I hope Michigan runs Harbaugh out of town and right into Atlanta

29 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Harbaugh has been out of the NFL for 7 years, which is a lifetime in NFL terms. He had success with the 49ers and I guess that is what people are hanging their hat on, but looking back how much of that success was down to the defensive talent assembled by the previous regime that he had at his disposable and his coordinators Vic Fangio and Greg Roman? 

Those 6, going on 7 years at Michigan, given all the resources that have been made available to him, has been at worst an abject failure and at best well below expectations. During his tenure, Michigan are 37-5 vs. unranked teams, 7-12 vs. ranked BIG 10 teams and 11-16 vs. ranked teams. He holds a rather unceremonious record of never winning a game where Michigan were deemed underdogs by the bookies. Given his background is on the offensive side of the ball, Michigan's offense has been stagnant, out-dated and continuously failed to get the most out of talented offensive prospects, handpicked by Harbaugh himself. 

Outside of having NFL experience as a head coach and being a disciplinarian, I fail to see what he'll bring to any NFL franchise.

I'll reiterate the quote from the original post and leave it there:

"“It’s a legitimate question,” an NFL executive said, via Yahoo Sports. “He can’t quite get it fixed there at Michigan. When you leave a place in the NFL, if you have any scars, they’ll get you. And when he left San Francisco, it was scorched earth.”

Isn't that what good head coaches do? They hire good coordinators and let them do their jobs without interferencing?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No

Co-signed. 

He’s basically Michigan’s version of Dan Quinn right now and you want the Falcons to hire him?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Porkins said:

The argument is college performance bears little correlation with professional experience. And vice versa. 

Is there an example of a coach who had a good record in the NFL, went to college football and stunk it up, and then came back to the NFL and had success?

I can think of NFL coaches who went to college and came back, like Pete Carroll, but they were actually successful in college

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, we as fans should care about wins. Not about how cool of a person the coach is. Pete Carroll has always come off as a slimy, sketchy, cheating a-hole to me. Same with Sean Payton. I guarantee both fan bases don’t care at all 

The unfortunate truth is that jerks win Super Bowls.  

I just don’t see Blank and McKay bringing in a guy like Harbaugh.  This organization seems to place a high value on consensus and they’re not going to bring a bomb-thrower into the room.  

27 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

The unfortunate truth is that jerks win Super Bowls.  

I just don’t see Blank and McKay bringing in a guy like Harbaugh.  This organization seems to place a high value on consensus and they’re not going to bring a bomb-thrower into the room.  

Why does everyone automatically assume that Harbaugh was the reason (bomb) the 49ers organization exploded? We don't know the full behind the scenes deal there but from what I read the owner and GM were far more to blame for what happened there than Harbaugh. The 49ers overall record of dysfunction since Jed York became controlling owner (around 2000) screams that the issues in San Francisco were far deeper than Harbaugh.

1 hour ago, blizzard_falcon said:

Is there an example of a coach who had a good record in the NFL, went to college football and stunk it up, and then came back to the NFL and had success?

I can think of NFL coaches who went to college and came back, like Pete Carroll, but they were actually successful in college

Not sure the sample size of successful NFL coaches that left for college and then came back is going to give any kind of meaningful result. 

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Isn't that what good head coaches do? They hire good coordinators and let them do their jobs without interferencing?

No, that is what Quinn does.  

A good HC hires the coordinators and uses their talents but directs them.   A good HC sets goals/responsibilities and holds everyone accountable.   

5 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I'd be more inclined to go with Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly or Jimbo Fisher if we could lure them out of the college ranks.

So, you are a minor league fan.  Nothing wrong with that.  But, this is the major league.  Even the best college coaches don't have the strategic capacity to manage grown men.  

College fandom....not applicable.  

3 minutes ago, etherdome said:

So, you are a minor league fan.  Nothing wrong with that.  But, this is the major league.  Even the best college coaches don't have the strategic capacity to manage grown men.  

College fandom....not applicable.  

Exactly. That's why I'm not on the Harbaugh wagon. Just saying, if we're going to get college coaches, get some real ones.

33 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Look what this Flores guy is doing in Miami.  I never heard of the man before this season.  My guess is that he was not the "hot coordinator".  

He looks like a serious, no nonsense guy that organizes and directs everyone on the roster and coaching staff.  

I want that kind of guy.

He was a hot coordinator that’s exactly what he was. He wasn’t some unknown lowly assistant or something

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

He isn't serious and brutal as Coughlin.

Players find it very difficult to play for Coughlin. Players like Harbaugh.

I guess you could be right , i wouldn't  know the answer to that , so im assuming it was ownership that really disliked him then . 

20 hours ago, Snafu said:

I'm going to keep posting this in every Harbaugh thread:

44–19–1

All of you people automatically dismissing him are out of your ******* minds.

It’s not even that, many of his players, big named players even, hated playing for him.  I don’t need them to love a coach, as we have seen how that goes, but many players came out and said how toxic he was.  That’s fine in college when you are turning players every few years, but people don’t want to stick around at a place where they hate their boss.  Also had a very good coaching staff.  

2 cents from a michigan fan:

1. my a** still hurts from what wisconsin did at the big house last night

2. I'd be surprised if harbaugh gets booted this year despite the record. he's still the golden boy in AA and he'll get the covid/'this was a rebuildung year anyways' mulligan on the season.

3. his san fran success was too long ago. nfl players aren't going to respond to a coach who they know as a guy who keeps getting spanked by ohio state.

4. the "he can't recruit" argument is ignorant on so many levels.

5. people who think he's some sort of offense guru seriously need to watch some michigan games. seriously. 4th and goal from the 1 against a lineman factory and he calls a qb dive with no play action or lead blocker .... guru