EDGE: Kwity Paye or Gregory Rousseau?

FalconsIn2012

This is a debate I would have scoffed at  a month ago.  Paye has been mocked to us by several different publications.  He is an ideal DE in a 43.  He has prototypical DE size and is incredibly strong.  At 6’4, 275 lbs he has been more freak athlete than elite DE in terms of production heading into this year

But dude has been on a tear despite Michigan’s poor start.  In just 3 games he has created 24 QB hurries.  The next closest on his team has 7.  

Since  EDGE will likely be ou first round priority, who do you guys like: Kwity Paye or Gregory Rousseau?  Or do you like Rumph, the gifted pass rusher from Duke, or Quincy Roche from Miami.  Here is a solid discussion on Paye vs Rousseau

I haven't seen a lot of Paye tape yet, but I do like that he's starting to put it together this season and isn't another athletic freak with no production ala K'Lavon Chaisson last year. The size sticks out as well.

As far as Rosseau is concerned.. Not a fan. He seems more like an interior pass rusher to me at the next level and while 15 sacks is a lot, they require more context. A bunch of his production he seemingly fell into, going unblocked on a few and a good handful being coverage sacks as well. Haven't seen him use a single pass rushing move either just a straight bull rush. Can't get by with that at the next level when everyone is your size.

This isn't even close imho, just going off what I've watched of both. Rousseau is just on an entirely other level when it comes to his blend of strength, savvy, awareness, and outright dominance of other players. Hold coverage for 3-4 seconds and the guy was beating double teams multiple times in the 2nd half of the 2nd game I linked. This not even mentioning how young he is (he was 19 in these games), how relatively raw (in terms of counters mostly) and how he's a great athlete to go with everything else. Looked crazy fluid dropping in coverage for a guy his size. That's a guy you can build around. And with Grady next to him? With how well he can collapse the pocket and hold an edge? Man would feast, and early. Can't double team both of them next to each other.

Paye honestly just hasn't impressed me. He seems fairly fast from a straight line perspective but pretty inflexible, short arms that seem to always get out-lengthed (they might not be that short but that they look that short is a problem), and he's getting handled by one guy regularly. Like in this first one - dude doesn't even do anything until the last minute and a half or so here, and he didn't do a **** thing to impress me. Jmho. And dude constantly does the stupid *** head lowering Takk bullrush. 

It's just a weird comparison to me. The two aren't even on the same level. Totally different players, but to me...it'd be like asking in 2019, "Clelin Ferrell or Nick Bosa?" Like am I watching different guys right now? 

Was just looking to see other videos of Paye in case he was gonna show something and one of the first videos I got was from The Draft Network, posted 14 hours ago (the one you linked), about Rousseau vs Paye. Yeah, it's just people trying to find something to talk about. No comparison

I don’t want another d-linemen in the 1st round to be honest. There is a lot of great talent in the first round when it comes to offensive linemen and I would rather have an elite talent on that side of the ball as opposed to defense. We have not been able to develop any of our high round DL picks and no Grady Jarrett doesn’t count because dude darn near developed himself. If the prospect is not of the same caliber on the defensive side, give me one of the elite OL talents on that side hands down.

8 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If the Falcons can upgrade FS in FA, should the Falcons double dip at edge rushers with the first 2 picks like how they did with Lindstrom and McGary?

Yeah we probably could draft Rousseau and maybe trade up in the first and get Rhumph. Personally that would be a great idea

8 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If the Falcons can upgrade FS in FA, should the Falcons double dip at edge rushers with the first 2 picks like how they did with Lindstrom and McGary?

I don’t think it’s a great EDGE class so I’m not sure they double dip.  They will likely go best EDGE available in RD 1.  After Rousseau they would be wise to trade back snd stack top 100 picks.  They can get Paye (teens), Roche/Rumph/Hamilcar (late round 1).  If they double dip anywhere it would be at FS.

Just did a quick mock with a move down and was able to grab

4mdkzr.jpg

10 hours ago, Arkridge said:

I haven't seen a lot of Paye tape yet, but I do like that he's starting to put it together this season and isn't another athletic freak with no production ala K'Lavon Chaisson last year. The size sticks out as well.

As far as Rosseau is concerned.. Not a fan. He seems more like an interior pass rusher to me at the next level and while 15 sacks is a lot, they require more context. A bunch of his production he seemingly fell into, going unblocked on a few and a good handful being coverage sacks as well. Haven't seen him use a single pass rushing move either just a straight bull rush. Can't get by with that at the next level when everyone is your size.

Greg is a former safety and WR. Not close to being an interior pass rusher. His strength is his long arms. You don’t neutralized that by putting him inside.