• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No

Co-signed. 

He’s basically Michigan’s version of Dan Quinn right now and you want the Falcons to hire him?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I mean his worst season was 8-8

True, but they lost 4 straight of their last 5 games that season.

I wish we had more details about what went on between Harbaugh and SF's FO/ownership. We know something happened but the actual facts has been one of the best kept secrets of the NFL. Owners just don't give up on HC's who've had that much success that early so quickly.

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Oh I’m not saying it’s MY concern, I’m just saying it could be why so many fans are writing him off. I think hiring Harbaugh with this current roster would be a no brainer

As I pointed out, if Harbaugh was coming straight here from the 49ers the tune on this message board about him would be 180 degrees the other way. But now Michigan is all that matters and the 49ers job is meaningless despite how different coaching in college and the NFL is.

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

As I pointed out, if Harbaugh was coming straight here from the 49ers the tune on this message board about him would be 180 degrees the other way. But now Michigan is all that matters and the 49ers job is meaningless despite how different coaching in college and the NFL is.

This.

I think people forget how big of a joke SF was before he got there, then how big of a joke they were after he was ran off.

2003 2003 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0     Dennis Erickson
2004 2004 NFL NFC West 4th 2 14 0    
2005 2005 NFL NFC West 4th 4 12 0     Mike Nolan
2006 2006 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0    
2007 2007 NFL NFC West 3rd 5 11 0   Patrick Willis (DROY)
2008 2008 NFL NFC West 2nd 7 9 0     Mike Nolan (2–5)
Mike Singletary (5–4)
2009 2009 NFL NFC West 2nd 8 8 0     Mike Singletary
2010 2010 NFL NFC West 3rd 6 10 0     Mike Singletary (5–10)
Jim Tomsula (1–0)
2011 2011 NFL NFC West^ 1st^ 13 3 0 Won Divisional Playoffs (Saints) 36–32
Lost NFC Championship (Giants) 20–17 (OT)
Jim Harbaugh (COY) Jim Harbaugh
2012 2012 NFL NFC* West^ 1st^ 11 4 1 Won Divisional Playoffs (Packers) 45–31
Won NFC Championship (at Falcons) 28–24
Lost Super Bowl XLVII (vs. Ravens) 34–31

2013 2013 NFL NFC West 2nd# 12 4 0 Won Wild Card Playoffs (at Packers) 23–20
Won Divisional Playoffs (at Panthers) 23–10
Lost NFC Championship (at Seahawks) 23–17

2014 2014 NFL NFC West 3rd 8 8 0    
2015 2015 NFL NFC West 4th 5 11 0   Anquan Boldin (MOY) Jim Tomsula
2016 2016 NFL NFC West 4th 2 14 0     Chip Kelly
2017 2017 NFL NFC West 4th 6 10 0     Kyle Shanahan
2018 2018 NFL NFC West 3rd 4 12 0
1 minute ago, Snafu said:

This.

I think people forget how big of a joke SF was before he got there, then how big of a joke they were after he was ran off.

2003 2003 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0     Dennis Erickson
2004 2004 NFL NFC West 4th 2 14 0    
2005 2005 NFL NFC West 4th 4 12 0     Mike Nolan
2006 2006 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0    
2007 2007 NFL NFC West 3rd 5 11 0   Patrick Willis (DROY)
2008 2008 NFL NFC West 2nd 7 9 0     Mike Nolan (2–5)
Mike Singletary (5–4)
2009 2009 NFL NFC West 2nd 8 8 0     Mike Singletary
2010 2010 NFL NFC West 3rd 6 10 0     Mike Singletary (5–10)
Jim Tomsula (1–0)
2011 2011 NFL NFC West^ 1st^ 13 3 0 Won Divisional Playoffs (Saints) 36–32
Lost NFC Championship (Giants) 20–17 (OT)
Jim Harbaugh (COY) Jim Harbaugh
2012 2012 NFL NFC* West^ 1st^ 11 4 1 Won Divisional Playoffs (Packers) 45–31
Won NFC Championship (at Falcons) 28–24
Lost Super Bowl XLVII (vs. Ravens) 34–31

2013 2013 NFL NFC West 2nd# 12 4 0 Won Wild Card Playoffs (at Packers) 23–20
Won Divisional Playoffs (at Panthers) 23–10
Lost NFC Championship (at Seahawks) 23–17

2014 2014 NFL NFC West 3rd 8 8 0    
2015 2015 NFL NFC West 4th 5 11 0   Anquan Boldin (MOY) Jim Tomsula
2016 2016 NFL NFC West 4th 2 14 0     Chip Kelly
2017 2017 NFL NFC West 4th 6 10 0     Kyle Shanahan
2018 2018 NFL NFC West 3rd 4 12 0

Exactly. No one else could win there and Harbaugh did.

