Who would you pick for DC

8 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

If you could have Phillips, Pees, Marinelli, or Zimmer, who you got? Because I believe the next HC will be offensive minded but our biggest problem is on the defensive side. So I think one of these guys would be a good choice for DC.

I would have no idea. The problem with coaching is that you are going to correlate their wins and losses but say the coaches are the cause. It's not like any of these coaches have some intellectual combine or any other methodology we can use to determine who does a better job. That and the fact that whatever variables that helped them become successful, most of it is not coming with them to their new team.  They aren't taking their front office and players from their old team with them.

It's more of a crap shoot than drafting players.

40 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Rex doesn't want any DC jobs. He doesn't want to leave his job as an analyst unless it's for an NFL HC job.

Can you link the source where he said that he didn’t want to be a DC anymore? I’m having no luck in finding it. Last I heard he was linked to the KC DC position when it is was open. 

35 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Can you link the source where he said that he didn’t want to be a DC anymore? I’m having no luck in finding it. Last I heard he was linked to the KC DC position when it is was open. 

Here are some old twitter posts from official New York beat writer Manish Mehta.

Rex is only really interested in NFL HC jobs. Rex was only linked to Chiefs DC job. Nothing ever came of it just like Urban Meyer and the Cowboys HC job this past off-season.

zb0-KcfM_bigger.jpg

Rex has no interest. Nothing to gain RT Everybody can stop dreaming about Rex Ryan as ur team's d-coordinator. Not happening

zb0-KcfM_bigger.jpg

If Rex Ryan doesn't land another head coaching job, he is under the impression that a TV job has been lined up for him. #nyj

11 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Here are some old twitter posts from official New York beat writer Manish Mehta.

Rex is only really interested in NFL HC jobs. Rex was only linked to Chiefs DC job. Nothing ever came of it just like Urban Meyer and the Cowboys HC job this past off-season.

zb0-KcfM_bigger.jpg

Rex has no interest. Nothing to gain RT Everybody can stop dreaming about Rex Ryan as ur team's d-coordinator. Not happening

zb0-KcfM_bigger.jpg

If Rex Ryan doesn't land another head coaching job, he is under the impression that a TV job has been lined up for him. #nyj

With respect. Those are from 2014. In 2019 he was linked to the KC DC position. I’m more inclined to side with the more current news about it than six year old Twitter posts. 

26 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

With respect. Those are from 2014. In 2019 he was linked to the KC DC position. I’m more inclined to side with the more current news about it than six year old Twitter posts. 

Those tweets show that Rex isn't interested in anymore DC jobs.

Yes they are old, but they are still correct on how Rex has not been interested in DC jobs and settled for an analyst job.

Rex was linked to KC's DC job, doesn't mean that he was interested. Only that his name came up in discussions. I'm sure that Rex has had plenty of DC offers that he's turned down since going on to become an analyst.

Rex is out of the NFL right now because he's not being offered HC jobs. No different than when Pete Carroll wasn't getting any NFL HC offers after being fired from HC of the Patriots, so he ran to college because he wasn't interested in anymore DC jobs as well. Unlike Carroll though, Rex's personality is not college friendly and would be a PR nightmare for colleges so that isn't a real option for him.

4 hours ago, k-train said:

Folks I'd consider for DC assuming we were keeping the core group of players around (Grady, Debo, Foye, Fowler, Terrell):

George Edwards (former Vikings DC)
Edwards got his start in the college ranks, coaching at Duke, Georgia, and Florida. He has over 20 years of NFL coaching experience since then, most notably as the DC for the Vikings from 2014-2019.

Adam Zimmer (Vikes LB/co-DC)
Adam's likely not going anywhere unless his father gets fired. But should that happen, and assuming for whatever reason you couldn't get Mike Zimmer himself to be the DC here, getting his son Adam ain't a bad consolation prize. Adam spent a few years as an assistant for the Saints, Bengals, andChiefs before taking on the role of LB coach on his dad's staff back in 2014.

Andre Patterson (Vikes DL/co-DC)
He has a long history of coaching DL in both college & the NFL. Pete Carroll hired him back in '97 when he was w/ the Pats. He coached a few different NFL teams from then until 2007, when he took a year off to coach his son's high school team. He then coached at UNLV, UTEP, and FIU before returning to the NFL after being hired in 2014 by Mike Zimmer to coach the Vikings' DL.

