Speculation: Maybe TD was holding on to draft picks to not admit he was wrong

So, we all mostly thought it was crazy to renew Beasley's 5th year option -- but the Falcons did it anyway. Maybe that was due to TD wanting to "be right" about the pick he made?

Now, we see Takk actually released. Maybe that should've been done a while ago, but TD wouldn't consider it because he wanted to "be right" about his draft pick?

And if so ... that kind of bu11sht can sap a team of energy and drive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the thread is mostly about in-house decisions and picks... One of TDs mistakes has been overpaying to keep some of the kids that should have walked. Freeman was a 50/50 only because RBs ten

TD wasn’t the problem. It was Quinn who convinced organization to keep VB. 

TD isn't innocent but why does everyone continuously discount the influence DQ had on the roster? Definitely Beasly and possibly Takk were 100% DQ guys. It's been reported before that bringing Beasly

20 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

So, we all mostly thought it was crazy to renew Beasley's 5th year option -- but the Falcons did it anyway. Maybe that was due to TD wanting to "be right" about the pick he made?

Now, we see Takk actually released. Maybe that should've been done a while ago, but TD wouldn't consider it because he wanted to "be right" about his draft pick?

It did

14 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Maybe if we had better coaching decisions between the lines we have a couple SB’s on teams that TD and co built.

How longs a piece of string.

Maybe if I’d made that 6 ft putt Saturday I’d shot 69. 

Maybe if TD would have found a pass rush, defense and OL the falcons and two future HOFs would have multiple Super Bowls. He could not add the final pieces with three decades of being the HMFWIC. 

Dude how many times do you have to be told...yeah coaching was part of the problem, but if a GM can’t find a pass rush in 13 yrs or a top tier defense and OL from 2008 til now who do you think gets most of the blame? The GM. A couple of decent OLs in 13 yrs and how many top 10- 15 defenses during this time. 

I’ve told you once and I’ll tell you again...TROFFED!!! Here’s your sign. 
You’re spiky hair bike rider could not get it done. 

52 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Also Devonta Freeman. Never should have given him that big contract. It was obvious he wasn't going to get any better.

28 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

TD did some great things but he did some not so great things. The bottom line is uncle Author fired his butt because the best TD could do was dangle a freaking carrot in front of a rabbit. 

Get over it.....Sayonara TD

If the coaches had done the job between the lines maybe it’s different.

Let me guess go back to pre TD live in those years you can have that ****e.

I get it live with no expectations that’s about all any other Falcon GM delivered hey but if average is you eat it up.

5 minutes ago, papachaz said:

where does it start and where does it end? the piece of string I mean

I think we know where it ends.

You’ve been around long enough you would have seen the lean years of this  franchise.

For me when talking TD the previous 40 plus years aren’t taken into account so opinions on him can be slanted.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think we know where it ends.

You’ve been around long enough you would have seen the lean years of this  franchise.

For me when talking TD the previous 40 plus years aren’t taken into account so opinions on him can be slanted.

;):tiphat:

exactly. this was said somewhere a few days or so back, but those that weren't here for the smiths, just don't realize how bad things were before hand. 

I mean this teams history, includes hiring Marion Campbell as head coach. not once but TWICE.....they really have no clue

TD isn't innocent but why does everyone continuously discount the influence DQ had on the roster? Definitely Beasly and possibly Takk were 100% DQ guys. It's been reported before that bringing Beasly back was DQ's ego driven choice. Looking at the talent on the roster a lot of it is homegrown all drafted by TD. 

13 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Probably accurate that TD wasn’t gonna give up on high draft picks in hopes they got it together, same could be said for almost every GM.  BUT he did learn his lesson and not take the 5th year option on Takk.  

All in all no GM is gonna hit on every pick and I have a feeling that we’ll look back and think TD did a pretty decent job.  Went to a SB that we should have won and an NFCCG, should have won that one and the SB that year too IMO .  

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

That is how DQ explained it, that's true. Maybe behind closed doors he knew he didn't have a choice, so he put the best possible spin on it and tried to make it work.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

C

15 hours ago, papachaz said:

;):tiphat:

exactly. this was said somewhere a few days or so back, but those that weren't here for the smiths, just don't realize how bad things were before hand. 

I mean this teams history, includes hiring Marion Campbell as head coach. not once but TWICE.....they really have no clue

The current Falcons also hired Dirk Koetter twice.  Yes, I know he's not Marion Campbell bad but still shows a lack of learning.

1 hour ago, opensource001 said:

C

The current Falcons also hired Dirk Koetter twice.  Yes, I know he's not Marion Campbell bad but still shows a lack of learning.

my only rebuttal to that is, we had the same GM when that happened, and the second time was the HC who supposedly had complete control over personnel, both staff and roster. the owner doesn't hire an OC, the coach does. the owner DID however hire that pitiful excuse of a HC twice