Jump to content

Matt Ryan-Rich McKay Apologists UNITED!!!


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, niels petersen said:

Ryan is and always has been a rhythm passer. He needs to get into the groove to be really effective.

Problem is: Saints know this - Koetter doesn't.

Saints disrupted any timing and rythm Matt had built and then he gets antsy in the pocket. Koetter keeps calling plays that have a minimal chance of succes against an aggressive defense and with a QB and offense that is not in rhythm. Outside of the first drive which was clealy scripted, he never got into a rhythm.  That's not going to cut it against good teams. 

I noticed commentators making this same observation. Ryan succeeds on anticipation, which as you said comes down to timing. He might be too rigid in his thinking, or just limited physically to open a play up and be dynamic on the fly. He is a good QB, but not good enough for a SB win or to carry the team. Unfortunately as fans, people see things in black and white. So if someone criticizes him, they assume you must believe he sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A perfect match. Overpriced quarterback standing in front of the logo of a overpriced car brand. Expensive to maintain and everything has to be perfect for it to work...

Anyone who thinks the biggest problem today was players and talent and "execution" just doesn't understand football, outside of the bare basics

You’ve described about 97% of the posters on this board 

Posted Images

Ryan had a few bad throws.  That being said, this is a scheme problem.  DK's 4 verticals scheme doesn't work against defenses that can get pressure with their front 4.  The plays take too long to develop.  Ryan had to hold onto the ball way too long and people still weren't open.  Did anybody actually watch the game?  There were no underneath outlets and nobody open while the pocket was collapsing.  That's terrible scheme and playcalling.

No misdirection, no playaction, no quick slants, nothing that had their defense guessing.  It's like they were in the huddle with us.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Ryan had a few bad throws.  That being said, this is a scheme problem.  DK's 4 verticals scheme doesn't work against defenses that can get pressure with their front 4.  The plays take too long to develop.  Ryan had to hold onto the ball way too long and people still weren't open.  Did anybody actually watch the game?  There were no underneath outlets and nobody open while the pocket was collapsing.  That's terrible scheme and playcalling.

No misdirection, no playaction, no quick slants, nothing that had their defense guessing.  It's like they were in the huddle with us.  

The Falcons were in the redzone on numerous occasions in the first half, failed to execute and came away with field goals. This isn't the first year the falcons have struggled in the redzone and on 3rd down this precedes DK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least he is still standing. How good is Dak Prescott playing? Joe Burro (next week) Dalton missed a couple of weeks. Drew Brees? He has a team and a coaching organization around him.  They win with or without him. Yeah Matt stunk it up yesterday but he will bounce back and shut you up for another few weeks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, insight said:

The Falcons were in the redzone on numerous occasions in the first half, failed to execute and came away with field goals. This isn't the first year the falcons have struggled in the redzone and on 3rd down this precedes DK. 

We didn't have any of these problems with Shanahan.  Matt Ryan broke the NFL record, throwing TD passes to 13 different players in 1 season.  Led the league in scoring.  We had these problems with Sark and DK.

If somebody like Calvin Ridley is not getting separation, the defense knows the route he's running.  If your QB gets sacked 8 times in one game, the OC did not make any proper adjustments.  Instead of spreading out their defense, DK went max protect with only 2 guys running routes.  You don't slow down a pass rush by loading the box.  You slow down a passrush by making the DL guess, keeping them off balance, stretching them sideline to sideline.  Running game and fast developing passing plays, not max protect having only 2 receiving options both running verticals with no underneath outlets.

If you watched that game and said to yourself, "Wow, DK is calling a really great game.  Too bad Matt Ryan can't execute his scheme.  We need to extend DK and get him a better QB."  Then we obviously disagree with where this team needs to go.  We need an OC that can run a scheme that doesn't get the QB murdered, with or without Ryan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Hold on there.  I saw Schaub at Walmart a few days ago.  He was moving so fast across the parking lot I could not catch him.  OK, he was going downhill and the wheelchair did have a motor in it. Still, I could not catch him.  I was impressed.  I have never seen a wheel chair move that fast.

Lol 

 

But it’s not just Schaub. Like I was saying, we’ve a lot of $$$ tied up in KEY spots. And rightfully so, JULIO and RYAN are superstars and they deserve it!

 

However, it’s clear we need to get younger at those spots. Their best days are behind them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Doesn't help when your QB takes nearly 10 coverage sacks, and waits to throw until the 🏈 has mold on it. 

Its painfully apparent that the only times when Ryan releases the ball is when he believes he has an open man. I don't know what happened to his ability to anticipate and throw his man open, but its been long gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pzummo said:

We didn't have any of these problems with Shanahan.  Matt Ryan broke the NFL record, throwing TD passes to 13 different players in 1 season.  Led the league in scoring.  We had these problems with Sark and DK.

If somebody like Calvin Ridley is not getting separation, the defense knows the route he's running.  If your QB gets sacked 8 times in one game, the OC did not make any proper adjustments.  Instead of spreading out their defense, DK went max protect with only 2 guys running routes.  You don't slow down a pass rush by loading the box.  You slow down a passrush by making the DL guess, keeping them off balance, stretching them sideline to sideline.  Running game and fast developing passing plays, not max protect having only 2 receiving options both running verticals with no underneath outlets.

If you watched that game and said to yourself, "Wow, DK is calling a really great game.  Too bad Matt Ryan can't execute his scheme.  We need to extend DK and get him a better QB."  Then we obviously disagree with where this team needs to go.  We need an OC that can run a scheme that doesn't get the QB murdered, with or without Ryan.

