“We Sold Out And Won Three Super Bowls” ~ Bill Belichick

Bill Belichick has sold out

Bill Belichick is a total sellout.

That may be the click-baitiest headline I’ve ever written. But technically, it’s true.

During his weekly interview on WEEI this morning, Bill Belichick said what may be the most un-Belichickian thing that has ever come out of his mouth when asked about the team’s recent struggles:

“Look, we paid Cam Newton $1 million. It’s obvious we didn’t have any money. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s what we did the last five years. We sold out and won three Super Bowls, played in a fourth, and played in an AFC ChampionshipGame. This year we had less to work with. It’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact.”

I think by “less to work with,” Belichick was referring to the amount of money they had to spend as opposed to the talent level of the players...but they’re kind of the same.

The interview is brand new, so I haven’t had the opportunity to make sure 2020 sucks even more for me than it already does by checking out how the usual suspects are reacting to it, but I would imagine we’re going to get all of the following takes over the coming days:

• Now that Brady is gone, Belichick is full of excuses
  • Belichick has doomed this franchise for the rest of eternity
  • Belichick’s arrogance has finally caught up with him
  • We all knew Belichick couldn’t draft; now we finally have proof

And if folks want to go that route, I say have at it; you’ve been waiting for literally two decades to get to this point, and I wouldn’t want to deprive you of your moment. If you want to lambaste Belichick for being stuck into a down year on the heels of three Super Bowls in five years and act like he’s making bad excuses and being uncharacteristically whiny, I’m not going to stop you. It will feel great, and probably get you way more clicks than this article.

18 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Well we sold out and got ****. So, so much for that strat.

We got so close and touched it. We couldn’t deliver when the time came. Unfortunately when you go “all in”, you better get a SB out of it or you screwed a franchise for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, slider said:

He won consistently for 20 years! 

Yup. He even stated that in the interview. 

All the talking heads in Boston are jumpin on this hard...the years of a combo of Gronk, Brady, Amendola, Edelman, so on and so forth is years ago.

Billy boy is making excuses for his crap team....he has been a poor draft evaluator for a decade, and has relied on Brady and good middle road FA's to be regularly competitive. He was banking on the idea his genius would propel their garbage QB room to success.

21 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

I don’t think we sold out. We didn’t spend big on defense. That’s where the Patriots spend big and it paid off for them. We spent big on offense but ignored the defensive side of the ball. 

Agreed. They were more balanced on both sides of the ball, we were so lopsided favoring offense that eventually it bit us in the end.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Bill Belichick has sold out

Bill Belichick is a total sellout.

That may be the click-baitiest headline I’ve ever written. But technically, it’s true.

During his weekly interview on WEEI this morning, Bill Belichick said what may be the most un-Belichickian thing that has ever come out of his mouth when asked about the team’s recent struggles:

“Look, we paid Cam Newton $1 million. It’s obvious we didn’t have any money. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s what we did the last five years. We sold out and won three Super Bowls, played in a fourth, and played in an AFC ChampionshipGame. This year we had less to work with. It’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact.”

I think by “less to work with,” Belichick was referring to the amount of money they had to spend as opposed to the talent level of the players...but they’re kind of the same.

The interview is brand new, so I haven’t had the opportunity to make sure 2020 sucks even more for me than it already does by checking out how the usual suspects are reacting to it, but I would imagine we’re going to get all of the following takes over the coming days:

• Now that Brady is gone, Belichick is full of excuses
  • Belichick has doomed this franchise for the rest of eternity
  • Belichick’s arrogance has finally caught up with him
  • We all knew Belichick couldn’t draft; now we finally have proof

And if folks want to go that route, I say have at it; you’ve been waiting for literally two decades to get to this point, and I wouldn’t want to deprive you of your moment. If you want to lambaste Belichick for being stuck into a down year on the heels of three Super Bowls in five years and act like he’s making bad excuses and being uncharacteristically whiny, I’m not going to stop you. It will feel great, and probably get you way more clicks than this article.

He should come to the ATL 

9 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The big key for the Pats for so many years was that they had an elite QB at mid-range salary - Brady had plenty of money from his spouse and did not need to be paid like so many other good QBs on teams like ourselves.

This is exactly correct. 

Want a winning roster? Then, get a young QB playing at an elite level on his rookie contract OR have Tom Brady play for $15 million when every other upper echelon QB gets $30 million.

10 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The big key for the Pats for so many years was that they had an elite QB at mid-range salary - Brady had plenty of money from his spouse and did not need to be paid like so many other good QBs on teams like ourselves.

Well, in theory maybe. But I think you are minimizing the genius of Belichick. the real key was him knowing what to do with whatever extra cap space that created. TD was always able to find cap space, but what he did with it (Carp/Brown/Ty, Fowler, Bailey, picking up Beasley’s 5th year)at times was baffling. And that’s not unique to ATL, there’s examples like this for every team.

Belichick + Brady together were the keys to pat’s success.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Well, in theory maybe. But I think you are minimizing the genius of Belichick. the real key was him knowing what to do with whatever extra cap space that created. TD was always able to find cap space, but what he did with it (Carp/Brown/Ty, Fowler, Bailey, picking up Beasley’s 5th year)at times was baffling. And that’s not unique to ATL, there’s examples like this for every team.

Belichick + Brady together were the keys to pat’s success.

Yeah, Belichick isn't some wizard that does things nobody else can, but when you have a top 3 GM, HC, and QB all at once for 20 years straight it's bound to come to good things.