Morris Impressing, New GM Candidate?-CBS Sports

21 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

That's the thing though, is it only better than what we had before or is it actually good? DQ should have had us with only one or two losses if he didn't absolutely blow every game. This isn't a terrible roster. Also we've beaten some pretty bad teams. Not taking anything away from those wins but I'm just not sure yet with Morris. I don't want to settle just because he's better than what we had before. That Lions game was pretty bad coaching, and I'm not just talking about the TG TD.

It’s not about settling for what’s better than Quinn. Morris deserves a full evaluation. He’s trying to win. And he’s winning so far. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know how I feel about Smith, but I still hate the fact that McKay is still making the decisions and trying to bring his old buddies in.

It looked exactly like DQ was still here today except I dont remember any clinically insane timeouts. The team was flat, the coaching was awful, the gameplan was invisible and the result was a go

Saw it was written by La Canfora and didn't waste my time. Just like anything with Ledbetter

Posted Images

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

It’s not about settling for what’s better than Quinn. Morris deserves a full evaluation. He’s trying to win. And he’s winning so far. 

I agree he does. I just worry McKay's nepotism will be the deciding factor if the team is middling down the stretch. If Morris keeps this team playing well it's a moot concern.

Eh.  Just Eh. Morris to this point deserves to be in the discussion of head coaches for this team.  (Still in the scrap it all mentality). 

Rick Smith? Eh...I don't want to keep swimming in mediocrity.  This team needs a refreshment in the worst way.  I'm not talking networking.  No comfort zone allowed. Close relationships are great until they're not.  I don't even like McKay picking the GM.  I can certainly be wrong but this is no circle jerk.  It's a team and product.  Eh.

Rick is a solid GM.  I can't imagine losing a wife and getting it back together and Washington almost hired him until Snyder decided to run Ops through Rivera. He's nailed his first rounders, no doubt.  Although he generally found talent, (late picks....decent to disaster), Houston wouldn't pay them leading to little to no depth.  He couldn't find a QB and he was generally roasted for that.  When asked if they want him back, Texan fans were mixed.  Most think he found good talent, others thought he was...MEDIOCRE.  

I think I'm rambling but I'll say, I'm lukewarm to Smith.  He's hand sanitizer.  Covers the surface good enough, but I want that Clorox. Bleach this organization.  (No reference to political affiliation in this post).

Edited by deester11
1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

That's the thing though, is it only better than what we had before or is it actually good? DQ should have had us with only one or two losses if he didn't absolutely blow every game. This isn't a terrible roster. Also we've beaten some pretty bad teams. Not taking anything away from those wins but I'm just not sure yet with Morris. I don't want to settle just because he's better than what we had before. That Lions game was pretty bad coaching, and I'm not just talking about the TG TD.

What keeps popping back up for me is Morris was here for all these losses also.. I am starting to like Morris, but is he really a change? Haven't we seen this from him before in TB? I kinda like that dude, but there are a lot of questions still to be answered in my opinion. 

Just now, THEHEADCOACH said:

What keeps popping back up for me is Morris was here for all these losses also.. I am starting to like Morris, but is he really a change? Haven't we seen this from him before in TB? I kinda like that dude, but there are a lot of questions still to be answered in my opinion. 

People grow and mature with experience. Did you not at your job?

Just now, youngbloodz said:

People grow and mature with experience. Did you not at your job?

I think everyone realizes that. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't even be thinking he is a possibility. But that same thinking keeps bad coaches around and keeps regifting them jobs. Like I said, I like him, but there is a lot of questions that I would have for him. A lot of questions.

27 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I think everyone realizes that. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't even be thinking he is a possibility. But that same thinking keeps bad coaches around and keeps regifting them jobs. Like I said, I like him, but there is a lot of questions that I would have for him. A lot of questions.

