Coaching Rumors 2020

Unknøwn

Probably a good thing for Herman. He'll have plenty of HC chances in the future. I hav no doubt Sark will have the offense rolling but hes not exactly a big time winner from his previous stops. Interesting choice by Texas.

If Sark really is the choice,  then Texas is about to become a problem. They have as many resources as any team in the country. Pair that with one of the best offensive coaches in the country in an era where offense dominates outcomes, along with being at Bama seeing the recruiting machine it takes, along with the facilities...

Yeah.

Edited by RandomFan

15 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

If Sark really is the choice,  then Texas is about to become a problem. They have as many resources as any team in the country. Pair that with one of the best offensive coaches in the country in an era where offense dominates outcomes, along with being at Bama seeing the recruiting machine it takes, along with the facilities...

Yeah.

Did USC not have resources and a fertile recruiting base?

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Probably a good thing for Herman. He'll have plenty of HC chances in the future. I hav no doubt Sark will have the offense rolling but hes not exactly a big time winner from his previous stops. Interesting choice by Texas.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah.

Wasn't Tom Herman also one of the best offensive coaches in the country? Offense hasn't been an issue for Texas. It's defense. They can't stop anyone and haven't since Mack Brown left.

38 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Wasn't Tom Herman also one of the best offensive coaches in the country? Offense hasn't been an issue for Texas. It's defense. They can't stop anyone and haven't since Mack Brown left.

Correct. They averaged almost 500 yards a game. The defense gave up 5.2 yards a play and 406 yards a game.

3 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Did USC not have resources and a fertile recruiting base?

And Sark wasn't fired for not being a good coach. He was an alcoholic at the time that obviously negatively impacted his performance. Also...

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

While their offense has been good, that still is a big gap compared to what Bama has put on the field since Sark has been there. And talking about offense only you guys are driving past one of the big things I said: him being exposed to the recruiting machine at Bama. It's one thing to be a good recruiter, or even hire a good staff; it's another thing to have the huge staff and execution that takes place at Bama, which is the same commitment that Kirby brought to UGA and we see how that has impacted our recruiting. 

Texas is a hotbed of talent and is the most wealthy team in the nation as far as revenue. They SHOULD be an annual top 10 team, if not top 5 with everything they have in their favor. Subpar coaching, which has led to subpar recruiting, has been the thing holding them back. 

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

And Sark wasn't fired for not being a good coach. He was an alcoholic at the time that obviously negatively impacted his performance. Also...

While their offense has been good, that still is a big gap compared to what Bama has put on the field since Sark has been there. And talking about offense only you guys are driving past one of the big things I said: him being exposed to the recruiting machine at Bama. It's one thing to be a good recruiter, or even hire a good staff; it's another thing to have the huge staff and execution that takes place at Bama, which is the same commitment that Kirby brought to UGA and we see how that has impacted our recruiting. 

Texas is a hotbed of talent and is the most wealthy team in the nation as far as revenue. They SHOULD be an annual top 10 team, if not top 5 with everything they have in their favor. Subpar coaching, which has led to subpar recruiting, has been the thing holding them back. 

My point was if Sark doesn't fix the defense then him being a great offensive mind won't matter. Herman didn't get fired because of offense. He got fired because of defense. The same reason Charlie Strong got fired. Texas hasn't fielded a good defense since Mack Brown left.

As for the recruiting thing, let's not act like Southern California isn't a recruiting machine. Sark had that there and they were still a very average football team. Sark has been an average HC at both Washington and USC. I don't discredit his offensive abilities, but I'm gonna wait to see how he does in his 3rd shot as a college football HC before I crown him.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

My point was if Sark doesn't fix the defense then him being a great offensive mind won't matter. Herman didn't get fired because of offense. He got fired because of defense. The same reason Charlie Strong got fired. Texas hasn't fielded a good defense since Mack Brown left.

As for the recruiting thing, let's not act like Southern California isn't a recruiting machine. Sark had that there and they were still a very average football team. Sark has been an average HC at both Washington and USC. I don't discredit his offensive abilities, but I'm gonna wait to see how he does in his 3rd shot as a college football HC before I crown him.

If you think what Sark had at USC even remotely compares to the recruiting machine Saban and Kirby have built at Bama and UGA then you need to have your head checked. 