I don't understand why people are worried that he may not last longer than 3 or 4 years before the bottom falls out. As @JD dirtybird21 has correctly pointed out, we only have 3 or 4 years left with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones and we need a coach that can come in and win immediately and Harbaugh will do that. The 49ers job proved that. Even at Michigan he won early there before things went south. Give us 3 or 4 years with Harbaugh and it's our best shot at winning a Super Bowl. Then you blow it all up, hire a new coach and draft a new franchise QB and let them grow up together.

9 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Wasn't Michigan already terrible before he got there?

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Exactly. No one else could win there and Harbaugh did.

I don't understand why people are worried that he may not last longer than 3 or 4 years before the bottom falls out. As @JD dirtybird21 has correctly pointed out, we only have 3 or 4 years left with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones and we need a coach that can come in and win immediately and Harbaugh will do that. The 49ers job proved that. Even at Michigan he won early there before things went south. Give us 3 or 4 years with Harbaugh and it's our best shot at winning a Super Bowl. Then you blow it all up, hire a new coach and draft a new franchise QB and let them grow up together.

If Harbaugh was to win a SB with Ryan, then I would let him stay and groom Ryan's replacement and see if the Falcons remain competitive.

7 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Wasn't Michigan already terrible before he got there?

Yes. Michigan was terrible for quite a long time under Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke. In the 7 years from 2008-2014 they went only 46-42. That run included an 11-2 season. They never won more than 8 games in any other year of that run and had seasons of 3 wins, 5 wins and 5 wins. In fact, take out the 11-2 season and their record from 2008-2014 was 35-40. Harbaugh took over in 2015 and immediately doubled their win total from 5 to 10. For as "terrible" as Harbaugh has been at Michigan, his record there is 48-21 and he's won 10 games in a season 3 times. His problem is they haven't beat Ohio State and are 1-4 in bowl games. Michigan is a program where they don't care how many games you win if you don't beat Ohio State.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yes. Michigan was terrible for quite a long time under Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke. In the 7 years from 2008-2014 they went only 46-42. That run included an 11-2 season. They never won more than 8 games in any other year of that run and had seasons of 3 wins, 5 wins and 5 wins. In fact, take out the 11-2 season and their record from 2008-2014 was 35-40. Harbaugh took over in 2015 and immediately doubled their win total from 5 to 10. For as "terrible" as Harbaugh has been at Michigan, his record there is 48-21 and he's won 10 games in a season 3 times. His problem is they haven't beat Ohio State and are 1-4 in bowl games. Michigan is a program where they don't care how many games you win if you don't beat Ohio State.

Oh, I thought that Harbaugh had a losing record at Michigan. Haven't really been following him, but Michigan fans after like he was terrible.

Yeah, beating Ohio State is the end all be all for Michigan and their alumni. About as close to winning a National Championship for them.

38 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True, but they lost 4 straight of their last 5 games that season.

I wish we had more details about what went on between Harbaugh and SF's FO/ownership. We know something happened but the actual facts has been one of the best kept secrets of the NFL. Owners just don't give up on HC's who've had that much success that early so quickly.

I posted in the Harbaugh thread from last week with more detail the gist of it is almost all the best players on those good teams were drafted by a previous GM before Harbaugh. The new GM and Harbaugh didn’t draft as well and eventually when all the old good players were on the cusp of falling apart, the new GM forced out Harbaugh in a power struggle until it was obvious he was a wreck in his own right once Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly flamed out. 

52 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Absolutely no one should be taken off the table.  

I am not a Harbaugh fan, but I have to admit that if he took over the team, made the most of his personnel and won championships, I would easily put up with his abrasive personality.  

Yea, we as fans should care about wins. Not about how cool of a person the coach is. Pete Carroll has always come off as a slimy, sketchy, cheating a-hole to me. Same with Sean Payton. I guarantee both fan bases don’t care at all 

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

How is Harbaugh a terrible candidate?

