Super Bowl 33. Were the Broncos really the better team or did the Falcons just lay an egg because of Eugene Robinson distraction?

I've watched super bowl 33 several times and I personally believe the Broncos won the game because of their defense was very good. The Falcons defense played okay overall in my opinion but the Falcons offense turned the ball over 4 times and couldn't score in the red zone.

I think that the Broncos defense was a lot better than the Vikings defense we played in the 1998 NFC championship game and that was the difference. I think the Broncos were just the better team and more experienced team. 

I do think however we would have had a much better chance to win if the game was in a dome setting. Your thoughts?

23 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

It's because both Dan Reeves and the Falcons are cursed.

Broncos were really good that year, but I think the Vikings would've taken it to them had they not gotten upset by the Falcons.

I doubt it. The Vikings are even more cursed than we are. 

7 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I doubt it. The Vikings are even more cursed than we are. 

6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Vikings are more cursed than the Falcons. It may have been a closer super bowl but Minnesota would have found a way to lose.

That's very possible, but I also think that the Vikings took the Falcons very lightly and was already looking past them to the SB.

Vikings wouldn't have done the same with the Broncos.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I've watched super bowl 33 several times and I personally believe the Broncos won the game because of their defense was very good. The Falcons defense played okay overall in my opinion but the Falcons offense turned the ball over 4 times and couldn't score in the red zone.

I think that the Broncos defense was a lot better than the Vikings defense we played in the 1998 NFC championship game and that was the difference. I think the Broncos were just the better team and more experienced team. 

I do think however we would have had a much better chance to win if the game was in a dome setting. Your thoughts?

The Falcons had their chance in the first half to put their stamp on the SB.  Unfortunately they suffered from a Koetter-esque offense once they got in FG range:

• 1st Drive: FG from Denver 8 yd line
  • 2nd Drive: stuffed on 3rd & inches
  • 3rd Drive: intercept Elway and take over at Denver 35 yd line.  Get stuffed on 4th & 1 at Denver 25 yd line
  • 4th Drive:  missed FG from Denver 8 yd line
  • 5th Drive: FG from Denver 11 yd line
  • 6th, 7th & 8th Drive: INTERCEPTIONS.  Game Over

There are no curses.

One story is that Dan Reeves like to let his guys enjoy super bowl week. So there were no curfews. That's why Eugene was out there when he should have been in bed getting a good night sleep.

The Falcons offense ran through Jam but by that point in the season he has well over 500 carries. He had an okay game but Reeves didn't lean on him enough. Also, as the team found out the next season, they needed a solid back up for him.

The defense was good but filled with late career vets who did not have the speed to keep up with the Broncos offense.

I think they were evenly matched. People don't really appreciate the impact the Eugene Robinson thing had, it wasn't just a "distraction". Dan Reeves and Chris Chandler (and I think Jesse Tuggle) went to go bail him out of jail at like 3am the night right before the game. All three guys had some of their worst games of the entire season during the SB. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

That's very possible, but I also think that the Vikings took the Falcons very lightly and was already looking past them to the SB.

Vikings wouldn't have done the same with the Broncos.

This...Ray Buchanan said in an interview that what really fueled the Falcons was the disrespect before the NFCCG against The Vikings. Already calling the Vikings NFC champs in the Minnesota papers and Vikings players coming over talking **** during player warm-ups. That drives a team. Just like all the odds were against the Broncos in SB 50. They said the Panthers came to look cute while the Broncos came to win. 

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr
7 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

This...Ray Buchanan said in an interview that what really fueled the Falcons was the disrespect before the NFCCG against The Vikings. Already calling the Vikings NFC champs in the Minnesota papers and Vikings players coming over talking **** during player warm-ups. That drives a team. Just like all the odds were against the Broncos in SB 50. They said the Panthers came to look cute while the Broncos came to win. 

Yea, they probably overlooked us a little bit, but regardless, you don't beat the 49ers and Vikings of 1998 in back to back weeks without being a fantastic football team, which is what the 98 Falcons were. Had they pulled out the win against Denver it would have probably been the greatest Super Bowl run in the history of the league. Every one of those teams was championship caliber. 

It's a shame we never got to see how the team would have performed against Denver without the Eugene thing, which had a massive impact on the game. 

Best all around team in franchise history, hands down IMO. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
8 hours ago, Jesus said:

There are no curses.

One story is that Dan Reeves like to let his guys enjoy super bowl week. So there were no curfews. That's why Eugene was out there when he should have been in bed getting a good night sleep.

The Falcons offense ran through Jam but by that point in the season he has well over 500 carries. He had an okay game but Reeves didn't lean on him enough. Also, as the team found out the next season, they needed a solid back up for him.

The defense was good but filled with late career vets who did not have the speed to keep up with the Broncos offense.

Dan Reeves is one of the unluckiest HCs in football history.

He's one of the most winningest HCs in NFL history but always fell short in the biggest game possible. Reeves is 0-4 in the SB. He couldn't win any of the 3 SBs in 4 years with a prime Elway. Elway was able to win 2 SBs as an old man with Mike Shanahan.

If Reeves would've won at least 1 of those 4 SB appearances, he'd be in the HOF already.

53 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

that game had nothing to do with eugene

the broncs were better

I agree with most everybody else that I've read so far. The Broncos were the better team, but the Eugene Robinson stunt did serve as a major distraction for the Falcons. They clearly didn't have it together as you watched them on the sidelines pre-game and they played very lackluster and unfocused, as evidenced by the multiple turnovers.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:39 AM, Atl Falcon said:

Broncos were the best team. Falcons pulled off major upset vs. Vikings to get there. Eugene Robinson got arrested for soliciting sex the night before the SB didn’t help team morale. He was supposed to be  an outstanding high character person and shocked the world and his team.

Teams that have major pregame distractions like Robinson's tend not to do well in the Super Bowl.   The Bengals when they played the 49ers, and the Raiders against the Bucs, both has player issues right before the big game.... and lost.

The Falcons were not used to 'playoff pressure'.  The Broncos were defending Super Bowl champions, I believe....

Edited by egoprime II

They were def distracted by the Eugene Robinson situation. Players up and not getting rest like they should because of his incarceration. And the fact that players snook out of curfew to be out in the first place. The falcons could beat ANYBODY that year. They beat the beat team in the nfl that year to me in Minnesota. Denver didn’t have an offense like that. We turned the ball over in that SB and dug a deep hole and couldn’t come out of it. 

My memories of this game were, yes the Broncos were the better team, and the Dirty Birds got away from what got them there. I recall they did not try to establish the run which carried them to the playoffs in the first place. After winning the NFCCG by throwing the ball ,they decided to try the same in the Superbowl. It. Did. Not. Work. Was there distraction? Yes. Were they out matched? Yes.

Did they play football a complete game? No.

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

There are no curses.

Are you sure? To this day, I blame 80% of our Falcon woes on AB's cheap *** stealing the Blair Witch's newspaper.