Morris Impressing, New GM Candidate?-CBS Sports

Falcons considering Rick Smith for general manager, Raheem Morris making a push to retain head coaching status

By Jason La Canfora 

1h ago

2 min read

The Atlanta Falcons are continuing internal discussions about potential general manager replacements, while interim head coach Raheem Morris continues to impress ownership and the front office with his performance replacing Dan Quinn.

Morris, who has deep ties to team president Rich McKay and is also well regarded by McKay confidant Tony Dungy, has the Falcons playing good football since Quinn was let go following another slow start. The Falcons are focused on the GM opening and sources said they will begin to interview some candidates next month. Several strong candidates are currently not employed by NFL teams, and thus could be contacted at any point for the vacancy. Former Texans GM Rick Smith is among the candidates the Falcons would like to speak with, sources said, while Smith is likely to have numerous options with some NFL executives anticipating upwards of eight openings.

Smith and McKay have ties going back to their time on the NFL's Competition Committee, Smith is very highly regarded by the league office in New York and is someone whom Troy Vincent, the league's head of football operations and someone at the forefront of the NFL's push for more diversity, strongly supports. There is a sense in the Atlanta organization that the team is not as far from competing as some have suggested and they are not embracing the idea of a wholesale rebuild to the roster, believing a core on offense puts the team in a position to win in 2021.

Furthermore, Morris, 44, is earning high accolades within the organization for his work as a leader and for what he is doing on game day, and his resume with experience as a head coach previously and on both sides of the ball has positioned him as a very viable candidate for the job, sources said. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who works with McKay on the Competition Committee, has long been a champion of Morris, believing he deserved another chance as a head coach. Morris was one of the youngest head coaches in NFL history when he took over the Buccaneers in 2009, lasting three seasons.

Morris already has deep roots communicating with and coaching players on the Falcons offense and defense, having been with Atlanta since 2015, and he had already taken over defensive play calling for Quinn this season as the defensive coordinator. Since Quinn was let go in mid-October following an 0-5 start, the Falcons are 3-1 with their only loss being a bizarre 23-22 defeat to the Lions when running back Todd Gurley fell into the end zone rather than taking a knee as instructed at the one, which would have effectively won them the game.

Atlanta's performance has improved on offense and defense, and this is the rare instance in the NFL when the interim head coach stands a reasonable chance of retaining the job. Should the Falcons fare well in their remaining NFC South games (they face the Saints once more and have two of their final three games against the Buccaneers) the strength of Morris' candidacy will only increase. He already has plenty of supporters within the organization. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/falcons-considering-rick-smith-for-general-manager-raheem-morris-making-a-push-to-retain-head-coaching-status/

via http://cbssportsapp.com

37 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Feels like Morris is just looking better having followed the terribleness of DQ this year, but maybe he'll surprise me. I hope we don't go with him just because he's McKay's buddy.

Eh, he’s 3-1 and really should be 4-0 if not for one his players making a mental error. He definitely has them playing better football. 

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Eh, he’s 3-1 and really should be 4-0 if not for one his players making a mental error. He definitely has them playing better football. 

That's the thing though, is it only better than what we had before or is it actually good? DQ should have had us with only one or two losses if he didn't absolutely blow every game. This isn't a terrible roster. Also we've beaten some pretty bad teams. Not taking anything away from those wins but I'm just not sure yet with Morris. I don't want to settle just because he's better than what we had before. That Lions game was pretty bad coaching, and I'm not just talking about the TG TD.

this move going for smith is somewhat normal for blank. He likes to get those connections with the NFL front office, like mckay has.  since this guy is a nougher old friend of mckay, just like so many other high level guys that are on the payroll, it looks like the future is same-o-same-o.

18 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Im impressed with ive seen with the teem under morris but the year isnt over. I want to see more.

Yup

If we finish the season 4-12 or 5-11 then while he should get an interview..we should move on.

If we finish 8-8 or better then I would be ok with giving him the job.

