Just gonna leave this here...

14 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Oh how I yearn for the good old days of Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Chris Redmon, Doug Johnson, Kurt Kittner...oh those glorious memories. I cannot wait to go through another period of stellar QB play like that after that scrub Ryan gets shown the door/ deep, deep purple. 

Don't forget Jeff George!

We just need to keep a winning identity for the team and we will be ok with Matt Ryan.  All aspects of the game has to be solid.  We also have had three terrible head coaches that no one wanted after they were done with the Falcons.  

AKA Jim Mora who went on to be an broadcast guy or what ever he is doing.  Mike Smith became a failed Bucs Defensive Coordinator and now a broadcaster.  Dan Quinn, who will most likely be in the college ranks. 

Edited by itsryanwonder
13 minutes ago, itsryanwonder said:

We just need to keep a winning identity for the team and we will be ok with Matt Ryan.  All aspects of the game has to be solid.  We also have had three terrible head coaches that no one wanted after they were done with the Falcons.  

AKA Jim Mora who went on to be an broadcast guy or what ever he is doing.  Mike Smith became a failed Bucs Defensive Coordinator and now a broadcaster.  Dan Quinn, who will most likely be in the college ranks. 

I get what you’re getting at, but Mora went on to be HC of the Seahawks & UCLA after he was fired by the Falcons. So not really sure how well that example fits your narrative of nobody wanting anything to do w/ him  after the Falcons cut him loose.

Also, why no mention of Dan Reeves? Out of all the HCs under Blank, he’s the only one that didn’t get another coaching gig afterward. So going off of your logic, doesn’t that make him the biggest loser of the bunch?  

17 minutes ago, k-train said:

I get what you’re getting at, but Mora went on to be HC of the Seahawks & UCLA after he was fired by the Falcons. So not really sure how well that example fits your narrative of nobody wanting anything to do w/ him  after the Falcons cut him loose.

Also, why no mention of Dan Reeves? Out of all the HCs under Blank, he’s the only one that didn’t get another coaching gig afterward. So going off of your logic, doesn’t that make him the biggest loser of the bunch?  

Well again, what did Mora do with the Seahawks?  What did he do with UCLA besides hype up Takk Mckinley?  Falcons have had a real issue with front office leadership.  TD will be no where next year.  Quinn will be in college.  If anything, the Falcons had the best assistant coaches and position coaches ever.  A lot of them have gone off to have success as Head coaches. 

18 minutes ago, itsryanwonder said:

Well again, what did Mora do with the Seahawks?  What did he do with UCLA besides hype up Takk Mckinley?  Falcons have had a real issue with front office leadership.  TD will be no where next year.  Quinn will be in college.  If anything, the Falcons had the best assistant coaches and position coaches ever.  A lot of them have gone off to have success as Head coaches. 

TD has a lot of respect around the league. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get hired somewhere. 

On 11/21/2020 at 8:05 AM, Vandy said:

I remember over last few offseasons several talking heads and knucklehead TAFTers claiming Carson Wentz was a superior QB.....🙃

Ryan’s been a Top 5 QB in league for last 5 years now...better than Rodgers, better than Brees , better than little ben. 

But unless/until he gets a ring, he won’t be recognized as such until after he’s gone.

We've seen Josh Freeman, Andrew Luck, Wentz, Robert Griffith, Derek Carr, Jake Locker, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Cousins and many others I'm probably forgetting all called superior QBs at one point or another. Yet every single one of them would gladly take Matt Ryan's career as their own. 

On 11/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, Vandy said:

I remember over last few offseasons several talking heads and knucklehead TAFTers claiming Carson Wentz was a superior QB.....🙃

Ryan’s been a Top 5 QB in league for last 5 years now...better than Rodgers, better than Brees , better than little ben. 

But unless/until he gets a ring, he won’t be recognized as such until after he’s gone.

Actually, since 2012 season, Matt has been a top 3 QB in both CPOE and EPA. That’s a long time hitting marks PER PLAY as a top 3 QB. People get caught up in surface reading of volume stats or TD/INT ratio.

That’s not a measure of actual QB dependence or per play performance; and it can either overly credit or discredit a QB based on system/playcalling and circumstances.

EPA, at least, shows more favorably on the QB’s role longterm per play vs his peers and it weighs their impact in performance rather than the stat counting measures alone and comparing of QBs that way. Regardless, Matt checks those boxes, too.

If we merely make one more defensive stop vs the Pats We win the SB. If we run the ball and eat time, we win the SB. If the EmbraceTheSuck HC does his job, Kyle can’t call another pass play after the Julio and Matt connection.

But as we know, if Bryant somehow misses the FG it’s more detracting against Ryan. :tiphat:

People just don’t know how to evaluate QB play separate from team performance and W/L. A team “can win” with any QB...if it’s capable. And a team “can win” with any QB able to carry harder but that isn’t a recipe for SBs. The Falcons winning SB51; which they obviously should have, was going to be against the norm. That’s, unfortunately, what people think is reasonable to expect from Ryan every year: have a top 10 historical offense...And have as efficient a year as that himself as well.

Basically do it all...even though no other QB does. Amazing.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:10 AM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Shame on Arthur Blank for saying that Matt Ryan was fair game for a new GM.

Everyone is fair game. Always. This is a prove it or lose it league. The owner HAS to stay out of football decisions.

I'm no fan of Dimitroff, and I'm glad he's gone, but how much against our salary cap do you think it cost us when the owner comes out and says "Ryan/Julio will be Falcons for life" in the middle of a contract negotiation. Those two comments probably cost us $5mil a year against the cap. He completely cut Dimi off at the knees.

Ryan is a fantastic passer.  When that hole opens up and nobody is open and the Falcons need 2 yards for a first down sometimes Ryan needs to man up and step into that hole.  G'head, yell at me.  0 rush yards in a loss means the QB didn't step up for his teammates.  When he plays at his potential he's a great passer.  When he is willing to step forward when the team needs him to run, that's the 3 games we've won this year.  Honestly it's looking more and more like we'll get that really great top 2 or 3 draft pick.  Don't tell me you'd honestly want a Lawrence or a Fields to sit on our bench for another season like this or the previous 2.  I think Ryan could win some more games.  But 2021 is a rebuild year even if we don't call it one.

And for the record, yes, I would rather see Ryan hustle downfield and fight to win even if it means higher risk.  The singular point of the scoreboard is to determine who wins.