Chris Berman Just Said “Radio” Raheem Morris

FalconsIn2012

I wouldn't actually say it's a dig though.

Many people think "Radio" from Radio Raheem means the Cuba Gooding Jr character in the movie Radio. Actually it's a nickname derived from the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing" character played by the late actor Bill Nunn "Radio Raheem"

8e1051eebfc05e0b65b6507e74f124c9.jpg

Although calling Morris "Radio" the special needs character is pretty messed up, but I'll admit I do get a laugh out of it lol.

5 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I wouldn't actually say it's dig though.

Many people think "Radio" from Radio Raheem means the Cuba Gooding Jr character in the movie Radio. Actually it's a nickname derived from the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing" character played by the late acter Bill Nunn "Radio Raheem"

Although calling Morris "Radio" the special needs character is pretty messed up, but I'll admit I do get a laugh out of it lol.

Just had to go and ruin it for me!!

Just now, Bquinn_11 said:

Just had to go and ruin it for me!!

Sorry didn't mean to be that guy.

Just pointing out that the origin of the nickname wasn't meant for calling Raheem Morris retarted. It just happened to go that way because we Falcon fans are mean people lol

13 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Sorry didn't mean to be that guy.

Just pointing out that the origin of the nickname wasn't meant for calling Raheem Morris retarted. It just happened to go that way because we Falcon fans are mean people lol

I heard Berman say it and lol’d. My wife looked at me like I’m stupid. Had to explain it to her. Then I logged in to see if anyone else heard it. And here we are...lookin stupid. 

This thread will be our little secret. 

Thanks for sharing the real reason behind the name tho. We aren’t mean, misery loves company!!

33 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Many people think "Radio" from Radio Raheem means the Cuba Gooding Jr character in the movie Radio. Actually it's a nickname derived from the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing" character played by the late acter Bill Nunn "Radio Raheem"

8e1051eebfc05e0b65b6507e74f124c9.jpgThis

This,

I was first to call him Radio Raheem, lol.

56 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I didn’t know his name was Radio Raheem.  Thanks for the education

2 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah I hate when people associate that nickname with Cuba's character. Especially when he's really named after the cult icon Radio Raheem.

9 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Yeah I hate when people associate that nickname with Cuba's character. Especially when he's really named after the cult icon Radio Raheem.

Yep, Radio Raheem literally died over his radio.

Oddly enough, Raheem Morris is dying trying to keep his.

So, back in the days when Rival Central was a good place to be on this site, many of the Bucs fans called him Radio (referring to the Cuba Gooding character) and probably knowing somewhere in their memory bank that the name Radio was somehow related to the name Radio Raheem.

It was funny then because the movie Radio was so much more recent and their references were certainly with that in mind.  Raheem was such a young coach back then as often came across as being in over his head.  The Bucs fans never called him Radio Raheem though, to them, he was Radio.

Radio Raheem is a totally different character, a dude who has his own peace in the middle of a set of extraordinary events, who just requests some extra moozarella and the world tags him for the spotlight... in many ways, the name carries respect.  Coach Morris probably laughs at the reference then gets back to finding some way to get somebody to do their job.

3 hours ago, RetroRoq said:

So, back in the days when Rival Central was a good place to be on this site, many of the Bucs fans called him Radio (referring to the Cuba Gooding character) and probably knowing somewhere in their memory bank that the name Radio was somehow related to the name Radio Raheem.

It was funny then because the movie Radio was so much more recent and their references were certainly with that in mind.  Raheem was such a young coach back then as often came across as being in over his head.  The Bucs fans never called him Radio Raheem though, to them, he was Radio.

Radio Raheem is a totally different character, a dude who has his own peace in the middle of a set of extraordinary events, who just requests some extra moozarella and the world tags him for the spotlight... in many ways, the name carries respect.  Coach Morris probably laughs at the reference then gets back to finding some way to get somebody to do their job.

Bucs fans definitely called him Radio as an insult. Most were not happy with him replacing Jon Gruden. 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:00 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

"Do the Right Thing"

Outstanding pull from the archives, Don.  I totally forgot about him.  

I understand why Tampa referred to him as the Cuba character.  But i dont get why he still gets the same level of hate here.  I find the Cuba Radio character comparison disrespectful to Raheem Morris.  What has he done to deserve this here?  All he has done is take over and won games and took over last year and won games.  

21 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

I'm really glad to hear that we haven't been making fun of a disabled person this whole time. I thought it was and I was hoping it would just go away. 

It would look really, really bad on us as a fan base if it got out that we openly mock special needs people.

Unfortunately I think people are mocking and making fun the whole time...