My opinion is that the issue was three-fold.

1. Ryan holding onto the ball for entirely too long, which was exploited to great effect by Payton knowing well Ryan's tendency to get flustered if he gets pressured and hit too often.

2. The defense the Saints were playing in which no WRs could get open, which caused Ryan to hold onto the ball longer, check down or to make dangerous throws into coverage.

3. Our still-present glaring deficiencies on the o-line, in which our entire line was getting exposed. I saw this from both guard spots to the RT.

Having said that, QB isn't our only issue...we need better personnel and better coaching. I don't blame this entirely on Morris because he's doing the best with what he has with what Quinn and Dimitroff left him.  I totally place the blame on Quinn and Dimitroff at the ****show we witnessed yesterday (or the entire year, rather).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol you straight up contradicted your own argument in 3 sentences 

We need a new OC.

Matt Ryan looks like he always has against the saints, timid, holds on eternally to the football, and too scared to throw into tight windows. I get it that the routes ran by the wr are terrible, but y

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Pretty much, wins once out of 3 games. These guys are ecstatic because of it. Ryan is old and is good and reliable. But we should definitely replace. 

I don't know what wins and losses have to do with it. 2 years ago Matt threw for 5TDs no INTs and had a passer rating over 148 and they lost. 

Football teams are more than a QB. 

5 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Well you will get the heat. They will blame someone else for Ryan. I wonder how they will harmonize several rookies already out doing Matt Ryan. Will they claim the Chargers, and Bengals are better teams with better coaches as well? But hey, we can poke at them. :D

How are those Bengals doing today?...  🤔

7 hours ago, Screaming Brave said:

Take a good look at those so-called routes these guys are running. They have a juke or two then fail to run to a spot that’s open. They don’t finish routes. There is no precision or sharpness in these routes that seek to  deceive the defender in order to get open. And to be truthful, Ryan is not able to read and find the open window in time to make the connection. The defender is on the receiver before the ball gets there. The best passing games have a system where the QB throws the ball right at the time a receiver makes a cut and he throws to that spot before he gets there. That never happens in this offense. Ryan waits to find a guy open and then throws and then it’s too late. Dan Marino in his day could do that. None better at threading a needle. Ryan can’t.

And all the arguments about Matt not having time? C’mon, it’s the NFL. The days of a seven step drop and a pocket of protection forming neatly around the QB are ancient history. Good NFL defenses are too complex and sophisticated now that you have about 3 seconds under intense pressure to release the ball, unless you have a QB that has escapability to buy time. Drew Brees is the best I’ve ever seen at doing that. Matt doesn’t. So he’s got three seconds with an inconsistent OL. So create open spots for him Mr. Koetter. What’s happening is Ryan has three seconds available and his receivers are running 5 second routes. Do the math.

On that subject, it seems there is never a safety dump underneath available to Ryan to bail to when he can’t find an open guy. The RB just takes the fake on the PA and stops. 

What I’m saying in all this is that it is a total system failure. All the moving parts are not working. The design and execution are flawed. 

Even Daryl Johnston was pointing out yesterday how there didn't seem to be any plan with the routes. He pointed out several players where the receivers all ended up within 5 yards of each other and none of them were open and Ryan had no where to go with the ball. Freaking amazing that Ryan was supposed to throw and complete passes to guys that weren't open. Then people say he should have ran and gotten yards on the ground. WTH? How's he supposed to get outside the pocket and make plays when the pocket was closing in around him. How can a QB run outside the pocket when there's no hole to escape the pocket from. The Saints put on a clinic on how to close in the pocket around the QB so he can't escape pressure and those pressures turn into sacks. The main difference between the Saints pressure and the Falcons pressure yesterday was the Saints got pressure on both edges so that Ryan had no escape route. When the Falcons got pressure yesterday it was only on one side allowing Hill to escape the other side. The lack of actual football IQ and understanding on this message board never ceases to amaze me!!

6 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

While averaging close to 300 yards passing and 43 TDs/ 16 INTs..

Since 2008 the Saints have averaged 25.7 PPG against the Falcons. 13 times in 25 games the Saints have scored 26 or more points against the Falcons. 4 times the Falcons have scored 25 or more points against the Saints and LOST. That includes that 37-34 OT loss in 2018 where the defense didn't force a single punt. But yep, it's all Ryan's fault the Falcons don't beat the Saints more.

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Even Daryl Johnston was pointing out yesterday how there didn't seem to be any plan with the routes. He pointed out several players where the receivers all ended up within 5 yards of each other and none of them were open and Ryan had no where to go with the ball. Freaking amazing that Ryan was supposed to throw and complete passes to guys that weren't open. Then people say he should have ran and gotten yards on the ground. WTH? How's he supposed to get outside the pocket and make plays when the pocket was closing in around him. How can a QB run outside the pocket when there's no hole to escape the pocket from. The Saints put on a clinic on how to close in the pocket around the QB so he can't escape pressure and those pressures turn into sacks. The main difference between the Saints pressure and the Falcons pressure yesterday was the Saints got pressure on both edges so that Ryan had no escape route. When the Falcons got pressure yesterday it was only on one side allowing Hill to escape the other side. The lack of actual football IQ and understanding on this message board never ceases to amaze me!!

The main thing people need to realize is that in football, a player’s success or failure is determined by how everyone around him plays, including the coaching. It the ultimate team game. Totally unlike baseball. I remember Tom Brady accepting an MVP trophy and saying that individual awards in football are dumb and senseless. You are only as good as the players around you. 

13 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

The main thing people need to realize is that in football, a player’s success or failure is determined by how everyone around him plays, including the coaching. It the ultimate team game. Totally unlike baseball. I remember Tom Brady accepting an MVP trophy and saying that individual awards in football are dumb and senseless. You are only as good as the players around you. 

Exactly. No QB would have played well yesterday in that situation. An objective person would realize that. But these fools aren't objective. Matt Ryan has played great this year but he has a bad game and now we're back to "Matt Ryan is washed up blah, blah, blah."

Very obvious that the players can't wait for the season to end.  Tend to play fairly good the 1st. half then the 2nd half they play like ****.  Need a coach that will not put of with this crap.  Even

if they have to let every player go at the end of the season.  Glad I gave up my season tickets couple years ago.  Got where I couldn't even give them away.