Sources: Atlanta Falcons compile diverse list of GM candidates

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want the best person for each job. Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.   

Reggie McKenzie? How about no.

I will repeat......best person for the job - don't care the color nor should anyone.   If the best person for the job is a minority, that's a great thing but should never be the overriding factor.

2 hours ago, k-train said:

Those fact checkers did a pretty piss poor job considering they didn't even bother to look that the piece was posted to ESPN yesterday... meaning it was written even before that, probably a day or two ago at least... when the Falcons were in fact prepping for the Saints game.

Their performance yesterday said otherwise. 

12 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I just want the best person for each job.

Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.     Glad opportunities are opening up for minorities - it just needs to be the right person.

Totally 100%

3 hours ago, RHEC said:

Totally 100%

I agree too.  That being said, if the decision is close, I would prefer to see a minority get it to help knock down some barriers in the League.  When you see the inexperienced and unqualified idiot like the preacher who is currently running things in Houston, the real candidates who have jumped through all the hoops and done things the right way just have to be shaking their collective heads.  

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.     Glad opportunities are opening up for minorities - it just needs to be the right person.

A lot of minorities have been the right person for a lot of jobs here in the past, and we're overlooked for a Bart Simpson looking dude that was supposed turn us into the Patriots.

49 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

A lot of minorities have been the right person for a lot of jobs here in the past, and we're overlooked for a Bart Simpson looking dude that was supposed turn us into the Patriots.

I will repeat......best person for the job - don't care the color nor should anyone.   If the best person for the job is a minority, that's a great thing but should never be the overriding factor.

9 minutes ago, oztin said:

I think the article was only naming the minority candidates just to show the diversity but that wasn't the full list of people there looking at

Like I said I really hope so 

Would love to see us hire someone who can help move the issue and make us successful both 

I'm back and forth on Smith. On the plus side, he seems to know how to draft for a pass rush and most importantly he would keep Bill O'Brien out of the building I think.

At least some Houstonians are all for bringing him back. From what I've read, he seems to know how to right a ship and keep everything on an even keel. 

I wouldn't be jumping up and down if he's our next GM, but there are worse candidates and I could be swayed to be pro-Smith with a couple of good drafts.

His achilles heel seems to be bringing in the best free agents.

Time will tell or not. 

I don't care who it is as long as they can get us back into the winning consistently category.

P.S. I think we may be a higher priority than the Texans since they have no draft capital for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I'm back and forth on Smith. On the plus side, he seems to know how to draft for a pass rush and most importantly he would keep Bill O'Brien out of the building I think.

At least some Houstonians are all for bringing him back. From what I've read, he seems to know how to right a ship and keep everything on an even keel. 

I wouldn't be jumping up and down if he's our next GM, but there are worse candidates and I could be swayed to be pro-Smith with a couple of good drafts.

His achilles heel seems to be bringing in the best free agents.

Time will tell or not. 

I don't care who it is as long as they can get us back into the winning consistently category.

P.S. I think we may be a higher priority than the Texans since they have no draft capital for the foreseeable future.

I've lived in Houston now for several years and have followed their team.  I'm luke warm on Smith.  We were really never more than an average team.  I would say **** NO to O'Brien though!  That guy is a CANCER!  I would be shocked if he lands anywhere in the NFL again.   He should go try and bully some college kids.

23 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Finding a good GM is already enough of a challenge.  No need to make it harder by trying to fulfill some 'diversity quota'.   

I don't want us getting any retreads, either.   There is a reason a lot of these guys are available..... and its not becasue they did such a great job elsewhere (Rick Smith being the possible exception).

I want to see us get a younger, hungrier guy who wants to prove himself.   Not with Big Moves like the Julio trade, but by building an entire team, solid from top to bottom.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, g-dawg said:

I don't give dayum if the best candidate for a job is a transgender martian turnip, if that's the case, that's the hire. End of story.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Finding a good GM is already enough of a challenge.  No need to make it harder by trying to fulfill some 'diversity quota'.   

I don't want us getting any retreads, either.   There is a reason a lot of these guys are available..... and its not becasue they did such a great job elsewhere (Rick Smith being the possible exception).

I want to see us get a younger, hungrier guy who wants to prove himself.   Not with Big Moves like the Julio trade, but by building an entire team, solid from top to bottom.

I am with you in this.. we need a GM that can find talent... of the ones that are free I am pretty sure TD has a better chance to land a GM job before either of those.. maybe just Rick Smith would be first

I'm all for equal opportunity...but that's not what is going on here.

With only 32 NFL GM jobs on the entire planet, you get who you think is a winner...period.  

But not in this world, not anymore.

If the ownership wants the best guy for the job skin color should not even factor into it.  

Unless of course skin color is more important than success.

So is it?

16 minutes ago, octoslash said:

With only 32 NFL GM jobs on the entire planet, you get who you think is a winner...period.  

If the ownership wants the best guy for the job skin color should not even factor into it.  

So is it?

Definitely not.  The best person needs to get the job.  But I if its a dead heat between two candidates, I'd give it to the minority.  I think it would be good for the culture of the building... 70% of the players are black, it could create a more trusting culture.  I'm not saying go out of your way to do it, but I'd go that way if its close.

41 minutes ago, FloweryStump said:

Definitely not.  The best person needs to get the job.  But I if its a dead heat between two candidates, I'd give it to the minority.  I think it would be good for the culture of the building... 70% of the players are black, it could create a more trusting culture.  I'm not saying go out of your way to do it, but I'd go that way if its close.

If it's close - then you probably need to keep looking.   When you find "the one" you believe to be best,  it shouldn't be close.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

So is it?

I think it's something like 30+% of NFL coaches have played at the NFL level. All but two have played at a college level.

70% of all nfl players are black and something like 50% of all college players are black.

Two nfl general managers are black, and there are three black nfl head coaches.

So the overwhelming majority of head coaches and general managers come from some some connection to the game and it's a game that is compromised by primarily black people.

It's not like we're pulling and hiring from the general public here, it's an inclusive hiring pool, folks who have been around and played the game, and the majority of them are black..........except at the highest level.