Sources: Atlanta Falcons compile diverse list of GM candidates

Sources: Atlanta Falcons compile diverse list of GM candidates

Adam Schefter

ESPN Senior Writer

The NFL is putting a premium on promoting diverse candidates, which is exactly what the Atlanta Falcons are targeting in their next general manager, league sources told ESPN.

While the Falcons have been preparing for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, they also have been working to compile a diverse list of general manager candidates, according to sources.

The Falcons' list includes former Texans GM Rick Smith, Bears assistant director of personnel Champ Kelly, Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes and former Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie, among others, according to league sources.

While the Falcons clearly are moving in this direction to fill their GM opening, a team official also told ESPN that they are still early in the process and in the research stages of a "wide field of candidates before we look at the interview stage. We want to do it right versus do it fast."

But there are candidates that have piqued Atlanta's interest, including Smith, who drafted Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins and J.J. Watt in Houston before parting ways with the organization.

Kelly once was a prime candidate for the Jets' GM job, and the Rams have had strong drafts during which Holmes helped lead the way. Holmes lives in Atlanta and has the support of many within the Rams' organization.

McKenzie, currently a senior personnel executive with the Dolphins, served as the Raiders GM from 2012 to 2018 and helped build the roster that culminated in a 12-4 record in 2016, marking the team's only postseason appearance since 2002. His list of first-round picks while with the Raiders includes franchise quarterback Derek Carr, Pro Bowl pass rusher Khalil Mack and star receiver Amari Cooper.

The Falcons have been searching for a GM since firing Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn last month. Raheem Morris has served as the Falcons' interim head coach, and team president Rich McKay has run Atlanta's football operations without an acting GM.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30364232/sources-atlanta-falcons-compile-diverse-list-gm-candidates

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want the best person for each job. Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.   

Reggie McKenzie? How about no.

I will repeat......best person for the job - don't care the color nor should anyone.   If the best person for the job is a minority, that's a great thing but should never be the overriding factor.

I just want the best person for each job.

Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.     Glad opportunities are opening up for minorities - it just needs to be the right person.

21 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Reggie McKenzie? How about no.

Yeah, kinda hard to get excited about a GM when the only thing they can really highlight is that he nailed two completely obvious choices within the top 5 of the draft & got a serviceable QB in the 2nd round.

I mean seriously... how much credit should a GM of a team in dire need of WR help actually get simply for staying put at #4 overall & taking Amari Cooper... who was a Biletnikoff winner & the overwhelmingly consensus WR1 in that class?

Kinda the same deal with them giving credit for taking Khalil Mack at #5. Pretty much a no-brainer making that selection. So, not sure it deserves much praise.

15 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah, kinda hard to get excited about a GM when the only thing they can really highlight is that he nailed two completely obvious choices within the top 5 of the draft & got a serviceable QB in the 2nd round.

I mean seriously... how much credit should a GM of a team in dire need of WR help actually get simply for staying put at #4 overall & taking Amari Cooper... who was a Biletnikoff winner & the overwhelmingly consensus WR1 in that class?

Kinda the same deal with them giving credit for taking Khalil Mack at #5. Pretty much a no-brainer making that selection. So, not sure it deserves much praise.

Yeah. No

53 minutes ago, k-train said:

I was really struggling to understand the article trying to get me impressed by the selections of Carr, Mack, and Cooper

1 and 3 don't impress me, and Mack was selected so high and was such a no brainer choice that I really struggle to find that impressive

42 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Black, white, asian, hispanic, man or woman.    When lists like this come out and all are black - it fills more like the hiring is more agenda-driven.     Glad opportunities are opening up for minorities - it just needs to be the right person.

Yeah, I mean, I really didn't want to say anything when this list first came out, partially for fear of being accused of something, but

I really want to believe I'm wrong here, but I get nervous seeing this list for the same reasons I get nervous when the only minority candidate looks like they're just there to meet the Rooney rule. 

They all seem like fine candidates, except for McKenzie 

Sorry, had to stop myself. Really trying not to turn this thread into a discussion about equality. Back to football

58 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Please no to a woman. If she fails, our sofite owner would never even think about firing her due to the bad press he thinks he may receive. 

17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Independent fact checkers in your area have determined this information as false.

Those fact checkers did a pretty piss poor job considering they didn't even bother to look that the piece was posted to ESPN yesterday... meaning it was written even before that, probably a day or two ago at least... when the Falcons were in fact prepping for the Saints game.

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Bears are a good team who badly needs a QB.

Their team is pretty solid outside of the QB position.

Agreed.  Champ Kelly from the Bears would be my pick.  He was part of building those dominant Denver Broncos teams a few years back as well.  Very experienced with two different clubs despite being young.  Seems like a positive leader, sounds innovative, and a former SEC player to boot!  😁