Mississippi State vs #13 Georgia

Thought JT showed a lot of promise.  Great arm strength and didn't force too many throws.  He checked down a lot and when he did stare down his receiver it seemed to be based on watching an opening develop and then zipping the ball at the right time. 

I think from his play my two favorite takeaways were him checking down on the flea flicker, showing restraint,  and his three well placed touchdown passes on one drive... thankfully Kearis decided to hold on to the last one. 

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you haven't read the DawgNation article about JT Daniels parents reaction, I'd recommend it. https://www.dawgnation.com/football/no-second-guessing-from-jt-daniels-family-after-401-yard-passin

Post from cassiegracesdad, a dude actually in the building... post titled "I dont normally do this but..."  

I think we have a QB boys

Posted Images

2 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I can’t handle this fan base. It looks like we finally have an answer at qb and instead of being excited about that we are clinging to some absurd theory that Kirby would rather tank this team than play the better qb option. 

If Kirby is so desperate for a Bennett/Fromm game manager why does he keep recruiting guys like JF, JT and BVG. 

It’s amazing dumbassery if people think Kirby wouldn’t have played Daniels over Stetson and Mathis if he had been able to do so.  SMH

14 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

It’s amazing dumbassery if people think Kirby wouldn’t have played Daniels over Stetson and Mathis if he had been able to do so.  SMH

I'm not sure why folks are so wound up about that. I want to ask them did you watch our defense and OL play? You should be way more pissed about that.

13 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

Yeah, if folks want to get mad- let’s talk about the amount of LB talent we have and the lack of pass rush we manufacture. The play safe to avoid the big play just ain’t it anymore. Let the players play. 

It's absolutely ridiculous at how bad we are at pass rushing. I just can't get excited about recruiting these 5* LB’s, knowing we won't get the most out of them. 

And our 5* OL, that can't run block at all. 

8 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Don't we lead the SEC in sacks though?

20 sacks total. 2nd to UF. I think the frustration stems from all the near misses. In reality we should probably have like 35 sacks as a team but there's been a lot of whiffs. That and seeing former #1 players like Nolan Smith barely crack the stat chart leads to a lot of the narrative.

2 hours ago, sdogg said:

It's absolutely ridiculous at how bad we are at pass rushing. I just can't get excited about recruiting these 5* LB’s, knowing we won't get the most out of them. 

And our 5* OL, that can't run block at all. 

Zero chance to get a pass rush when we only rush 3 not sure what we were doing there and more surprised we stuck with it... 

7 hours ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

We took what MSU's defense gave us.  You can't completely abandon the run since you have to keep them honest and I could be wrong but feel like most of Cook's runs were on tosses to the outside.  Monken is a **** good coordinator.  I've been impressed by his game plans and play calling to date.

Naw they was Def running it up the middle and if they tossed to the outside it was to the shorter side of the field which was dumb.

3 hours ago, mike teevee said:

Yeah, if folks want to get mad- let’s talk about the amount of LB talent we have and the lack of pass rush we manufacture. The play safe to avoid the big play just ain’t it anymore. Let the players play. 

Entire game almost was zone...after the game Roman Harper said he couldn’t understand why Georgia would play zone when success come from them being in man 

30 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Entire game almost was zone...after the game Roman Harper said he couldn’t understand why Georgia would play zone when success come from them being in man 

Harper is an idiot. That offense is designed to destroy man defense (see LSU) and we got smoked just about every time we ran man (see Mark Webb). The problem was the rush 3 drop 8 approach without mixing up coverages and having the defense drop back 10 yards every play. Our guys looked completely lost and confused for about 3 quarters. It was a garbage gameplan from Lanning.

34 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Roman Harper is a moron.. he is right there with Kevin Carter.  Playing zone was the right call..  Leach's system is designed to exploit man to man that is why teams switched the zone after seeing what they did to lsu.  The bigger issue was we didn't disguise anything and our lbs dropped too far back in coverage so they hit us underneath.  We basically played prevent defense and when we played man and gave it away they burned us.

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Roman Harper is a moron.. he is right there with Kevin Carter.  Playing zone was the right call..  Leach's system is designed to exploit man to man that is why teams switched the zone after seeing what they did to lsu.  The bigger issue was we didn't disguise anything and our lbs dropped too far back in coverage so they hit us underneath.  We basically played prevent defense and when we played man and gave it away they burned us.

My only problem was not playing a 4 man line more to generate more pressure but I completely understand what we were trying to do

The only thing to be upset about with the offense, I think, is the OL performance. People getting upset about Daniels not playing before now need to just stop. He wasn't healthy enough. That's how injuries go. This was said all along. You aren't healthy enough to help the team and then one week you are. If he had played the Florida game and gotten hurt again yall would be screaming woe is me. Let it go. We have a full season to look forward to with him now and his knee should be 100% and with Monken back... there's a lot to be excited about there.

The defense is a whole other matter. That was a complete failure until the 4th quarter, really the end of the 3rd quarter when I think our depth proved to be the difference. Leach has a dangerous offensive scheme and Will Rogers has been getting better with every game, and Leach said this was the best his team has executed all season, but there's really no excuse for it on our end. This is a more depleted MSU team than the one Bama held scoreless two weeks ago or the one Kentucky's defense held scoreless as well. This was MSU's highest yardage output since the opener against LSU. We were 26.5 point favorites.

I'm excited about the offense. Bit concerning we couldn't run the ball, but JT made them pay for overselling on the run and that's what we needed. If our running game can't get going next week then we have some real concerns on that end.

52 minutes ago, Carter said:

The defense is a whole other matter. That was a complete failure until the 4th quarter, really the end of the 3rd quarter when I think our depth proved to be the difference. Leach has a dangerous offensive scheme and Will Rogers has been getting better with every game, and Leach said this was the best his team has executed all season, but there's really no excuse for it on our end. This is a more depleted MSU team than the one Bama held scoreless two weeks ago or the one Kentucky's defense held scoreless as well. This was MSU's highest yardage output since the opener against LSU. We were 26.5 point favorites.

I really think we got caught playing the same defense everyone else did against them and that’s opposite of how we play defense. I have no problem with zone coverage but you better make sure that the QB isn’t comfortable in the pocket if you do play cover 3 and cover 4. We constantly got pressure with 4 down lineman but couldn’t quite get there with only 3. 

6 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

To harpers credit he did pretty much bring up how far off we played. Entire game was let them catch the ball. 

If you haven't read the DawgNation article about JT Daniels parents reaction, I'd recommend it.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/no-second-guessing-from-jt-daniels-family-after-401-yard-passing-performance

I know a lot of people prefer to just be angry and believe in their conspiracy theories over the truth these days, but the narrative needs to stop on this. Two years in a row we have the fathers of two QBs on the roster talking about how much confidence they have in Kirby and how much they appreciate him putting the health of their son first. Stop the madness.

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

If you haven't read the DawgNation article about JT Daniels parents reaction, I'd recommend it.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/no-second-guessing-from-jt-daniels-family-after-401-yard-passing-performance

I know a lot of people prefer to just be angry and believe in their conspiracy theories over the truth these days, but the narrative needs to stop on this. Two years in a row we have the fathers of two QBs on the roster talking about how much confidence they have in Kirby and how much they appreciate him putting the health of their son first. Stop the ******* madness.

Very good read! Thank you for sharing. 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, UAB_DAWG said:

I think we’ve also had to peel back a little on the pass rush due to weaknesses in the secondary. 

That is asinine thinking. Pressure is what helps the secondary. Makes the QB release the ball before he wants to, which shortens the amount of time the secondary has to cover. Even the best cornerbacks can’t cover a guy forever.