These next 7 games will answer questions for Morris

If any of this true, it highlights EVERYTHING that’s wrong with the Falcons. Hiring Rich McKay’s committee buddy? Really? Why is Rich McKay even involved with this? Because of his stellar track record? Raheem Morris impressing? Against the weakest part of the schedule?

There are so many things wrong with this, so many things that point to more of the same deep commitment to being mediocre and the Falcons echo chamber of self-congratulatory bad information that it’s really hard to be confident that anything will change as long as AB owns the team. 

31 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Rick Smith is a solid choice for GM. He has a pretty good draft history. He’s selected really good trench players. Not sure why people hate on him so much. 

He hit big time on some 1st rounders (Watt, Watson, Hopkins, Brown), but looking at the rest of the players nothing stands out, not many starting caliber players to be honest. I don't think he's better than TD was. 

Don't think it's hate, it's Dimitroff all over again. Some good, mostly bad.  Judge for yourself when you look.  When he "hit," it was phenomenal, but I see a lot of WTH in these classes.  If this entices you.....Sure:

Class of 2007 
1 (10). Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
* 3 (73). Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane College
4 (123). Fred Bennett, DB, South Carolina
5 (144). Brandon Harrison, DB, Stanford
5 (163). Brandon Frye, T, Virginia Tech
6 (183). Kasey Studdard, G, Texas
7 (218). Zach Diles, LB, Kansas St.

Class of 2008 
* 1 (26). Duane Brown, T, Virginia Tech
3 (79). Antwaun Molden, DB, East. Kentucky
3 (89). Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
4 (118). Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech
5 (151). Frank Okam, DT, Texas
6 (173). Dominique Barber, DB, Minnesota
7 (223). Alex Brink, QB, Washington St.

Class of 2015 
1 (16). Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
2 (43). Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi St.
3 (70). Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona St.
5 (175). Keith Mumphrey, WR, Michigan St.
6 (211). Reshard Cliett, OLB, South Florida
6 (216). Christian Covington, DT, Rice
7 (235). Kenny Hilliard, RB, LSU

Class of 2010 
* 1 (20). Kareem Jackson, DB, Alabama
2 (58). Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
3 (81). Earl Mitchell, DT, Arizona
4 (102). Darryl Sharpton, LB, Miami (FL)
* 4 (118). Garrett Graham, TE, Wisconsin
5 (144). Sherrick McManis, DB, Northwestern
6 (187). Shelley Smith, G, Colorado St.
6 (197). Trindon Holliday, WR, LSU
7 (227). Dorin Dickerson, WR, Pittsburgh

Class of 2016 
1 (21). Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
2 (50). Nick Martin, G/C, Notre Dame 
3 (85). Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State 
4 (119). Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State 
5 (159). K.J. Dillon, S, West Virginia
5 (166). D.J. Reader, NT, Clemson 

Class of 2014
1 (1). Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2 (33). Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA
* 3 (65). C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
3 (83). Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
4 (135). Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
6 (177). Jeffrey Pagan, DE, Alabama
6 (181). Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
* 6 (211). Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
* 7 (216). Andre Hal, DB, Vanderbilt
7 (256). Lonnie Ballentine, DB, Memphis

Class of 2012 
* 1 (26). Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
3 (68). DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio St.
3 (76). Brandon Brooks, G, Miami (OH)
4 (99). Ben Jones, C,  Georgia
4 (121). Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan St.
4 (126). Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
5 (161). Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M
6 (195). Nick Mondek, OL, Purdue

Class of 2013 
* 1 (27). DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
2 (57). D.J. Swearinger, DB,  South Carolina
3 (89). Brennan Williams, OL, North Carolina
3 (95). Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
4 (124). Trevardo Williams, DE,  Connecticut
6 (176). David Quessenberry, OL, San Jose St.
6 (195). Alan Bonner, WR, Jacksonville St.
6 (198). Chris Jones, DT, Bowling Green
* 6 (201). Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut

Class of 2009 
* 1 (15). Brian Cushing, LB, USC
2 (46). Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati
3 (77). Antoine Caldwell, G, Alabama
4 (112). Glover Quin, DB, New Mexico
4 (122). Anthony Hill, TE, North Carolina St.
5 (152). James Casey, TE, Rice
6 (188). Brice McCain, DB, Utah
7 (223). Troy Nolan, DB, Arizona St.

