What should we do differently on defense to prevent other teams from coming back on us in the future?

We dodged a bullet yesterday. But as fans we SHOULD be able to relax with a 34-13 lead with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Our defense held teams like Chicago and Denver to 13 points until late in the 4th quarter than they let them go on a touchdown scoring spree.

What do you think our defense should do differently to prevent teams from coming back like that? Do you think that they need to blitz more? Send the house? I know the offense didn't do them any favors at the end. But they did score 34 points. What do you think needs to be done on defense to prevent these large comebacks?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We need some type of mojo for sure on defense but, we also need our offense to not go 3 and out once we get a 2 possession lead.  To many 3 runs and punt the ball away.  Its not all on the offense but

I think yesterday was more on offense than the defense. Yes we need them to make plays but they were on the field a ton especially the end of the third and the majority of the 4th qt. You churn o

Easy fix to this-   Fire Dirk Koetter, hire a decent offensive coordinator.

I think yesterday was more on offense than the defense. Yes we need them to make plays but they were on the field a ton especially the end of the third and the majority of the 4th qt.

You churn out 20 minutes of TOP in the first half and then it seems we just flipped the script on how we wanted to attack in the 2nd half.

I wish we would do away with single back formation. We can’t run out of it. We run the rock the best with Smith in at full back. You get Todd Gurley to the LOS without being hit yet and his power, just like it did for his TD run, is going to get you 3 or more yards each play and we refuse to go I formation.

DK rather have Stocker out there for some reason blocking instead of Smith and it’s just not working. It seems we net too many negative runs out of single back in situations we need to get something positive just to keep the train rolling.

1 minute ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Agreed. It would also help if Koetter could build a run game around the talent that he has. 

It shouldn't be hard. It's obvious that Gurley isn't the guy he used to be. The last few weeks have shown he doesn't cut well and doesn't always fight through tackles. Maybe it's his knee. He's got a week off to let it rest. 

But Ollison and Hill should be able to handle the load. They were bot available. 

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

It’s called a pass rush....non existent for the Falcons during the past 13 yrs. Find a top tier RB and maybe a rangy safety.....case closed

Considering they had both starting DEs out yesterday the pass rush wasn't too bad. The patchwork Dline held together long enough to avoid a loss.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Play offense.

Run the ball three downs, consume 2-3 minutes of clock. Repeat. 

Yep.  Boneheaded offensive calls and execution left at least four minutes on the clock.  The Falcons offense gave Denver about 10 extra snaps in the final five minutes.  Ridiculous.  That game should have been 34-20. 

Look at the final minute.  A sloppy mistake in formation stopped the clock with 53 seconds left.  Without that, we punt with about 12 seconds left and Denver gets maybe one play, if they’re lucky. 

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Play offense.

Run the ball three downs, consume 2-3 minutes of clock. Repeat. 

This plus continue to get after it on defense.  Anyone watching that could see the arm tackling and general lack play.  This is a lazy bunch on this team.  I’ve seen it happen from MR and JJ rt on down (only exception I’ve noted was Grady J).  Do we not notice how MR and JJ have been balling since DQ got axed and esp since AB put even MR on notice.  This bunch is lazy top to bottom and that to me is the culture issue.  The only way this team wins consistently is a hard *** coach who is willing to keep his foot inserted in their rectum 24/7!!!!  They can’t be allowed to “police themselves”, “treated like men” etc....I truly hope the new regime brings some real workers in here that understand and model the CONSISTENT effort required both in practice and on sundays!! So yeah pound them for 4 full qtrs (our players).  RM needs to be up and down that bench reminding these cats to ball out until 0:00.  Sadly you’d think the vets on this team would have learned that from LI.  

2 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

This plus continue to get after it on defense.  Anyone watching that could see the arm tackling and general lack play.  This is a lazy bunch on this team.  I’ve seen it happen from MR and JJ rt on down (only exception I’ve noted was Grady J).  Do we not notice how MR and JJ have been balling since DQ got axed and esp since AB put even MR on notice.  This bunch is lazy top to bottom and that to me is the culture issue.  The only way this team wins consistently is a hard *** coach who is willing to keep his foot inserted in their rectum 24/7!!!!  They can’t be allowed to “police themselves”, “treated like men” etc....I truly hope the new regime brings some real workers in here that understand and model the CONSISTENT effort required both in practice and on sundays!! So yeah pound them for 4 full qtrs (our players).  RM needs to be up and down that bench reminding these cats to ball out until 0:00.  Sadly you’d think the vets on this team would have learned that from LI.  

... maybe tone down the abbreviations, bud.

defense is getting better each week, but like it's been said. The offense is NOT GOOD when they play conservative ball. The run game isn't working at all.

I'm starting to think that hill should be the starter over gurley as well. There is just more explosive play potential with him. 

No more passes should be thrown to Hill though.

You know how many years in a row the Falcons have been doing this? We were barely hanging onto games or blowing leads even before Dan Quinn became the Falcons head coach. It goes further back. Being up 27-7 at home vs the Broncos in 2012 after picking off Payton Manning many times, the Broncos came back on us to make it a 6 point game but we still hung on 27-21. We were up on the Seahawks in the Division Round playoffs 20-0, we lost the lead and we were down by 1 point 28-27 before surviving 30-28. That debacle against the Lions in London in 2014 when we were up and also blew that lead as well. 

In 2016, the Falcons blew a 17 point lead at home to a horrible Chargers team, we were up 27-10 I think and we ended up losing in overtime 33-30. In 2016, with a first round bye on the line, we were up on the Saints 38-19 in the 4th quarter (I was at that game), and the Saints quickly came back and made it a 6 point game but we still hung on 38-32. We blew a 17-0 lead at home to Jay Cutler against the Dolphins in 2017, lost that game 20-17. But seriously, this goes on and on. 

Maybe it's the fact that the Falcons have been very poor with drafting defensive guys over the years. Maybe it's the offensive lines being mediocre in failure to run out the clock in the 4th quarter, maybe it's because Matt Ryan can't seem to close out games when it matters most unlike Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson? IDK what it is honestly, but it's an ongoing pattern with the Falcons for YEARS. Not just now. 

Edited by mqg96
15 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

You know how many years in a row the Falcons have been doing this? We were barely hanging onto games or blowing leads even before Dan Quinn became the Falcons head coach. It goes further back. Being up 27-7 at home vs the Broncos in 2012 after picking off Payton Manning many times, the Broncos came back on us to make it a 6 point game but we still hung on 27-21. We were up on the Seahawks in the Division Round playoffs 20-0, we lost the lead and we were down by 1 point 28-27 before surviving 30-28. That debacle against the Lions in London in 2014 when we were up and also blew that lead as well. 

In 2016, the Falcons blew a 17 point lead at home to a horrible Chargers team, we were up 27-10 I think and we ended up losing in overtime 33-30. In 2016, with a first round bye on the line, we were up on the Saints 38-19 in the 4th quarter (I was at that game), and the Saints quickly came back and made it a 6 point game but we still hung on 38-32. We blew a 17-0 lead at home to Jay Cutler against the Dolphins in 2017, lost that game 20-17. But seriously, this goes on and on. 

Maybe it's the fact that the Falcons have been very poor with drafting defensive guys over the years. Maybe it's the offensive lines being mediocre in failure to run out the clock in the 4th quarter, maybe it's because Matt Ryan can't seem to close out games when it matters most unlike Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson? IDK what it is honestly, but it's an ongoing pattern with the Falcons for YEARS. Not just now. 

Yeah. It started when Michael Turner started to decline a bit from being a work horse.