Falcons Would Get Two 3rd Round Pick If Morris Becomes HC

• FalconsIn2012 changed the title to Falcons Would Get Two 3rd Round Pick If Morris Becomes HC
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems kind of silly to say you groom a guy to be someone else's HC and you get a 3rd round pick, but if you actually promote the guy yourself you get nothing. I mean, I guess it keeps teams from

Next years Patriots coaches and front office team picture will look like this

Shouldn't be a problem at all, but mfs like Gase Adams will get a HC Job first.

Posted Images

Seems kind of silly to say you groom a guy to be someone else's HC and you get a 3rd round pick, but if you actually promote the guy yourself you get nothing.

I mean, I guess it keeps teams from promoting from within to stockpile picks, but I'm not sure many teams are going to make bad coaching hires in order to get a couple of late 3rds, so it seems to me if you assume teams are going to act in the team's best interest in hiring coaches (which are way more important than 3rd round draft picks, especially ones that are essentially 4ths anyway), then it would seem the incentive would be neutral whether you hire him from your own ranks or he gets promoted outside the organization.  The idea is to encourage teams to groom minority candidates, right?

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Seems kind of silly to say you groom a guy to be someone else's HC and you get a 3rd round pick, but if you actually promote the guy yourself you get nothing.

I mean, I guess it keeps teams from promoting from within to stockpile picks, but I'm not sure many teams are going to make bad coaching hires in order to get a couple of late 3rds, so it seems to me if you assume teams are going to act in the team's best interest in hiring coaches (which are way more important than 3rd round draft picks, especially ones that are essentially 4ths anyway), then it would seem the incentive would be neutral whether you hire him from your own ranks or he gets promoted outside the organization.  The idea is to encourage teams to groom minority candidates, right?

Too much of a conflict of interest there. A failing franchise could easily fire these HCs mid season and appoint a new one. Optics would be really bad.

Just now, Falcanuck said:

Too much of a conflict of interest there. A failing franchise could easily fire these HCs mid season and appoint a new one. Optics would be really bad.

Teams that do that would find quickly that head coaches are far more important to success than late 3rd rounders though.

41 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

If Morris continues to show well I want the Falcons to hire him. But them not getting a 3rd round pick would sick.

We groomed him and hired us.  Give us two picks and two more for Riddick as GM if they passed the old resolution.  That gives us 4 additional 3rd round picks in 2021 & 2022

52 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Back to the topic but I’ve always disliked the Rooney rule. You look back at when we interviewed Armstrong—our special teams coordinator—to abide by the Rooney rule so we could hire Quinn.

This rule is legit though as it’s about developing talented coaches who then move on. Hope it stays.

I am very curious to see what Keith Armstrong could do as Falcons head coach. But the Falcons interviewed Teryl Austin that year so that wouldn't have been the reason.

32 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Wow, interesting dynamic. Hope a bidding war happens for Morris then.

Crazy Ive not even thought of him with any other team, but... maybe. Going in to season the only reason i had any confidence in team was his presence on staff.

Morris has been the interim HC for a total of 4 games : 

Vikings 

Lions 

Panthers

Broncos (all below average to bad teams)

remaining 7 games:

Saints

Raiders

Saints

Chargers

Bucs

Chiefs

Bucs

Let's see Falcons go 4-3 (or better) down that stretch before we start talking like Raheem is a commodity in demand by others (much less Atlanta).