Still 7 weeks left so alot of football to be played.

35 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

That's the thing though, is it only better than what we had before or is it actually good?

So, 3-1 means that you beat 3 teams and lost to 1.  It is not a measure of what you had before.  It is a measure of how you did against the competition. 

Also we've beaten some pretty bad teams.

We beat 3 of 4 teams we played under Morris.  We do not get to pick who we play.  How many teams beat us under Quinn do you believe are going to the SB?

Not taking anything away from those wins but I'm just not sure yet with Morris. I don't want to settle just because he's better than what we had before. That Lions game was pretty bad coaching, and I'm not just talking about the TG TD.

Yes, you are taking something away from those wins.  To paraphrase, you question if we are any better under Morris than we were under Quinn.  You attempt to discredit the 3-1 record under Morris by opinionating that we have won against bad teams.  How good were the teams that beat us under Quinn?  You used the word settle.  Now, that is very telling.  You have already decided that while we can certainly hire the guy from outside who will get that Lombardi, keeping Morris is settling.  Then, you point to the only game we have lost under Morris and said the coaching was pretty bad in that game. 

Yet, you have the audacity to state you are not taking anything away from those wins.  I cannot remember reading greater bias. 

1 minute ago, NaGaBoy said:

So, 3-1 means that you beat 3 teams and lost to 1.  It is not a measure of what you had before.  It is a measure of how you did against the competition. 

We beat 3 of 4 teams we played under Morris.  We do not get to pick who we play.  How many teams beat us under Quinn do you believe are going to the SB?

Yes, you are taking something away from those wins.  To paraphrase, you question if we are any better under Morris than we were under Quinn.  You attempt to discredit the 3-1 record under Morris by opinionating that we have won against bad teams.  How good were the teams that beat us under Quinn?  You used the word settle.  Now, that is very telling.  You have already decided that while we can certainly hire the guy from outside who will get that Lombardi, keeping Morris is settling.  Then, you point to the only game we have lost under Morris and said the coaching was pretty bad in that game. 

Yet, you have the audacity to state you are not taking anything away from those wins.  I cannot remember reading greater bias. 

None of this is what I think or what I said. In fact most of it is the opposite of what I said.

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

None of this is what I think or what I said. In fact most of it is the opposite of what I said.

The things in the blue boxes are quotations of what you wrote in this thread.  Read your post again.  If I copied something incorrectly, please point that out.  I will correct it. 

46 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

That's the thing though, is it only better than what we had before or is it actually good? DQ should have had us with only one or two losses if he didn't absolutely blow every game. This isn't a terrible roster. Also we've beaten some pretty bad teams. Not taking anything away from those wins but I'm just not sure yet with Morris. I don't want to settle just because he's better than what we had before. That Lions game was pretty bad coaching, and I'm not just talking about the TG TD.

The team needed a new voice. I don’t think they ever trusted Quinn again after the Super Bowl. These next 7 games will tell us everything we need to know about Morris and his chances of righting the ship

Just now, NaGaBoy said:

The things in the blue boxes are quotations of what you wrote in this thread.  Read your post again.  If I copied something incorrectly, please point that out.  I will correct it. 

You quoted fine, it was your interpretations that were wrong. For instance, I specifically said Morris is definitely better than Quinn; of course he is, DQ was awful, especially this year. So the majority of your post trying to prove how Morris has been better than DQ is beside the point. Secondly I never said anywhere that Morris would be settling, I said I don't want to settle. If Morris proves to not be a settling sort of move then I have no problems with it, I'm just not fully sold yet. Never did I say anything about an outside hire being any sort of guarantee at a SB or any sort of success. 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

The team needed a new voice. I don’t think they ever trusted Quinn again after the Super Bowl. These next 7 games will tell us everything we need to know about Morris and his chances of righting the ship

Yup. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, win or lose. This game today especially will say a lot about Morris, going against a banged up Ain'ts team with a starting QB in question.