Class of 2011 
* 1 (11). J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
2 (42). Brooks Reed, LB, Arizona
2 (60). Brandon Harris, DB, Miami (FL)
4 (127).  Roc Carmichael, DB, Virginia Tech
5 (144).  Shiloh Keo, DB, Idaho
5 (152). T.J. Yates, QB, North Carolina
* 7 (214). Derek Newton, T, Arkansas St.
7 (254). Cheat Ozougwu, DE, Rice

Class of 2017 
1 (12). Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson 
2 (57). Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt 
3 (89). D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas 
4 (130). Julie'n Davenport, T, Bucknell 
4 (142). Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson 
5 (169). Treston Decoud, S, Oregon State 
7 (243). Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor

11 minutes ago, spanish_falcon said:

He hit big time on some 1st rounders (Watt, Watson, Hopkins, Brown), but looking at the rest of the players nothing stands out, not many starting caliber players to be honest. I don't think he's better than TD was. 

Demeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, Brandon Brooks, Benardrick McKinney, and Nick Martin. All starting quality. Brandon Brooks is a great player. Not sure how he doesn’t stand out. 

15 minutes ago, Redjack said:

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I hate this Morris narrative being pushed right now. We’re gonna **** this up aren’t we?

Agree. The last thing we need is continuity. We need a fresh start and AB would be lazy if he sticks again with a regime only because of a good finish. Especially with good candidates out there.

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Demeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, Brandon Brooks, Benardrick McKinney, and Nick Martin. All starting quality. Brandon Brooks is a great player. Not sure how he doesn’t stand out. 

Watch the list above. He was good drafting top 15 talent but not better than TD overall. And only 4 playoffs appearance in 11 years as a GM. That is not a successful GM to me.

4 minutes ago, spanish_falcon said:

Watch the list above. He was good drafting top 15 talent but not better than TD overall. And only 4 playoffs appearance in 11 years as a GM. That is not a successful GM to me.

I’ve seen the list above. He’s had solid picks throughout the draft. He’s definitely not perfect but to say that he didn’t have any success in the later rounds is just wrong.

You didn’t answer my question. How does Brandon Brooks not ‘stand out’ in terms of later round picks?

Not sure what to tell you, he doesn’t coach the team.He’s absolutely nailed picks in the first round. He’s definitely better than TD in that regard.

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I’ve seen the list above. He’s had solid picks throughout the draft. He’s definitely not perfect but to say that he didn’t have any success in the later rounds is just wrong.

You didn’t answer my question. How does Brandon Brooks not ‘stand out’ in terms of later round picks?

Not sure what to tell you, he doesn’t coach the team.He’s absolutely nailed picks in the first round. He’s definitely better than TD in that regard.

At a minimum shouldn't we expect first rounders to be 'hits.'  I'll give him credit for that.  He's found a few gems too.  But again, he's no worse or better than TD.  That's good for some I guess.  He's also had more than one disastrous draft.  Additionally, there have only been 8 draft picks that have been signed to another contract with the team.  That's horrendous but that could be a symptom of ownership.  It makes it all the more important to hit on more than 2 draft picks per draft. 

2007, Jacoby Jones (3rd round)
2010, Garrett Graham (4th round)
2011, Derek Newton (7th round)
2013, Ryan Griffin (6th round)
2014, C.J. Fiedorowicz (3rd round)
2014, Jay Prosch (6th round)
2014, Andre Hal (7th round)

That list is not exactly a case study in sound decision making. Among the non-first round draftees that the Texans let walk in free agency, Barwin, Quin, and Brooks have all been named to at least one Pro Bowl. The above listed group of non-first round draftees have been named to.... well, no need to pile on. - Houston Press.

Edited by deester11