The Vikings are 4-5, Bears are 5-5, and...

Baker Mayfield told Nick Chubb not to score in the huddle to close out the game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/15/baker-mayfield-told-nick-chubb-not-to-score-in-the-huddle/amp/#aoh=16056228532563&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

It's not an uncommon strategy to run the ball and stop just short of the goal line to run the clock out. Anyway, it's water under the bridge at this point.

A lot has changed in the past 4 weeks. Turns out the Vikings aren't trash. They've won 4 straight since getting hammered by the Falcons, including a blowout win over the Packers in Green Bay. 

The Bears are coming back down to earth, which has seeding implications for the Falcons if they continue to win out.

The Packers aren't that good, and the Seahawks just lost their second straight game. The Saints are without Drew Brees for at least a month. The Bucs still don't look that impressive.

Falcons take care of their business, and they have a shot to make the playoffs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baker Mayfield told Nick Chubb not to score in the huddle to close out the game. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/15/baker-mayfield-told-nick-chubb-not-to-score-in-the-huddle/amp/#ao

Just imagine if we we didn’t choke 3 games 

I don't understand this.  I want a competitive team.  I want wins.  I want a Lombardi.  I am not clamoring to keep RM or get him out.  I want a winner.  Why do you hope RM only sees limited succe

14 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Baker Mayfield told Nick Chubb not to score in the huddle to close out the game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/15/baker-mayfield-told-nick-chubb-not-to-score-in-the-huddle/amp/#aoh=16056228532563&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

It's not an uncommon strategy to run the ball and stop just short of the goal line to run the clock out. Anyway, it's water under the bridge at this point.

A lot has changed in the past 4 weeks. Turns out the Vikings aren't trash. They've won 4 straight since getting hammered by the Falcons, including a blowout win over the Packers in Green Bay. 

The Bears are coming back down to earth, which has seeding implications for the Falcons if they continue to win out.

The Packers aren't that good, and the Seahawks just lost their second straight game. The Saints are without Drew Brees for at least a month. The Bucs still don't look that impressive.

Not for nothing, I kind of hope they make somewhat of a push but not enough to keep RM around. I think if this team can rip off a couple of wins against better teams (something they have not done yet, Minn was not playing at this level when we played them plus no Cook) it may be more enticing for a HC. A vet team that can compete is way better for a HC than a vet team that is full of no ones. I still think this team has a decent core and with the right coach/schemes can be a contender for another season or two which gives us time to start finding Ryans replacement next year or the following year (ala GB)

9 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

I was looking at all of that yesterday after the bears lost.

There are alot of things that we can do better but if we play as well as we have the last 4 games then we can finish 9-7 

And depending on what happens with teams like the Seahawks and bears....that might be enough to get in.

They both need to fall flat on their face 

1 minute ago, 4dabirds said:

At this point, the Falcons need an unbelievable amount of good luck to just finish at 8-8, and that's not going to get them into the playoffs. The Falcons are more likely to lose their next three games than they are to win them. Our defense is still bad, and the offense can't do it all.

For the first time there are 7 seeds in the playoffs with a special possibility of it being 8 seeds just for this season.

The Falcons will have a fairly good chance if they take care of business. Outside of the Steelers and maybe the Chiefs, every team looks very beatable this season 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Not for nothing, I kind of hope they make somewhat of a push but not enough to keep RM around. I think if this team can rip off a couple of wins against better teams (something they have not done yet, Minn was not playing at this level when we played them plus no Cook) it may be more enticing for a HC. A vet team that can compete is way better for a HC than a vet team that is full of no ones. I still think this team has a decent core and with the right coach/schemes can be a contender for another season or two which gives us time to start finding Ryans replacement next year or the following year (ala GB)

Soooo, you're saying that you hope RM can have them playing like contenders, but not be awarded the job?

I thought football was supposed to be the "ultimate meritocracy."

