Are we actually worse off having to face Winston instead of Brees?

6 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, But I don't know if Payton will have Winston ready to constantly take shots down field though. The Saints offense a changed quite a bit. They now thrive off of short and dump off passes. I don't think they have a weapon that can really take the top off of defenses anymore.

Didn't really see Payton get aggressive with Winston the second half he played so I'm not sure if he will or how aggressive he'll let Winston be in his 1st game starting for the Saints.

...... that's if Winston is named the starter because how much are they paying Taysom Hill just to be a gadget player instead of an actual QB now?

Winston will start and play the majority of the game at QB. There's a reason Hill has attempted only 18 passes in going on 3 years now. Payton doesn't trust him. It's why Teddy Bridgewater started last year when Brees was hurt.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

drew would pick us apart love facing jamis

Have you guys paid attention to the way Jameis Winston has carved up the Falcons over the years?  

Winston didn't look all that impressive during that 2nd half he played.   I think the Falcons need to  blitz Winston and force him into mistakes. Also, don't fall for the none of the Taysom

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Iron Saint said:

As pointed out, he did play the last two games against the Buccaneers and 49ers.

His snap count is starting to reach normal levels after playing 55% of snaps in the TB game, then 78% against SF.

I was throwing you a softball bro. I knew he was getting some reps, but wanted to hear your take on how vital he was to that offense, and how much him being out had to do with whatever struggles offense had earlier in year. 🙃

Payton did not game plan for Winston as QB in week 10.  Don't draw too many conclusions from that game. Payton is one of the most adaptable offensive minds in the game. Why do you think the Saints win running out different combinations of players every week? Bridgewater and Brees are similar. Jameis is a different type of QB. The offensive game plan the Saints roll out Sunday will not be one where they ask Jameis to complete 70%+ of passes in the short area of the field. If they did, the Falcons could win by 20. Brees himself only led two TD drives in 8 quarters of football in 2019 vs. the Falcons with that approach. 

Many offensive coaches run their system and try to call plays the players on the field can handle. Others adapt their system to the players on the field. I consider Payton to be in the 2nd camp. 

Those who think of Winston as a guy who throws 3+ TDs and 3+ INTs every week are discounting the differences between Arians and Payton. Payton is not aggressive from the first snap. He'll work to build situations that favor Winston's ability to throw the deep ball. Don't be surprised to see a game plan that looks a lot like the Seattle Seahawks in 2012-2019.  Lots of in your face running all in an effort to set up deep shots, potentially (but not necessarily) off of play action. 

The key to Winston's success will be the ability of the Saints to run the football. If they run, he will be a problem. 

The "Brees rules and Winston drools" level of analysis by many in this thread is amusing to me. Football is all about matchups. To assume that the fact that Brees is a 10x better all around QB makes him better at attacking the Falcons defense of 2020 is weak. To assume that Winston under Payton equals Winston under Arians could prove to be equal folly. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I was throwing you a softball bro. I knew he was getting some reps, but wanted to hear your take on how vital he was to that offense, and how much him being out had to do with whatever struggles offense had earlier in year. 🙃

Hahah, fair enough. I mean, as for viability, our offense chugged right along for the most part when he was out the line up averaging ~280 passing yards/game with a 4-2 record. Yeah, we dropped those two games against the Raiders and Packers, but that just came down to a combination of a.) Payton getting in a pissing match and abandoning the run, b.) turnovers at the worst possible times, c.) inconsistent officiating from drive to drive. We really should’ve beaten the Packers that game but just gave it away.

6 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

We really should’ve beaten the Packers that game but just gave it away.

Every team that loses says that, my friend. But my falcons have taken that to an entirely new level in making an art form of it this season, SMH. :ninja:

And you still are whiffing on that softball I threw you. Or am I overrating the importance of Thomas in your offense? 

18 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We'll see what happens. Will Payton dramatically alter their typical gameplan to accommodate Winston's big arm? 