Jay Rodgers (Bears DL, former DEN DL)
He's a very smart dude who is a former QB. He started his coaching career on the offensive side in the college ranks before coming to the NFL & switching over to defense. He helped Vonn Miller & co. do good things when he was with the Broncos, and has continued that with the Bears. He's had at least one Pro Bowler every season since he baden an NFL DL coach. He's the son of a coach, and his brother is also an NFL coach, so it seems to be in his genes. He learned at the NFL level under John Fox & Vic Fangio, and is likely ready to make the jump to DC.

Matt Patricia (Lions HC, former Pats DC)
If the Lions decide to let him go after this season, he could be a highly sought after, very intriguing DC candidate.

If take Matt Patricia...    not every successful coach can be a HC..  I like his style for defense.   

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Those tweets show that Rex isn't interested in anymore DC jobs.

Yes they are old, but they are still correct on how Rex has not been interested in DC jobs and settled for an analyst job.

Rex was linked to KC's DC job, doesn't mean that he was interested. Only that his name came up in discussions. I'm sure that Rex has had plenty of DC offers that he's turned down since going on to become an analyst.

Rex is out of the NFL right now because he's not being offered HC jobs. No different than when Pete Carroll wasn't getting any NFL HC offers after being fired from HC of the Patriots, so he ran to college because he wasn't interested in anymore DC jobs as well. Unlike Carroll though, Rex's personality is not college friendly and would be a PR nightmare for colleges so that isn't a real option for him.

Those tweets were also before his second failed attempt at being a HC After his first failed HC gig there were multiple teams reaching out to him as a HC ( Falcons included). So things aren’t a 1 for 1 like you seemed to be suggesting.

Much like the beat writer you quoted; the pundits don’t know. However I’m more willing to take current information from a more well known source than a beat reporter.

Rex may or may not take a DC position. No one knows for sure but him. 

36 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Those tweets were also before his second failed attempt at being a HC After his first failed HC gig there were multiple teams reaching out to him as a HC ( Falcons included). So things aren’t a 1 for 1 like you seemed to be suggesting.

Much like the beat writer you quoted; the pundits don’t know. However I’m more willing to take current information from a more well known source than a beat reporter.

Rex may or may not take a DC position. No one knows for sure but him. 

Rex isn't looking for DC jobs man. Ryan hasn't been in the NFL since 2016. Pretty sure that he's had plenty of interest from teams for a DC job.

He's since remained an NFL analyst for ESPN because he isn't interested, otherwise he would've taken that KC DC job or any other opportunities that have came his way since getting fired from the Bills.

Funny how Rex's name hasn't came up as a real option in NFL HC talks and he remains an analyst at ESPN. Even his son Seth Ryan is currently in the NFL as the Chargers quality control coach.

Nothing came out of the Chiefs DC link or rumor, but Rex personally expressed his interest about becoming the new Washington Football Team's HC before Ron Rivera was hired.

17 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Rex isn't look for DC jobs man. Ryan hasn't been in the NFL since 2016. Pretty sure that he's had plenty of interest from teams for a DC job.

He's since remained an NFL analyst for ESPN because he isn't interested, otherwise he would've taken that KC DC job or any other opportunities that have came his way since getting fired from the Bills.

Funny how Rex's name hasn't came up as a real option in NFL HC talks and he remains an analyst at ESPN. Even his son Seth Ryan is currently in the NFL as the Chargers quality control coach.

Nothing came out of the Chiefs DC link or rumor, but Rex personally expressed his interest about becoming the new Washington Football Team's HC before Ron Rivera was hired.

Wouldn't mind him coming here for Ryan and Julio's last hurrah as the HC. He would be a magician with the lbers that we have. Imagine all those creative lb, SS, and db blitzes. He'd have Hill and Brady shaking in their boots. 

1 minute ago, Osiruz said:

Wouldn't mind him coming here for Ryan and Julio's last hurrah as the HC. He would be a magician with the lbers that we have. Imagine all those creative lb, SS, and db blitzes. He'd have Hill and Brady shaking in their boots. 

Defensively, Rex is one of the best pound for pound(no pun intended) minds out there.

But I have to admit that him as HC scares me a bit.

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

Defensively, Rex is one of the best pound for pound(no pun intended) minds out there.

But I have to admit that him as HC scares me a bit.

To me he is the best after Billy B. I think he will be fine as long as he hires a decent OC. You know he really believes in running the football, especially power run. 

6 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

To me he is the best after Billy B. I think he will be fine as long as he hires a decent OC. You know he really believes in running the football, especially power run. 

He needs a strong OC and also leave the circus show stuff behind.

He is a great defensive mind, but he needs some good coaches and assistants to help him in other areas.