Coaching Rumors 2020

Unknøwn

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Birmingham radio reported that the auburn jet touched down in Monroe Co. Indiana. Looks like Tom Allen is in the mix. 

They are going to strike out on a few targets and good ole Kevin steele will be given the job.  As I said a few days ago he has the backing of some of the most influential boosters.  Right now there is a war between sets of boosters.. Greene is in the middle.  The BOT will determine the winner. 

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Cristobal probably wants to ride it out in Oregon and wait for Saban's job to come open in 4-5 years.  In the meantime, he can win the PAC-10 every other year and notch top classes w/ all the Nike Swag to recruits.

If Cristobal is smart he'd just stay at Oregon. If he can build that program up like we expect, he'll pretty much be able to pick who he wants to recruit on the entire west coast and a few states toward the middle. He'd be the king of a weak conference, just like Clemson. No struggling with recruiting and no fighting top conference opponents translates into a job you can keep as long as you want it. 

23 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

If Cristobal is smart he'd just stay at Oregon. If he can build that program up like we expect, he'll pretty much be able to pick who he wants to recruit on the entire west coast and a few states toward the middle. He'd be the king of a weak conference, just like Clemson. No struggling with recruiting and no fighting top conference opponents translates into a job you can keep as long as you want it. 

I dont think Cristobal would turn down Bama in this scenario. I do think Dabo will remain at Clemson because of this logic, he'll forever be a legendary coach at Clemson. No need to go to Bama.

17 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Mario wants to get back on the east coast. He will be looking at only two jobs though from what I was told. And that’s Bama and Clemson

he will be waiting a loooooooooong time for Clemson - Dabo is 51yrs old.   It's Bama or Bust.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Well the thinking is Dabo might get the Bama job and that opens up Clemson

I know Dabo played for Bama and from there - I just don't see the allure to going back when you can make the argument that his program is every bit on par w/ Bama now.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I know Dabo played for Bama and from there - I just don't see the allure to going back when you can make the argument that his program is every bit on par w/ Bama now.

Only Dabo knows. But Mario thinking is once Saban retires the Clemson job might come into play if Dabo chooses to go there. He will definitely be Bama’s first choice and they will open the bank for Dabo to come home

5 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

They are going to strike out on a few targets and good ole Kevin steele will be given the job.  As I said a few days ago he has the backing of some of the most influential boosters.  Right now there is a war between sets of boosters.. Greene is in the middle.  The BOT will determine the winner. 

Oh I definitely agree. When I heard first heard that Steele was a target I laughed out loud. Then I laughed some more and then I thought that totally sounds like an Auburn thing to do and I’ve been convinced it’ll happen ever since. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

I know I'm **** sure tired of the BS offense Gus ran. If we have to run a spread type attack it would be so much better to run a Dan Mullen type offense. But even then that doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Hey, didn’t know if you saw this. It might throw you over the edge 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Dan-Quinn-head-coaching-future-seeking-interviews-Auburn-Tigers-Arizona-Wildcats-Atlanta-Falcons-157071572/Amp/

13 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

At this point nothing would surprise me. Auburn will totally screw this up because it's what Auburn does.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

At this point nothing would surprise me. Auburn will totally screw this up because it's what Auburn does.

It sounds like lowder and steele and a few other big boosters had a plan.. undercut Gus (he helped with being aloof with the important boosters) and then quickly move with the steele hire.. that plan however fell through at least up to this point.  that's why he was willing to get other boosters to pony up the 21 million to buy out Gus..  You don't fire Gus and give that buyout if you don't already had a plan in place for a hire.. cristobal used the opening for a raise and additional years.. he will only leave Oregon for Alabama.  Now that the auburn guys blew a gasket once it got out regarding lowder and Steele the search is in shambles.. it's a soap opera internally with people taking sides and fighting among those auburn money men..  we both know Greene is a figure head as are most ADs when it comes to this.. he is stuck in the middle with no power.  Jimmy Rane is the big man now, along with RJ Harbert are very involved in this as well. 

