Thinking outside the box with GM...

I’m just throwing this out as a hypothetical. I’m not saying we should do this, or that this could even happen.

How would you feel about interviewing (not necessarily hiring) Theo Epstein for the GM position. 

I know he doesn’t have any football experience, or pedigree, but he does have MLB GM experience. And helped two “cursed” franchises win the World Series.

I’m not sure what the everyday logistical difference would be between a football GM and baseball GM (besides the obvious). However, I can imagine that some skills and duties would translate on some level  

Recently we’ve seen media pundits/former players accept GM positions (with no previous executive experience) and have some success. So it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that there could be success. 

I am a big Cubs fan as well, but this wouldn't be a good idea from a tactical perspective.  If you mean "interview", as to get some insight as to what methods he used from a strategic perspective to be successful at the MLB level, sure.  But the MLB and NFL GM duties are so far apart from each other, as it relates to contracts, free agency, drafting and building a franchise, especially talent evaluation.  Apples and Oranges......

4 hours ago, blutarski said:

I am a big Cubs fan as well, but this wouldn't be a good idea from a tactical perspective.  If you mean "interview", as to get some insight as to what methods he used from a strategic perspective to be successful at the MLB level, sure.  But the MLB and NFL GM duties are so far apart from each other, as it relates to contracts, free agency, drafting and building a franchise, especially talent evaluation.  Apples and Oranges......

Yep, and doesn't the MLB not have a salary cap to worry about?

The NFL has the hardest salary cap out of the big 3 major sports leagues.

14 hours ago, blutarski said:

I realize that they have different duties, however there are some crossover abilities between the positions. I know it’s not a 1 for 1, but I disagree that it’s “apples and oranges”.

I’m not advocating for us to hire him; just interviewing him to get insight on what a successful GM sounds like in an interview process. What his viewpoints are and how he would build a team. 

I realize that he more than likely wouldn’t get hired even with an interview, but the information that Blank could get from hearing from someone like him may open him up to other candidates that have similar qualities. Could be a learning experience for him. 

What would a baseball GM know about how to build an NFL team? Sure anyone can look at some combine numbers and say a guy is athletic but unless they have experience breaking down film and knowing what to look for in a FOOTBALL player I don't know how that would work for us. Not to mention the differences in all other aspects of team building (salary cap, free agency, trades, contracts, drafting, etc)

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I realize that they have different duties, however there are some crossover abilities between the positions. I know it’s not a 1 for 1, but I disagree that it’s “apples and oranges”.

I’m not advocating for us to hire him; just interviewing him to get insight on what a successful GM sounds like in an interview process. What his viewpoints are and how he would build a team. 

I realize that he more than likely wouldn’t get hired even with an interview, but the information that Blank could get from hearing from someone like him may open him up to other candidates that have similar qualities. Could be a learning experience for him. 

why not interview me. I know fb players wear uniforms. I know the fb ain't round. I also know they play in stadiums and some even wear socks that declare cops are pigs. I'm sure my knowledge will translate as well. Can't be no worse than what we've had, right?

9 minutes ago, Day1 said:

why not interview me. I know fb players wear uniforms. I know the fb ain't round. I also know they play in stadiums and some even wear socks that declare cops are pigs. I'm sure my knowledge will translate as well. Can't be no worse than what we've had, right?

What other professional sports team have you been a general manager for? 

35 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

What other professional sports team have you been a general manager for? 

well I haven't.  But if we're going outside the box, why not me. I have managed 100s of people in my business. I'm sure it relates same as a baseball manager.

I don't think that's the worst idea.

You can always hire high level scouts to know the ins and outs of what a player can and can't do.

The GM could be the strategist that knows how to put all those pieces together to make the best unit.  GM is as much about knowing value and being someone who could succeed as a hedge fund manager as it is about knowing the ins and outs of scouting.

You need both, but if I had to choose 1, I'd rather have someone with a great head on their shoulders for how you build things, and have them learn the scouting, than have a good scout who doesn't have the mental chops for building.

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

I don't think that's the worst idea.

You can always hire high level scouts to know the ins and outs of what a player can and can't do.

The GM could be the strategist that knows how to put all those pieces together to make the best unit.  GM is as much about knowing value and being someone who could succeed as a hedge fund manager as it is about knowing the ins and outs of scouting.

You need both, but if I had to choose 1, I'd rather have someone with a great head on their shoulders for how you build things, and have them learn the scouting, than have a good scout who doesn't have the mental chops for building.

It’s funny you mentioned the “strategist” portion. During my research I came across a former MLB GM that made his way into the NFL. His name is Paul DePodesta and he works for the Cleveland Browns. His title is Chief Strategy Officer. He’s also the character that Jonah Hill was portraying in the movie ‘Moneyball’.

Not so long ago there were a ton of posters clamoring for a coach with “moneyball” techniques/philosophies. Jim Swartz was the name that was thrown around a lot. Thank God TAFT GMs didn’t have their way.

I don’t expect us to hire, or even interview him. It was more of a thought experiment on trying to find fresh ideas and talking points in a place riddled with stagnation.

38 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

It’s funny you mentioned the “strategist” portion. During my research I came across a former MLB GM that made his way into the NFL. His name is Paul DePodesta and he works for the Cleveland Browns. His title is Chief Strategy Officer. He’s also the character that Jonah Hill was portraying in the movie ‘Moneyball’.

Not so long ago there were a ton of posters clamoring for a coach with “moneyball” techniques/philosophies. Jim Swartz was the name that was thrown around a lot. Thank God TAFT GMs didn’t have their way.

I don’t expect us to hire, or even interview him. It was more of a thought experiment on trying to find fresh ideas and talking points in a place riddled with stagnation.

Yeah, the reality is, things are more alike than different.  Someone who is a great hedge fund manager or incubator can likely be taught to be a great GM.  It's a way of thinking that can be applied to various disciplines.  You can't make someone think that way that doesn't.  But you can fairly easily incorporate knowledge about a specific area or industry and apply that thinking to it.
I've been surprised more of that hasn't gone on...and it is going in that direction.  GMs have to be smarter than they used to, and we're seeing that OC's have to be smarter.  It's all becoming much more of a chess match instead of line 'em up and knock 'em down.

2 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, the reality is, things are more alike than different.  Someone who is a great hedge fund manager or incubator can likely be taught to be a great GM.  It's a way of thinking that can be applied to various disciplines.  You can't make someone think that way that doesn't.  But you can fairly easily incorporate knowledge about a specific area or industry and apply that thinking to it.
I've been surprised more of that hasn't gone on...and it is going in that direction.  GMs have to be smarter than they used to, and we're seeing that OC's have to be smarter.  It's all becoming much more of a chess match instead of line 'em up and knock 'em down.

Exactly. I think what makes a great GM is the ability to find people to do their specific job at a high level. This should be the GM’s primary strength.