Harbaugh has been out of the NFL for 7 years, which is a lifetime in NFL terms. He had success with the 49ers and I guess that is what people are hanging their hat on, but looking back how much of that success was down to the defensive talent assembled by the previous regime that he had at his disposable and his coordinators Vic Fangio and Greg Roman? 

Those 6, going on 7 years at Michigan, given all the resources that have been made available to him, has been at worst an abject failure and at best well below expectations. During his tenure, Michigan are 37-5 vs. unranked teams, 7-12 vs. ranked BIG 10 teams and 11-16 vs. ranked teams. He holds a rather unceremonious record of never winning a game where Michigan were deemed underdogs by the bookies. Given his background is on the offensive side of the ball, Michigan's offense has been stagnant, out-dated and continuously failed to get the most out of talented offensive prospects, handpicked by Harbaugh himself. 

Outside of having NFL experience as a head coach and being a disciplinarian, I fail to see what he'll bring to any NFL franchise.

I'll reiterate the quote from the original post and leave it there:

"“It’s a legitimate question,” an NFL executive said, via Yahoo Sports. “He can’t quite get it fixed there at Michigan. When you leave a place in the NFL, if you have any scars, they’ll get you. And when he left San Francisco, it was scorched earth.”

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

Harbaugh has been out of the NFL for 7 years, which is a lifetime in NFL terms. He had success with the 49ers and I guess that is what people are hanging their hat on, but looking back how much of that success was down to the defensive talent he had at his disposable and his coordinators Vic Fangio and Greg Roman? 

Those 6, going on 7 years at Michigan, given all the resources that have been made available to him, has been at worst an abject failure and at best well below expectations. During his tenure, Michigan are 37-5 vs. unranked teams, 7-12 vs. ranked BIG 10 teams and 11-16 vs. ranked teams. He holds a rather unceremonious record of never winning a game where Michigan were deemed underdogs by the bookies. Given his background is on the offensive side of the ball, Michigan's offense has been stagnant, out-dated and continuously failed to get the most out of talented offensive prospects, handpicked by Harbaugh himself. 

Outside of having NFL experience as a head coach and being a disciplinarian, I fail to see what he'll bring to any NFL franchise.

I'll reiterate the quote from the original post and leave it there:

"“It’s a legitimate question,” an NFL executive said, via Yahoo Sports. “He can’t quite get it fixed there at Michigan. When you leave a place in the NFL, if you have any scars, they’ll get you. And when he left San Francisco, it was scorched earth.”

I mean...Dick Vermeil was out of the NFL for 15 years, then he won the SB. 

And sure, maybe Harbaugh’s success can be drawn to Roman and Fangio. He hired them, he deserves the credit. Head coaches don’t run it on their own. They assemble the right teams to set players up for success. Using your logic is like suggesting that Singletary should have won or Tomsula should have won. They didn’t. Harbaugh did. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I mean...**** Vermeil was out of the NFL for 15 years, then he won the SB. 

And sure, maybe Harbaugh’s success can be drawn to Roman and Fangio. He hired them, he deserves the credit. Head coaches don’t run it on their own. They assemble the right teams to set players up for success. Using your logic is like suggesting that Singletary should have won or Tomsula should have won. They didn’t. Harbaugh did. 

Harbaugh won and yet they still couldn't wait to get rid of him.

And as we've seen DQ hired Kyle Shanahan who's coat-tails he was able to ride to the cusp of a ring. He wasn't able to replicate that since. Just like Harbaugh hasn't been able to replicate that same success he had with Roman and Fangio.

If we're going to hire a head coach who's success is largely dependent on the coordinators around him, then we might as well have kept DQ.

17 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Harbaugh won and yet they still couldn't wait to get rid of him.

And as we've seen DQ hired Kyle Shanahan who's coat-tails he was able to ride to the cusp of a ring. He wasn't able to replicate that since. Just like Harbaugh hasn't been able to replicate that same success he had with Roman and Fangio.

If we're going to hire a head coach who's success is largely dependent on the coordinators around him, then we might as well have kept DQ.

Harbaugh went 28-11 in his first 3 years at Michigan. So I’m not sure I agree with your stance that he couldn’t replicate his success.

Look at Harbaughs overall body of work. The commonality is that EVERYWHERE he’s coached, he’s won almost instantly. But his success fades usually after 3-4 years. That’s who he is. He’s a good short term investment coach. That has never changed