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

If you think what Sark had at USC even remotely compares to the recruiting machine Saban and Kirby have built at Bama and UGA then you need to have your head checked. 

I guess what Pete Carroll built at USC which Sark inherited is just a figment of my imagination. Guess all those 1st round draft picks and national championship game appearances never happened?

15 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I guess what Pete Carroll built at USC which Sark inherited is just a figment of my imagination. Guess all those 1st round draft picks and national championship game appearances never happened?

Was that same recruiting success there after all the sanctions USC was hit with after Carroll ran away to escape the punishment? That's a rhetorical question. Also, that was an institution and coaching staff combo that put together those great recruiting classes, not because of a huge support staff that simply outspent and outworked smaller recruiting staffs. 

The huge recruiting support staff and apparatus that Saban revolutionized is something you seem to not be aware of. It's a financial commitment that not every school can afford, and not something that was happening at USC. 

The point remains if you pair what Sark learned about building a huge and expensive recruiting support staff like he learned from Saban, it IS going to equal more recruiting success than he had at USC, no matter how much you futilely don't want to understand it.  

Edited by RandomFan

6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Was that same recruiting success there after all the sanctions USC was hit with after Carroll ran away to escape the punishment? That's a rhetorical question. Also, that was an institution and coaching staff combo that put together those great recruiting classes, not because of a huge support staff that simply outspent and outworked smaller recruiting staffs. 

The huge recruiting support staff and apparatus that Saban revolutionized is something you seem to not be aware of. It's a financial commitment that not every school can afford, and not something that was happening at USC. 

The point remains if you pair what Sark learned about building a huge and expensive recruiting support staff like he learned from Saban, it IS going to equal more recruiting success than he had at USC, no matter how much you futilely don't want to understand it.  

Even if he has the same kind of recruiting that Saban has at Alabama right now it's not gonna matter if Texas doesn't have the coaching to win football games. Again, I'm not gonna crown Sark and Texas yet. If you want to then that's fine. I'm gonna wait and see before I crown them.

8 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Even if he has the same kind of recruiting that Saban has at Alabama right now it's not gonna matter if Texas doesn't have the coaching to win football games. Again, I'm not gonna crown Sark and Texas yet. If you want to then that's fine. I'm gonna wait and see before I crown them.

Yeah, because stating the simple fact that they are going to be a problem is the exact same thing as "crowning" them. Good grief dude, stop digging this hole deeper for yourself. 

5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah, because stating the simple fact that they are going to be a problem is the exact same thing as "crowning" them. Good grief dude, stop digging this hole deeper for yourself. 

How is you saying they're going to be a problem any different than me saying that you're crowning them? Really? On top of that you're gonna insult me twice now? Ok then.

Sark apparently sold Texas on his ability to build a staff. Hes apparently brining Kyle Flood with him from Bama. Hes also throwing that Texas money at Will Muschamp. His plan is to run the offense and give Muschamp the keys to the defense. If he can't lure Muschamp then Steele is his #2. 

Texas is desperate to get back in the mix at the top of college football. I have doubts on Sarkisian as a head coach, but he has certainly earned the opportunity to get this job. Everyone Saban gets on staff comes out with the same buzz about learning his system and what not. So far Kirby has been the only one to come close to replicating it. Most have been a bust. Sark has been around a lot of high level success though. Herman was supposed to be the can’t miss Urban Meyer prodigy. We’ll see how it goes.

25 minutes ago, Carter said:

Texas is desperate to get back in the mix at the top of college football. I have doubts on Sarkisian as a head coach, but he has certainly earned the opportunity to get this job. Everyone Saban gets on staff comes out with the same buzz about learning his system and what not. So far Kirby has been the only one to come close to replicating it. Most have been a bust. Sark has been around a lot of high level success though. Herman was supposed to be the can’t miss Urban Meyer prodigy. We’ll see how it goes.

If he gets the right defensive guy, I think he’ll do fine. Some guys take longer to grow. He was a prodigy back in the day and obviously didn’t handle the pressure well. Maybe structure is what he needed as a coordinator to recover and I hope the pressures at Texas doesn’t side track him personally and professionally, it could...for anyone. Texas as a program has high expectations. Herman didn’t do that bad record wise, but the narrative today is all or nothing. Ton of pressure. I wish him well. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Great assessment of the situation and where I stand as well. I'm in the wait and see boat.