Saying that out loud is wild!

"I want RM to do a fantastic job, a BETTER JOB than the guy he replaced, but then I want someone else to take the job." Sheeeeeesh

1 minute ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Soooo, you're saying that you hope RM can have them playing like contenders, but not be awarded the job?

I thought football was supposed to be the "ultimate meritocracy."

Saying that out loud is wild!

"I want RM to do a fantastic job, a BETTER JOB than the guy he replaced, but then I want someone else to take the job." Sheeeeeesh

I dont think RM is the long term answer....is that easier for you?

This is something that has bothered me about the Falcons game "strategy" explanation since the week of the Detroit game and I have yet to see anyone else call them out.

Look at the spot of the ball, look at the down and distance. They claim Gurley was supposed to get the first down and then get down. How the **** do you get a first down when it's 1st and goal and under 10 yards to the goal line ? You can't and the argument is completely moronic. Everyone on the team should have a better awareness of down and distance if they think there was any way to "get a first and get down."

The smart move is to take a knee twice run the clock to 3 seconds, use your last time out, kick a field goal and go home.

Admittedly the defense has to be far better than they are, but we know what the defense is capable of which is why you NEVER put the game in their hands.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Not for nothing, I kind of hope they make somewhat of a push but not enough to keep RM around.

I don't understand this.  I want a competitive team.  I want wins.  I want a Lombardi.  I am not clamoring to keep RM or get him out.  I want a winner. 

Why do you hope RM only sees limited success?  Limited enough to save face but not enough to keep his job? 

This seems very bizarre to me.

41 minutes ago, Bridgeburner said:

If he gets us to the playoffs this year, he is the guy.

He is literally one Todd Gurley brain fart away from being 4-0 as interim head coach.

That game was not on TG, there were horrible coaching decisions, time management decisions, etc...

You can also say DQ was 2 plays away from being 2-3, that doesnt mean he is the guy.

12 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

I don't understand this.  I want a competitive team.  I want wins.  I want a Lombardi.  I am not clamoring to keep RM or get him out.  I want a winner. 

Why do you hope RM only sees limited success?  Limited enough to save face but not enough to keep his job? 

This seems very bizarre to me.

Because I dont see RM as the answer but going 3-13 isnt the answer with how strapped this team is in the cap department. 

Whats more enticing to a young coach: a 5/6/7 win team with Vets that can still play and win games (MR 2, JJ, Neal, ETC...) and have to fill in a few spaces here or there? 

Or a 3 win team that cant win against winning teams and needs to be blown up...OH and you have no cap space?

3 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

They’re definitely playing a lot better, but I honestly don’t think Cook would’ve made a difference. Our defense was living in the backfield on their run plays that day. Cook wouldn’t have changed that. 

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

That game was not on TG, there were horrible coaching decisions, time management decisions, etc...

You can also say DQ was 2 plays away from being 2-3, that doesnt mean he is the guy.

Let's not forget the officiating. It was slanted so bad in favor of the Lions. It was so bad the announcers even pointed out that they were changing the outcome of the game. The fact the Falcons even had a chance to win that game after the refs handed the Lions about 10 points they didn't earn is amazing. I know, excuses, excuses but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

8 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

They’re definitely playing a lot better, but I honestly don’t think Cook would’ve made a difference. Our defense was living in the backfield on their run plays that day. Cook wouldn’t have changed that. 

I dont think we could have brought him down easily that day. Being in the backfield against RB2 is one thing, but you miss one tackle on Cook and he makes you pay. Hes also a great outlet in the passing game. Could be right though.

Let's pump the brakes a little.  I appreciate the optimism but we dug ourselves one heck of a hole yet again.  Currently we have a 3% chance of making the playoffs at all.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nfl-predictions/

A big boost would be if that contingency plan kicks in where 16 teams make the playoffs (8 from each conference).  Lot of work to to until then, and we need a lot of help from outsiders.