If it was up to Matt Ryan do you think that he would rather keep Dirk Koetter next season or bring in a new OC?

Falcons Fan MVP

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

It is often an error to let the employees choose their boss.

Agree but in this case we’re talking about a 13 yr HOF veteran that processes info and reads defenses about as any in the game. I’d say let hm have some input but the newHC GM may plan on replacing MR in a ur or two

On 11/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, Atl Falcon said:

Keep DK ...not even close. I’m not a big DK fan but let this young OL jell and give him a top tier RB and watch him score tons of points. The guy’s not as bad as this place portrays him to be. 

If fired he’ll be offered an OC job within days. Be careful what you wish for. 

QB HC and OC gets all the blame from rec league - high school - college - NFL from the arm chair QBs in the stands and message boards when things go bad. That’s all most fans know to do...byitch about why this or that play didn’t work. That’s all they know to do even when there’s a lot of under lying issues. But as fans we reserve the right to share our opinions even if they’re uneducated from a coaching stand point. 

Fans will fan

I'm not a huge fan of Koetter but it's definitely true he is insanely underrated on this board. He isn't a trash level OC, not even close. It's like people don't watch other teams play. 

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm not friends with Matty Ice but if he reads this WFW leaves an open invitation to come fishing at my lake house on my boat. If that happens I will ask him and I'm sure he'll be honest with a 50 + year fan...I will pass along the answer to all. 

He probably wouldn't admit it until after he retires. :)

On 11/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Honestly if we keep Raheem Morris I think I want Mike McDaniels to be brought back as OC. 

He's worked under that Shannahan tree for a long time.  He worked for Mike Shannahan in Denver and Washington, Gary Kubiak in Houston, and has been with Kyle at every stop. Currently the run game coordinator in San Fran.

The team already know that offense and the terminology, only now they would have a coach that actually knows the system. The whole making Sarkisian and Koetter learn the system and watching them flail about has been painful to watch. 

Only thing is probably after a year McDaniel will get a HC gig that’s personally why I think we should interview him for HC if we don’t keep Raheem 

14 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I'm not a huge fan of Koetter but it's definitely true he is insanely underrated on this board. He isn't a trash level OC, not even close. It's like people don't watch other teams play. 

Most offenses do not have the talent we have. We should not be the 13th ranked scoring offense nor should we struggle the second we enter the redzone. 

Miami has barely any offensive talent and even they score more than us.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Most offenses do not have the talent we have. We should not be the 13th ranked scoring offense nor should we struggle the second we enter the redzone. 

Miami scores a whopping 0.9 points than the Falcons. Also Miami is ranked 4th in takeaways which is a big reason they are scoring. We are ranked 20th. So let's not act like that's a big difference. We can literally leap-frog them  (along with l ike 3 other teams) with a good showing on Sunday. 

Outside of the Carolina game, where let's be honest here, the team wasn't even trying out there (thanks Quinn!) and the Green Bay game where both Calvin and Julio were banged up the offense has averaged over 30ppg while being top 5 in yards. So yes, Koetter isn't Shanahan or Andy Reid, he is certainly better than your average OC. We are far outplaying the Rams, the Vikings, the Lions, the Chargers, the Browns, The Texans who all have plenty of offensive talent. Everyone is all over Gary Kubiak and Sean McVay's nuts yet we have outplayed their offenses handily this year. Everyone is salivating over the BIlls offense yet our offensive numbers are basically a carbon copy of theirs .

But I'll digress, I'm not trying to make the argument Koetter is elite, but just that he is certainly not "awful" like is the narrative around here. How we finish the season will ultimately prove one of us wrong or right as we now face a brutal offensive schedule and we seem to be healthy on that side of the ball. 

11 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Yep. Tons of settling for FGs. It’s the same trend from last year’s second half. Can you win with the offense? Sure...as long as it’s not a shootout and the defense is reliable.

It’s below average in efficiency with upper 1/3; at worst, talent.

Run game is still nowhere near what it was from 16 and 17. It’s arguably a little better than 2018-2019 just from red zone run TD improvement; but we haven’t improved between the 20s on the ground despite OL investment. It’s a scheme issue and that also seems to be part of the problem with our RZ woes.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:09 AM, Atl Falcon said:

My bad -  I couldn’t care less. But imo it’s not all DK and if he had a top tier RB maybe the run game would be there. Also I was thinking our WRs dropped some easy passes during that 11 secs.

I’m not letting MR off the hook up for that stupid int against the Panthers. He’s got to make better decisions. 

Shanahan is on his 5th string running back with a pieced together o-line.  They still have a good run game. Why?  Because of the scheme and play calling.

Any team with good players will be able to move the ball down the field regardless of play design and play calling.  The place where it matters most is in the red zone, and thats where we struggle.  Shanahan also knew that it can be easier to score before the redzone so once we got to the 35-25 yd line he'd start taking shots.

8 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

Shanahan is on his 5th string running back with a pieced together o-line.  They still have a good run game. Why?  Because of the scheme and play calling.

Yep you’re right but the falcons have not had a decent RB since DFreeman hit his prime in 15-16 and our OL is better but sucked for the past several yrs. We pissed away three losses or we’re 6-3.Plus Shanny’s defense have been much better than our especially early on this yr. But it is what it is and DKs putting up more pts than KS. No one wants to hear excuses in the NFL. Fans expect teams to overcome it regardless of injuries.....which isn’t always fair. 

6 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep you’re right but the falcons have not had a decent RB since DFreeman hit his prime in 15-16 and our OL is better but sucked for the past several yrs. We pissed away three losses or we’re 6-3.Plus Shanny’s defense have been much better than our especially early on this yr. But it is what it is and DKs putting up more pts than KS. No one wants to hear excuses in the NFL. Fans expect teams to overcome it regardless of injuries.....which isn’t always fair. 

Here's the thing.   Freeman was never that great.   It was Shanahan.