Mississippi State vs #13 Georgia

Well both teams are coming off an unexpected bye week with their games being postponed due to covid issues. MSU, like Mizzou, had some positive tests and players required to be held out through contact tracing. Hopefully those cases are all resolved for the better and there won’t be anymore covid issues for them.

Not sure how much I want to dive into analyzing this matchup with the possibility lingering that this game too could be postponed if MSU doesn’t have enough players cleared.

MSU started off hot against LSU but has since fallen off the radar in a bad way. That promising first game of the Mike Leach era in Starkville quickly gave way to another disappointing season. After that thrilling win, they rattled off 4 bad losses and just eeked out a win over Vanderbilt their last time out. Leach has given grad transfer QB KJ Costello the starting opportunities, but he has been benched a few times for freshman Will Rogers. The freshman has been more efficient and took all snaps in the win over Vandy. Costello suffered a head injury against Alabama the week before.

UGA has not had covid issues, but this is a depleted team nonetheless from injuries. The loss to Florida took a particularly heavy toll. The Dawgs of the east are hopeful to get some players back with the extra week off. QB will be a question mark until the next game is played, but it sounds like JT Daniels will finally make his debut if this game is played. And it could be a favorable matchup with a scrappy but underwhelming MSU defense traveling to Athens.

We will see how things unfold this week. UGA without a named starter at QB and Bennett injured opened as a 24 point favorite over Mississippi State.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you haven't read the DawgNation article about JT Daniels parents reaction, I'd recommend it. https://www.dawgnation.com/football/no-second-guessing-from-jt-daniels-family-after-401-yard-passin

Post from cassiegracesdad, a dude actually in the building... post titled "I dont normally do this but..."  

I think we have a QB boys

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

We’re averaging around 30 points but it does not seem like it

I wonder what it would be if you take away the defensive scores and any turnovers that left the offense in field goal range. 

7 hours ago, tl;dr said:

State has a solid defense believe it or not. Not great, but solid. Still, that offense is awful 

They always seem to have a decent defense. The times I have watched MSU this season, other than that crazy LSU game, they have been a pretty bad team overall though. That defense can force some turnovers but also they get burnt a good bit and... yeah, that offense is just awful. It's so bizarre. They looked amazing offensively against LSU and completely went into the toilet after that.

21 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

We’ve only broken 30 twice. Arkansas and Tennessee. And Bama and Florida rang up 42.5 on us. Amazing that we are 4-2. Been a poor season. A top 5 program with a walk-on starting QB. 

Well hopefully Daniels impresses us all now that he's ready to go. A lot of folks may come away saying too little too late, but it is what it is. Daniels hasn't been ready to go and now he is. We were in a bad spot after Newman opted out. Hopefully we can build some heavy momentum going into 2021 with a legit QB at least.

Just to update this thread, MSU had a DT opt out of the remaining season. Nathan Pickering. Radi reported earlier that MSU is razor thin at d line and if another DL player can't play then by rule they will have to call this game due to insufficient numbers of players available. Could also happen if a small number of players at other positions can't go. Very small margins here.

Hopefully there will be no more concerns and this game goes off without a hitch... and no injuries either!

15 hours ago, Carter said:

Just to update this thread, MSU had a DT opt out of the remaining season. Nathan Pickering. Radi reported earlier that MSU is razor thin at d line and if another DL player can't play then by rule they will have to call this game due to insufficient numbers of players available. Could also happen if a small number of players at other positions can't go. Very small margins here.

Hopefully there will be no more concerns and this game goes off without a hitch... and no injuries either!

I don’t understand this? They don’t have an Olineman that can play DL? It would seem they still have dozens of available guys even if they had to run some wild 2-5-4 defense or something. Is there a rule or stipulation I am unaware of?

7 hours ago, Dawggone said:

I don’t understand this? They don’t have an Olineman that can play DL? It would seem they still have dozens of available guys even if they had to run some wild 2-5-4 defense or something. Is there a rule or stipulation I am unaware of?

Yes they have to have at least 53 scholarship players available, to include: a quarterback, 7 offensive linemen, 4 defensive linemen. Many games have already been postponed due to this.

I believe teams can technically choose to go ahead and play if both teams agree to it, but what is the point of doing that especially if it can be postponed? Nobody wants to watch a garbage game with a bunch of players playing out of position after practicing less than a week there.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-announces-minimum-roster-requirements-for-its-2020-college-football-season-covid-19-protocols/

2 hours ago, putnam6 said:

It's a big fat rationalization but I'm gonna try and enjoy a no stress game. Just get em through healthy, get reps for the young guys and finally a look at JT Daniels. Not as interested in whats happening even around the league either its just a crazy year. 

I do not want to see D Rob and Landers play.  I hope Laners transfers this offseason.  I would like to see DJ Daniels start over Campbell.  Campbell is too grabby.      

7 hours ago, putnam6 said:

It's a big fat rationalization but I'm gonna try and enjoy a no stress game. Just get em through healthy, get reps for the young guys and finally a look at JT Daniels. Not as interested in whats happening even around the league either its just a crazy year. 

well nothing else you can do, playoffs are gone with 2 L's

On 11/17/2020 at 7:57 PM, Carter said:

Well hopefully Daniels impresses us all now that he's ready to go. A lot of folks may come away saying too little too late, but it is what it is. Daniels hasn't been ready to go and now he is. We were in a bad spot after Newman opted out. Hopefully we can build some heavy momentum going into 2021 with a legit QB at least.

I have to admit I'm watching but I'm more or less just going through the motions. The Daniels thing is a reason that makes it more interesting though.