Dan Mullen for Falcons HC?

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

What is the deal with this message board's obsession of coaching coaches? You can count on both hands the number of college coaches who turned into proven NFL winners. Most bust and run back to college.

Yep, college coaches rarely pan out in the NFL.

I think Jimmy Johnson was the last college HC to come over and win a SB(really Barry Switzer was, but he did it with Jimmy's Cowboys team before falling off very shortly afterwards).

I don't count Pete Carroll as a college coach because he was already a 2x NFL HC before fleeing to the college ranks.

28 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think Jimmy Johnson was the last college HC to come over and win a SB(really Barry Switzer was, but he did it with Jimmy's Cowboys team before falling off very shortly afterwards).

I don't count Pete Carroll as a college coach because he was already a 2x NFL HC before fleeing to the college ranks.

And for as great as Jimmy Johnson was with the Cowboys he couldn't  win big with the Dolphins. He was only 36-28 (only reached 10 wins once in 4 years) in the regular season and 2-3 in the playoffs with the Dolphins. His last game was also Dan Marino's last game and they lost in the playoffs to the Jaguars 62-7.

BTW, I just learned something about him I didn't know. He was HC at Oklahoma State before moving on to the Hurriances. I had no idea.

22 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

And for as great as Jimmy Johnson was with the Cowboys he couldn't  win big with the Dolphins. He was only 36-28 (only reached 10 wins once in 4 years) in the regular season and 2-3 in the playoffs with the Dolphins. His last game was also Dan Marino's last game and they lost in the playoffs to the Jaguars 62-7.

BTW, I just learned something about him I didn't know. He was HC at Oklahoma State before moving on to the Hurriances. I had no idea.

One of the biggest reasons why things didn't go well for Jimmy Johnson in Miami was that he and Dan Marino didn't really like each other and didn't get along well.

25 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There are gonna be some sad puppies on this board when we go with Raheem or hire another defensive coach.

I'd be ok with Raheem provided we hire a good WC offensive mind. Perhaps McDaniel, or Lefleur Jr? The guy I really want is Harbaugh, he is a QB whisperer and has a commanding run game. He is also a good motivator of men. 

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

One of the biggest reasons why things didn't go well for Jimmy Johnson in Miami was that he and Dan Marino didn't really like each other and didn't get along well.

Yeah, that's a good point. The difference between Elway and Marino was how they embraced new coaches and changes to their style of playing at the end of their careers. When Mike Shanahan was hired with the Broncos and wanted to take the ball out of Elway's hand and win with a run game and defense Elway embraced it. When Johnson wanted to do the same thing with the Broncos Marino didn't really embrace it. Marino still wanted to be the "the man." But you would have figured that after all those years of him trying to just outscore teams to win games he would have embraced a new way of doing things.

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

So you count college to NFL success as winning a super bowl, but you count Pete as a NFL coach even though he didn't win a SB before going to college? Hmmm.....

Edited by dawgsjw
2 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

So you count college to NFL success as winning a super bowl, but you count Pete as a NFL coach even though he didn't win a SB before going to college? Hmmm.....

Isn't winning a SB the only goal in the NFL? In college your success can be judged by winning National Championships or prestigious bowl games.

Pete Carroll only had one losing season as an NFL HC before heading to the college ranks. That was in his 1 year with the Jets in 94'. He was 8-8 in his last season with the Pats.

Robert Kraft fired him in order to trade for Bill Belichick. Which led Carroll to USC because he wasn't interested in anymore DC jobs in the NFL.

Carroll learned some things from college no doubt, but he had already proved to be a decent NFL HC and had almost 20 years worth of experience as a coach in the NFL before going to USC.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer had 0 NFL experience once they made the jump from college to the NFL.