Falcon Thanksgiving: What are you grateful for with this Franchise?

Look, being a Falcons fan is never easy. We've had our fair share of ups, but mainly are known for a lot of downs. Yet regardless of outcome, I find myself remaining loyal and catching every snap of every game. I look forward to Sunday's with not a ton of expectation these last few years, but still knowing these boys from ATL give me a source of entertainment I look forward to. 

I'm extremely thankful for Matt Ryan and Julio Jones both giving us an offensive excitement we hadn't had since Vick or our insane 1998 run. And it's been consistent fun to watch win or lose. These both are two Future HOF'ers in my book! So many franchises lack this talent and are never exposed to the greatness we have been able to witness for some time. 

So out of curiosity, what if anything about the Atlanta Falcons Franchise, are you grateful for? 

I wish we had sustained success. I wish we had a reputation for being a perennial powerhouse. But we're not that, so I have a long list of other things that I'm thankful for because the low times have made the high times that much better. So here's a list of things (in no particular order and certainly not limited to) that I'm thankful for:

• Watching William Andrews go from being uheralded draft pick and part of a projected two man tandem with Lynn Cain to being my favorite Falcons player ever. Watching him churn was a singular pleasure for a long-time fan.
  • Watching Bart keep us in games when we had very little surrounding him. Loved seeing him and the two Alfreds hooking up back when football was not designed as a vertical game.
  • Deion. That's the whole item. Deion.
  • The Red Gun and the Gritz Blitz. Great names but better units.
  • The 1998 defense and Mort's walk off field goal.
  • Trading up to get Michael Vick who had almost single-handedly beaten Florida State and would be the most exciting Falcons player since Deion.
  • Matt Ryan to Michael Jenkins.
  • Julio. That's it. Just Julio.
  • Gerald Riggs, Warrick Dunn, Michael Turner, the early part of Free's career and Jam.
  • Three quarters of LI. I can't even watch the game now but I could almost touch the brass ring and that still counts for something, regardless of how it ended.
  • Getting the biggest monkey in league history off of our backs when we finally got back-to-back winning seasons in the first two seasons of Matt Ryan's career.

I'm a worthless homer but this list is bigger. I'm only still a fan because they have given me just enough of a taste of happiness to make the even bigger list of unthankful things worth it. I am unapologetic about my fandom.

7 minutes ago, Ians0280 said:

Im grateful for all the memories ive had with my great grandpa rip.my grandpa rip and my father while all being togeather on Sundays to watch falcons football.good years and bad years.im greatful for being togeather for what time we had and this franchise played a big part of that.

Love it man! 

7 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I wish we had sustained success. I wish we had a reputation for being a perennial powerhouse. But we're not that, so I have a long list of other things that I'm thankful for because the low times have made the high times that much better. So here's a list of things (in no particular order and certainly not limited to) that I'm thankful for:

• Watching William Andrews go from being uheralded draft pick and part of a projected two man tandem with Lynn Cain to being my favorite Falcons player ever. Watching him churn was a singular pleasure for a long-time fan.
  • Watching Bart keep us in games when we had very little surrounding him. Loved seeing him and the two Alfreds hooking up back when football was not designed as a vertical game.
  • Deion. That's the whole item. Deion.
  • The Red Gun and the Gritz Blitz. Great names but better units.
  • The 1998 defense and Mort's walk off field goal.
  • Trading up to get Michael Vick who had almost single-handedly beaten Florida State and would be the most exciting Falcons player since Deion.
  • Matt Ryan to Michael Jenkins.
  • Julio. That's it. Just Julio.
  • Gerald Riggs, Warrick Dunn, Michael Turner, the early part of Free's career and Jam.
  • Three quarters of LI. I can't even watch the game now but I could almost touch the brass ring and that still counts for something, regardless of how it ended.
  • Getting the biggest monkey in league history off of our backs when we finally got back-to-back winning seasons in the first two seasons of Matt Ryan's career.

I'm a worthless homer but this list is bigger. I'm only still a fan because they have given me just enough of a taste of happiness to make the even bigger list of unthankful things worth it. I am unapologetic about my fandom.

Great post! You mentioned a lot of amazing things and memories. 

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

High praise for Ridley

:ninja:🤯:ninja:

Who said anything about Ridley?

I meant Zaccheaus.

:ninja:🤯:ninja:

Edited by irrevelantfalconsfan
24 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I’m glad AB finally fired TD and years and years of proving he couldn’t find a true edge rusher or build a defense

Well, actually...

As soon as DQ was fired, that pass rush improved a million percent. Our defence went from horrid to average, and with our offence, that's all we need.

17 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

Well, actually...

As soon as DQ was fired, that pass rush improved a million percent. Our defence went from horrid to average, and with our offence, that's all we need.

Lot of that had to do with 3/4 of the defense coming back from injuries early in the year. Half the names on defense in some of those gms were unknown. 

But since you brought it up ....where or when did TD EVER find a pass rusherin three decades.  I’ll hang up and listen 

The first ever Falcons draft pick, Tommy "The Team Dresses In His Locker" Nobis.  He was a man among boys when he played and a shame he's not in the HOF.  I also agree with @JayOzOne's post as well.  Other underrated players such as "Super-gnat", who was so small but had major speed running back kickoffs and punt returns.  Then the greatest 'revenge' game ever, beating the living crap out of the Packers to get to the SB.  That Julio 'beast-slant' play in that game still gives me goose-bumps.  Also, over the years, each and every time we beat the Saints! 

I'm thankful for what Arthur Blank and the Falcons have done for the community! I mean they have done some top notch things like....feeding the homeless, donating homes, clothes, donating to cancer, diabetes, military veterans, scholarships....I could go on and on. And now AB is involved in building a huge childrens hospital!

Yes, I'm proud of so many things with my team!