He'd be crazy not to game plan a crap ton of out-routes. Winston could have a good day as he often does against us, and/or there's always the key PI calls against our corners to bail them out in critical situations.

22 hours ago, Vandy said:

Every team that loses says that, my friend. But my falcons have taken that to an entirely new level in making an art form of it this season, SMH. :ninja:

And you still are whiffing on that softball I threw you. Or am I overrating the importance of Thomas in your offense? 

LMAO. And well Thomas can certainly be a big piece of our offense when the gameplan calls for it, but that really goes the same for any offense with a bonafide #1 WR in the lineup. Our offense under Payton is, and always has been, predicated on spreading the ball around (I believe 12 different players caught a pass 2 weeks ago against the Buccaneers, TWELVE; pretty insane) to limit who defenses can key on.

Even when he’s not putting up stats, the attention Thomas demands when on the field only further opens those opportunities for other players.

22 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

He'd be crazy not to game plan a crap ton of out-routes. Winston could have a good day as he often does against us, and/or there's always the key PI calls against our corners to bail them out in critical situations.

Man, now it sounds like you’re describing our secondary! :lol:

23 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

We really should’ve beaten the Packers that game but just gave it away.

We know all about this, We are the kings of it. The game Sunday would be for first place if we simply knew how to recover an onside kick vs the Cowboys... Not miss an XP and FG and then blow a 16pt lead vs the Bears in the final 5 minutes... simply kneeling 3 times and kicking a FG vs Lions.

15 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We know all about this, We are the kings of it. The game Sunday would be for first place if we simply knew how to recover an onside kick vs the Cowboys... Not miss an XP and FG and then blow a 16pt lead vs the Bears in the final 5 minutes... simply kneeling 3 times and kicking a FG vs Lions.

I feel it, you’re minding me of life before Sean Payton. 

2002 season - start off 7-2, go 2-5 down the stretch and miss the playoffs, sweep the eventual Super Bowl champion Buccaneers, but lose 3 straight at the end of the season to the 6-10 Vikings, 2-14 Bengals, and 7-9 Panthers by a combined 12 points.

:doh:

1 hour ago, Iron Saint said:

I feel it, you’re minding me of life before Sean Payton. 

2002 season - start off 7-2, go 2-5 down the stretch and miss the playoffs, sweep the eventual Super Bowl champion Buccaneers, but lose 3 straight at the end of the season to the 6-10 Vikings, 2-14 Bengals, and 7-9 Panthers by a combined 12 points.

:doh:

Falcons only made the playoffs that year because of the Saints losing out. Falcons lost their final game that year to finish at 9-6-1. Panthers beat the Saints on the final day of the season after the Falcons lost to the Browns clinching the playoffs for the Falcons.

Edited by AUTiger7222
On 11/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Winston didn't look all that impressive during that 2nd half he played.

I think the Falcons need to  blitz Winston and force him into mistakes. Also, don't fall for the none of the Taysom Hill stuff. When he's on the field he usually gets the ball no matter if he's at receiver or a QB draw.

Agreed. And I love how we are blitzing lately. Every since DQ came to Atlanta I have wondered why the guy refused to use the blitz. It plays to this squad's strengths... speed. 

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Falcons only made the playoffs that year because of the Saints losing out. Falcons lost their final game that year to finish at 9-6-1. Panthers beat the Saints on the final day of the season after the Falcons lost to the Browns clinching the playoffs for the Falcons.

We deserve a thank you card for that at least 😂

On 11/16/2020 at 10:21 PM, Osiruz said:

That's one thing we are terrible at and I've seen teams like the Niners defend Hill better. They know he is either running or throwing a pass when he is in, and we somehow always forget he is on the Field. Saints offense is build around him, Kamara, and Thomas. 

Run or pass you say intriguing,  I will also make the bold prediction at some point he will take the snap.  

Edited by #84