top tier coaches are going to turn it down until they relent. Auburn would be better served getting rid of those guys.

22 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Auburn has a booster problem. The powers down there won't give up control of the football program to a head coach. It's the reason Kirby turned them down and most of the top tier coaches are going to turn it down until they relent. Auburn would be better served getting rid of those guys.

Yep.. they could have Kirby and instead wouldn't give him full control.  It just shows that you have powerful boosters who have too much control over the program..  The fact that they interviewed guys while they still had a coach shows their meddling will continue to undermine whoever they hire.. Napier is a good enough coach that he will have some terrific options in the future.. Auburn's boosters will continue to make this a crap show. 

16 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Napier did turn down South Carolina as well so Auburn isn't the first if that makes anyone feel better. He also rejected Mississippi State last year.

Napier is not stupid.. south carolina and msu are very tough places to win.  If he leaves Louisiana which he loves it will need to be to a program like auburn, bama, or lsu..  he would be heading to auburn IMO if he was given full control which a head coach should expect IMO at a program like auburn.  you shouldn't have boosters meddling in how you do your job.  It's just pathetic they won't get out of their own way due to their huge egos at auburn. 

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

Looks like Bill Clark and Brent Venables are the next highest on the Auburn list. Steele seems to be a Jeremy Pruitt type candidate, if everyone says no, they'll go that way.

venables isn't leaving clemson.. he has told those who are in the know he is going to stay at clemson.. it sounds like bill clark may be the hire if they don't widen their scope more.