Shout Out: Hayden Hurst

44 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Crump was really good, but I am very optimist about Hurst.  I an see him as an offensive weapon for another 8 years

I doubt that given his age already.

27 minutes ago, Captain Falcon said:

People forget too easily about Crumpler. Him and Tony are sort of tied for me as the all time tight ends greats for the Falcons. Crumpler was almost ROH worthy even. I mean not quite but almost. 

He also played in an offense with a horrific passing game while still putting up good TE numbers. I would have loved to see what Crump could have done in a good passing offense.

32 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I doubt that given his age already.

He also played in an offense with a horrific passing game while still putting up good TE numbers. I would have loved to see what Crump could have done in a good passing offense.

That’s what TEs stats tend to do in those situations.

I would have liked to see what Crump could have done if he had taken better care of his body.

I’m surprised no one here is commenting on Hursts receiving and TD catch stats dwarfing Hoopers. And this is while Hurst is learning a new system with a new QB.

add this to fact Hurst is a better run blocker and Blocker in pass protection and you’ve got to see this signing as nothing short of brilliant.

I said when we signed him he was a better fit for the offense and everyone here knows I’m an expert on TEs ;)

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m surprised no one here is commenting on Hursts receiving and TD catch stats dwarfing Hoopers. And this is while Hurst is learning a new system with a new QB.

add this to fact Hurst is a better run blocker and Blocker in pass protection and you’ve got to see this signing as nothing short of brilliant.

I said when we signed him he was a better fit for the offense and everyone here knows I’m an expert on TEs ;)

Hurst is coming on nicely in the passing game, which we knew he would as long as he stayed healthy.  But truth to tell, he’s been disappointing as a blocker....so bad in fact, Hooper was frankly the better blocker.....which hoop improved on every facet of during his time here to where he was no longer a liability during his last couple ATL seasons in the run blocking role. But I don’t think he was ever as bad blocking as Hayden has looked in blocking so far this year. 

So, I wish we had Hurst in more of a joker TE role and utilized Graham as the conventional TE for blocking. Plus as we know, Graham has some pass catching skills also. Hurst’s athleticism  (think Dallas Clark) would be unstoppable in that joker role + Matt would thrive in two-TE sets. 

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Hurst is coming on nicely in the passing game, which we knew he would as long as he stayed healthy.  But truth to tell, he’s been disappointing as a blocker....so bad in fact, Hooper was frankly the better blocker.....which hoop improved on every facet of during his time here to where he was no longer a liability his last couple seasons in ATL there. And I don’t think he was ever as bad blocking as Hayden has looked in blocking so far this year. 

So, I wish we had Hurst in more of a joker TE role and utilized Graham as the conventional TE for blocking. Plus as we know, Graham has some pass catching skills also. Hurst’s athleticism  (think Dallas Clark) would be unstoppable in that joker role + Matt would thrive in two-TE sets. 

This is truth.  Hurst has been amongst the worst run blocking TE’s this year.  He grades out at a 30.1 as a blocker while Hooper is a 70.  

Hooper is a very good football player.  But Hurst & Hooper can thank Ryan for their massive 2nd contracts once Hurst gets his

On 11/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

#3 maybe. Alge Crumper will be hard to pass as #2. Alge actually had more yards and the same amount of TEs as TG had with us. (Albeit he played more games also)

Don’t get me wrong, I like Hurst a lot, but Crump is #2, TG is one, and Hurst could be 3.

Taking all that into account, Jim Mitchell is the #1 statistical TE in team history

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Hurst is coming on nicely in the passing game, which we knew he would as long as he stayed healthy.  But truth to tell, he’s been disappointing as a blocker....so bad in fact, Hooper was frankly the better blocker.....which hoop improved on every facet of during his time here to where he was no longer a liability during his last couple ATL seasons in the run blocking role. But I don’t think he was ever as bad blocking as Hayden has looked in blocking so far this year. 

