Released by UFC, Anderson Silva still wants to fight after 'attempt to force (his) retirement'

Despite no longer being a part of the UFC roster, Anderson Silva isn’t ready to hang up his gloves just yet.

Silva, the former UFC middleweight champion, was released from his contract last week, but it appears he still has intentions of competing.

Silva still had one fight left on his contract after he suffered a fourth-round TKO loss to Uriah Hall on Oct. 31 at UFC on ESPN+ 39, which marked his third straight loss and sixth in his past eight fights.

Over the weekend, Silva took to Instagram to address his release and fighting future.

“I’ll make it clear to all my fans that this is a moment of joy and gratitude. I feel free after an attempt to force my retirement,” Silva wrote. “I love and have always loved what I do. Winning and losing are a part of it. It has absolutely nothing to do with age. I made technical mistakes and lost, but I didn’t lose what’s most important, the will and the desire to continue doing what I love.”

Bellator president Scott Coker, who’s inked deals with numerous aging UFC veterans in the past, recently told MMA Junkie that he would not be interested in signing Silva if he was available. Coker reaffirmed his position after Bellator 253.

Silva, 45, is widely considered one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time. He captured the middleweight title in just his second UFC fight and went on to defend it 10 consecutive times, a record that stood until Demetrious Johnson reached 11 in 2017.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/11/anderson-silva-ufc-tried-to-force-retirement-still-fighting