Investing in The OL in 2019 is Beginning to Pay Off- Lindstrom and McGary Have Been Great!

I don't have PFF numbers to back up these thoughts (although I believe Lindstrom is currently OG8 on PFF), but it seems to me that Lindstrom and McGary are both making tremendous steps toward being building blocks along the offensive line. Multiple times throughout the Denver and second Carolina game the announcers highlighted big blocking plays from Lindstrom especially but McGary has done an awesome job as well. Last year McGary was thrown into the fire and became "Waldo" getting picked on by pass rushers but those reps are proving invaluable and he looks like a vet in year 2.

Don't look now, but I'm starting to think that we may have two reliable young blockers for years to come and maybe spending two first rounders on the OL is going to prove a lot of fans wrong like me that found the 2019 draft baffling from TD and Quinn.

Has anyone else liked what they've seen in year 2 from Lindstrom and McGary, or am I crazy? I'm hopeful for this offensive line for once!

Edited by Arkridge
3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

No doubt those two appear to be keepers. Add Hennessy keep Jake around and the OL should be set for yrs to come. I just don’t understand why TD didn’t make this a priority or let’s say do a better job in this area a long time ago. TD just sucked at finding OLs and pass rushers.

TD should have made some moves in the 2019 draft. Maybe take a guard early or move back in to the first round to take an RT. If only he had drafted one of the better centers in the draft in the 3rd round this year.

The real kicker would have been for him to go back to 2014 and take a highly rated left tackle early in the draft then sign him to a decent long term deal to lock him in. 

But alas he did none of those things and he should have been fired.

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

TD should have made some moves in the 2019 draft. Maybe take a guard early or move back in to the first round to take an RT. If only he had drafted one of the better centers in the draft in the 3rd round this year.

The real kicker would have been for him to go back to 2014 and take a highly rated left tackle early in the draft then sign him to a decent long term deal to lock him in. 

Praise the lord he finally caught on...but unfortunately AB thought it was a little late. Oh yeah let’s not forget pass rushers. 

The real kicker is AB got TROFFED

41 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Huh you're nutthugging Dimi so hard you forgot about  Sackmaker Baker, Puddin, King Konz, My Johnson, Dead President, Boogerman, Brawley, ButtaFusco, Babe Carimi, Jamon Browned, Jimmy Carpenter, ReynoldsWrap, Chester the Molester, Assamoi, Missing Person, VeeTek, Shun Harlow, Swipester, James Stoned, Ryan Shredded, Sombrero, Fake Rodgers and ThruBlood.

24 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Huh you're nutthugging Dimi so hard you forgot about  Sackmaker Baker, Puddin, King Konz, My Johnson, Dead President, Boogerman, Brawley, ButtaFusco, Babe Carimi, Jamon Browned, Jimmy Carpenter, ReynoldsWrap, Chester the Molester, Assamoi, Missing Person, VeeTek, Shun Harlow, Swipester, James Stoned, Ryan Shredded, Sombrero, Fake Rodgers and ThruBlood.

LOL...all your nicknames in one post.  Well done.

But to be fair: Ryan Schroeder was a top 10 OT.  Chester was good for us. Schweister, Ty & Person are doing really well this year on different teams

3 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

No doubt those two appear to be keepers. Add Hennessy keep Jake around and the OL should be set for yrs to come. I just don’t understand why TD didn’t make this a priority or let’s say do a better job in this area a long time ago. TD just sucked at finding OLs and pass rushers.

I hope if we pick in the top of the draft we get another offensive linemen. It feels great having a competent O-line. My dream scenario is we get the LT from Oregon and move Jake to LG or move the Oregon LT to LG. We would be set for yearrrss

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't remember most of this list, but these names are hilarious, so props for making me lol while I'm working!

51 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

At the time it made sense because offensive line was a huge flaw in our offense

Not to mention we lacked serious depth on the oline being down to third string Guards in 2018.

TD and the front office tried to keep that from happening again.

The plan was solid but the results were not 

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not to mention we lacked serious depth on the oline being down to third string Guards in 2018.

TD and the front office tried to keep that from happening again.

The plan was solid but the results were not 

Good point. It was clear they Falcons also had heavy interest in Christain Wilkins who got drafted by Miami right before us. If we picked up Wilkins and McGary however, we'd still be talking about how bad our O-line is.  In the end, I'm happy that we got the right side of our line for the next few years locked in. Cool seeing them build chemistry the more they play next to each other.

16 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

LOL...all your nicknames in one post.  Well done.

But to be fair: Ryan Schroeder was a top 10 OT.  Chester was good for us. Schweister, Ty & Person are doing really well this year on different teams

Garland started for the 9'ers last year too I believe. Coaching has been an issue for our lines for a while.

18 hours ago, Jesus said:

so you're going to ignore the litany of failed OL picks? I'm a TD fan but come on..

5 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

so you're going to ignore the litany of failed OL picks? I'm a TD fan but come on..

Sam baker was solid in 2012 and his injury derailed it. Peter konz was the number one center prospect in the draft. He didn't pan out and it happens. Not sure if chester the molester is chris chester but if so, he was a big part of the falcons offensive success in 2016. Great run blocker and helped schraeder be a good right tackle during those years.

Some of the guys like stone are udfa or late round picks. TD did have some early misses with olinemen but once again that happens. I think a lot of falcons fans are in a bubble and don't realize how many picks don't pan out for other gms. There is a reason the average nfl life span is like 3 years. The game is physical and some guys show it in college but it doesn't translate to the NFL