Did you watch the 2nd half of the superbowl?  To say we didn't have problems under Shanahan is rewriting history. We had one epic season with Shanahan that ended in epic fail because we couldn't score in the second half.  One season is an anomaly,  the best in the league consistently improve from year to year. 2016  Falcons are similar to the 1998 Falcons, they both had their one shot and blew it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, insight said:

Did you watch the 2nd half of the superbowl?  To say we didn't have problems under Shanahan is rewriting history. We had one epic season with Shanahan that ended in epic fail because we couldn't score in the second half.  One season is an anomaly,  the best in the league consistently improve from year to year. 2016  Falcons are similar to the 1998 Falcons, they both had their one shot and blew it. 

Lmao, 16 regular season games and 2.5 postseason games are an anomaly.  But the 2nd half of the Super Bowl was who we really were.  Ryan was 17/23 in the Super Bowl with a QB Rating of 144.1, including an 85 yard TD drive to open the 2nd half.  It was miserable after that, but none of that was because of Ryan. 

Anybody thinking Ryan is the reason we don't have a SB trophy is the one rewriting history.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Lmao, 16 regular season games and 2.5 postseason games are an anomaly.  But the 2nd half of the Super Bowl was who we really were.  Ryan was 17/23 in the Super Bowl with a QB Rating of 144.1, including an 85 yard TD drive to open the 2nd half.  It was miserable after that, but none of that was because of Ryan. 

Anybody thinking Ryan is the reason we don't have a SB trophy is the one rewriting history.  

Ryan is NOT THE REASON but his poor performance along with many others in the 2nd half contributed to the loss. They choked and it wasn't an anomaly did you watch  2012 NFC championship game where the falcons did not score in the SECOND Half. Sound familiar.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Statick said:

Its painfully apparent that the only times when Ryan releases the ball is when he believes he has an open man. I don't know what happened to his ability to anticipate and throw his man open, but its been long gone.

BS. He threw a TD to Julio a few weeks back in which he released the ball before JJ had even made his cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, insight said:

Ryan is NOT THE REASON but his poor performance along with many others in the 2nd half contributed to the loss. They choked and it wasn't an anomaly did you watch  2012 NFC championship game where the falcons did not score in the SECOND Half. Sound familiar.  

6 incompletions all game, including the 2nd half.  Other people have to make plays too.  Let's not revise history here.  What are you blaming him for in the second half?  Are you're blaming him for the fumble, where Freeman completely whiffed his block and almost got Ryan murdered?  Or the holding penalty that put us out of FG range when we were in position to extend the lead even farther?  Or the 27 yard dime to Julio that put us in FG range again right before Shanahan called a pass play that ended up having Freeman miss a block resulting in the fumble and more lost points?  Or the defense not stopping a single drive or 2 point conversion without having any excuse for field position?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pzummo said:

Lmao, 16 regular season games and 2.5 postseason games are an anomaly.  But the 2nd half of the Super Bowl was who we really were.  Ryan was 17/23 in the Super Bowl with a QB Rating of 144.1, including an 85 yard TD drive to open the 2nd half.  It was miserable after that, but none of that was because of Ryan. 

Anybody thinking Ryan is the reason we don't have a SB trophy is the one rewriting history.  

Ryan's job at that point IMO was to do the same job off-the-field TOWARDS the coaching staff that he was doing ON-THE-FIELD towards fellow Falcons: LEADING THEM. You know who really failed Matt Ryan at that moment? ARTHUR BLANK. He should have known that Matty-Ice really DIDN'T have as much ICE WATER running thru his veins as we were being lead to believe. THROW THE STATS AWAY AND LOOK AT PURE KILLER INSTINCT... Does Matt Ryan have it? Did Matt Ryan EVER have it??? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Hurry_Up_And_Buy changed the title to Matt Ryan-Rich McKay Apologists UNITED!!!
On 11/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, Mr.Blank said:

Well it’s not ALL his fault that’s for **** sure

 

On 11/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME: 

1... 2... 3... IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!!! 🤥

Screenshot_20201122-162152.jpg

You’ve got it bad for these guys don’t you. Did they steal your girlfriend or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pzummo said:

Ryan had a few bad throws.  That being said, this is a scheme problem.  DK's 4 verticals scheme doesn't work against defenses that can get pressure with their front 4.  The plays take too long to develop.  Ryan had to hold onto the ball way too long and people still weren't open.  Did anybody actually watch the game?  There were no underneath outlets and nobody open while the pocket was collapsing.  That's terrible scheme and playcalling.

No misdirection, no playaction, no quick slants, nothing that had their defense guessing.  It's like they were in the huddle with us.  

^this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 2020.  Any NFL quarterback who loses a game with 51% passing and 0 carries should be benched for a quarter and let him fight for his job back.  Ryan is usually a great passer, no doubt.  But refusing to step in to a hole or at least side step to avoid a hit?  C'mon.  

The games we have won this year are games where Ryan made up the difference with his feet.  Doesn't have to be Mahomes.  Just has to be Ryan with a little more fight.  He (and really everyone) just phoned it in and it showed on the scoreboard.  Matt Ryan could have done better or he should have been man enough to tap out for a sub.  It's about the team and the W.  Maybe the Saints win anyway, they're better than we want to admit.  But we didn't give 2 craps on the field on Sunday.  Looked like the Packers game.  

Edited by Killing Floor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just play devil's advocate and say Ryan is hot garbage. Are we really just gonna overlook how poor the scheme was for us that game? Or how their D line was living in the backfield? Impossible to accurately assess any QB when things were that bad. We lost before the snap on so many occasions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...