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

It sounds like lowder and steele and a few other big boosters had a plan.. undercut Gus (he helped with being aloof with the important boosters) and then quickly move with the steele hire.. that plan however fell through at least up to this point.  that's why he was willing to get other boosters to pony up the 21 million to buy out Gus..  You don't fire Gus and give that buyout if you don't already had a plan in place for a hire.. cristobal used the opening for a raise and additional years.. he will only leave Oregon for Alabama.  Now that the auburn guys blew a gasket once it got out regarding lowder and Steele the search is in shambles.. it's a soap opera internally with people taking sides and fighting among those auburn money men..  we both know Greene is a figure head as are most ADs when it comes to this.. he is stuck in the middle with no power.  Jimmy Rane is the big man now, along with RJ Harbert are very involved in this as well. 

Oh yeah. I know all about it. It's been like that at Auburn for years. I still haven't forgotten how they tried to run Tuberville out of town in 2003 when they had the secret meeting with Petrino. Then when that news got out the **** hit the fan and they had to give Tubs a big raise and a public apology. Gus was basically hired before Chizik was fired too.

12 hours ago, g-dawg said:

And at Clemson you don’t have to play LSU, Auburn, A&M, and the East champ every year, with the occasional Georgia and Florida in the regular season. I am pretty much convinced that Clemson would have no more success playing an SEC schedule than a Georgia would. Top 10 but rarely top 5. Dabo would have his hiccups just like Kirby does. 

Edited by Screaming Brave

3 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

Hugh freeze going to Tennessee? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Can’t believe any major program would ever consider that slimeball again. Everything about him screams phony and creepy. 

That said, he’d be a perfect fit at Tennessee... 😜

19 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

Can’t believe any major program would ever consider that slimeball again. Everything about him screams phony and creepy. 

That said, he’d be a perfect fit at Tennessee... 😜

I don't want him for that exact reason you mentioned: he's a slimeball.

It's clear that Pruitt is in over his head, but I just don't want Hugh Freeze.

2 hours ago, eddiesauto said:

I don't want him for that exact reason you mentioned: he's a slimeball.

It's clear that Pruitt is in over his head, but I just don't want Hugh Freeze.

It’s fun to jab at Tennessee lately, but it’s better for everyone when they are competitive. I mean, their annual games with Bama, Georgia, and Florida are great rivalries that have lost their luster. 
They’ve got to find someone that can make top recruits in surrounding states believe in Tennessee again. They’ve had their best success when they can pluck kids out of north Georgia and Alabama, Western SC and NC, Kentucky and even Ohio. And they used to be able to recruit California well. 

And when I say “pluck”, that’s a mild word to describe what went on in Georgia in the 90s. During the Goff and Donnan years, Majors and Fulmer would almost literally rape the north Georgia and Atlanta area and steal them away. 

On 12/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Cochran is so freaking intelligent and knows how he needs to do in order to run a program and that was why he had to get on the field experience or no team would consider just a S&C coach to lead their program.. 

And that is what separates successful coaches from unsuccessful ones. The great ones know how to coach AND run all aspects of the football program. The not so great only know how to coach on the field, and taking on the additional duties of a head coach can even detract from their coaching ability. 

8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I’m sure it’s a big source of drawing power for a prospective Auburn coaching candidate to know that at some future time in his tenure he will be undermined and his replacement search will begin while he’s still coaching, if not a total hostile takeover. 

Sark interviewing for the Auburn job. Rumors flying around that Kiffin wants the job too.

Dont buy the Kiffin rumors. After he left Tennessee after a year, that wouldn’t be a good idea to do that again. Think he’s wise to wait a bit. Auburn isn’t going to be anywhere near as patient as Ole Miss will be. 

And Sark? I think he would be making a mistake as well. Think he’s got a real chance to be Saban’s replacement one day. Going to Auburn right now just doesn’t feel right.

Wonder if Auburn has given Chris Petersen a ring yet. Feel like he could bring some respectability to the program (they have it already, but it would add more). Would leave the program in better hands than when he found it. Not a long term solution, but a good bridge to another guy in a few years