Don't mix up blocking effectiveness while learning a new scheme with athletic blocking ability. They are two different things. I'm talking about the latter. He was used primarily for his blocking skills in Baltimore.

Baltimore had the NFLs most rushing yards in NFL history with Ricard, Andrews, Boyle and Hurst blocking.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Don't mix up blocking effectiveness while learning a new scheme with athletic blocking ability. They are two different things. I'm talking about the latter. He was used primarily for his blocking skills in Baltimore.

Baltimore had the NFLs most rushing yards in NFL history with Ricard, Andrews, Boyle and Hurst blocking.

I think it’s important to credit Ryan for the success of both Hurst & Hooper.  

Remember last year when Hooper went down for 3 games, Graham accumulated 40 yards per game over those 3 games snd caught a TD.  Over 16 games that’s around 650 yards and 5 TD’s, which is what Hooper & Hurst have done with Ryan.

As I’ve said, Ryan will be productive with any decent players around him.  And none of those players has left Atlanta and done anything without Ryan

11 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m not mixing up anything brother. TE’s are my thang, I know by watching them more in games than any other position. If you’re a good run blocker, you can block in any scheme. He’s not. Watch the games, he’s been a liability when we’ve ran the ball. And hooper (His last couple seasons here) was not near the run blocking liability you and others made him out to be either. He wasn’t great but was serviceable, and much better at it than hurst has been.

We need to move Hurst out to joker, which is where you advocated Eric Saubert <cough cough> to play. And bring in jaeden Graham...who really can be an effective blocker...in on running downs, as well as in more passing downs.

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think it’s important to credit Ryan for the success of both Hurst & Hooper.  

Remember last year when Hooper went down for 3 games, Graham accumulated 40 yards per game over those 3 games snd caught a TD.  Over 16 games that’s around 650 yards and 5 TD’s, which is what Hooper & Hurst have done with Ryan.

As I’ve said, Ryan will be productive with any decent players around him.  And none of those players has left Atlanta and done anything without Ryan

Like I mentioned earlier, I wish we ran more two-TE sets with graham and Hurst. They with Matt would be an unstoppable matchup nightmare for opposing defenses in our own mini version of pats (Brady/Gronkowski + Hernandez) and colts (manning/pollard and Clark) teams who effectively utilized this concept.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/strategy-minicamps/2006/too-deep-zone-multi-tight-end-sets-passing-game

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1624948-breaking-down-why-the-two-tight-end-offense-is-the-best-in-the-nfl.amp.html

Vandy, I haven’t been paying as close attention to Falcons this year as I usually do, going back and rewatching plays etc. It wouldn’t surprise me if Hursts blocking doesn’t appear at this time to be better than Hoopers given the new scheme. So much to learn for a TE and no doubt he’s put much of his focus and intensity on his receiving game since here. 

I did, however, do my due diligence when we signed Hurst. He came from the best running attack in NFL history and was used primarily as a run blocker in the best rushing attack in NFL history. So I base my comments of him being a proficient blocker, some  degree better than Hooper was, on his entire NFL career, not just on 9 games as a Falcon. 

Hurst was a quality run blocker for the Ravens run-heavy scheme, and has the ability to get downfield as well as run the intermediate routes over the middle.” https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-trade-ravens-hayden-hurst-2020-nfl-draft-free-agency-cap-space

This was a writeup on Gurleys best rushing day here “Stocker and Hurst make the key blocks, with Hurst climbing to the second level to truly turn this into a big play. “ https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/an-inside-look-at-todd-gurley-s-most-productive-day-with-the-falcons

Hers an AJC article from when we signed Hurst acknowledging his blocking ability from Baltimore  https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/hurst-flash-his-speed-and-blocking-talents-for-the-falcons/R4dkEvtQozTCM58BXMGzvM/

“There have already been Atlanta Falcons fans and writers that have trashed this trade, which is crazy. Hayden Hurst is a first-round talent, a better blocker than Hooper” https://bloggingdirty.com/2020/03/16/atlanta-falcons-hayden-hurst/