Cocktail Party 2020 - #8 Florida vs #5 Georgia

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I think it is only a part of it. The offense being a joke didn’t just happen this week. 

No, you’re right.. a couple of kids who were highly touted and believed their own hype, then felt entitled, helped put us in this position.. 

Beck needs to keep his head straight as does JT.. Brock on the horizon.. he who proves himself will win.. 

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do I even like football? 

This is SoFL’s take on JT, take it fwiw... which is usually accurate.   

They had multiple players throwing punches with no suspension.  Mullen gets the same fine as Kiffen fir retweeting something.  SEC offices are weak af

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jeffro2000 said:

Beck or Daniels should start going forward because you got to start preparing for next season at this point.

Isn't Clemson game 1 next year?  We need someone with some experience to start that game if possible. I know JT may be looking to transfer, too early with Beck right now, and BVG is maybe the future but give Beck or Daniels a chance right now.

Both guys are talented enough and with experience and the right coaching should be able to win at UGA. Starting to really question our offensive coaching/philosophy though and not necessarily Monken.

Why not Mathis?

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

No, you’re right.. a couple of kids who were highly touted and believed their own hype, then felt entitled, helped put us in this position.. 

Beck needs to keep his head straight as does JT.. Brock on the horizon.. he who proves himself will win.. 

I get what you’re saying and you have a legitimate point, but there’s a fine line between a reason and an excuse here. Ultimately Kirby puts this team together and he gets the heat when things go poorly. Ultimately Kirby has to show those guys they aren’t wasting their time by sticking around and competing. Since it’s well known by this point that he told Bennett he probably wouldn’t play this year but he’s been our best option and started all but one game, I’m not sure Kirby really has a grasp on how to manage the QB position.

What happened with Fields and Newman can be discussed at length. I don’t think we need to revisit all of that. There were certainly outside influences there. That really doesn’t excuse our QB situation this year and us once again being in the position of looking toward next season. We are looking ahead again for another hyped up QB recruit coming in to make the team a legit contender. Kirby deserves all the heat he gets for this. Hopefully he learns from it and does better before we’re a decade in and still saying maybe next year. 

This is SoFL’s take on JT, take it fwiw... which is usually accurate. 

What I believe to be true is that JT isn’t healthy. When he was “cleared” AU week, the inner circle here had a good laugh because he could barely walk without a limp. It was 100% gamesmanship by Kirby to keep AU off balanced. So Kirby has had to stick with the he’s cleared message. JT had that knee looked at again at the end of the bye week. More reps in practice and there was discomfort.

Finally, just for S&G, let’s assume he is cleared and nothing is wrong with the knee. Why would a guy getting scout reps behind what we’ve seen at QB these last few weeks even enter our thought process? You don’t go from scout, to QB1, lightning up our biggest SEC rival. That’s a fairy tale. JT is hurt. He is not playing so poorly that he can’t elevate himself off of scout. He knows that playbook inside-out. He would give us the best chance to win, but he’s on scout. Because he is hurt. No grand conspiracy at play, just hurt.

Look I'm not trashing the entire team and I shouldn't trash the entire offense. It seems obvious that the only big problem we have is at QB. But that is a make or break position and we are 2 years running with bad QB play and no real option behind the starter. Perhaps it's just freaky bad luck that Fields, Fromm, Newman all left early, Mathis got a life threatening cyst on his brain, Daniels knee has not healed as expected and Beck just hasn't shown up. Leaving our best option to be a 5'10 (at most) former walk on. That's a whole lot of bad luck. QB and WR development has left a lot to be desired, but I would argue that the WRs look a lot better this year than what we saw a year ago with poor QB play.

I still think Monken was a great hire and Kirby should be commended for making that change when firing Coley carried so much weight. It was the right thing to do for this team. Now maybe this season was just a wash from the moment Newman opted out - and at the time that's honestly how I felt. I don't know. These performances against Bama and Florida have been just heartbreaking for me, watching this incredibly talented team get boat raced by teams we should absolutely be able to hang with and even beat. Vandagriff looks like he could dominate the QB competition from the moment he arrives on campus. I'm as irritated as anyone at saying maybe next year once again. 

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

Look I'm not trashing the entire team and I shouldn't trash the entire offense. It seems obvious that the only big problem we have is at QB. But that is a make or break position and we are 2 years running with bad QB play and no real option behind the starter. Perhaps it's just freaky bad luck that Fields, Fromm, Newman all left early, Mathis got a life threatening cyst on his brain, Daniels knee has not healed as expected and Beck just hasn't shown up. Leaving our best option to be a 5'10 (at most) former walk on. That's a whole lot of bad luck. QB and WR development has left a lot to be desired, but I would argue that the WRs look a lot better this year than what we saw a year ago with poor QB play.

I still think Monken was a great hire and Kirby should be commended for making that change when firing Coley carried so much weight. It was the right thing to do for this team. Now maybe this season was just a wash from the moment Newman opted out - and at the time that's honestly how I felt. I don't know. These performances against Bama and Florida have been just heartbreaking for me, watching this incredibly talented team get boat raced by teams we should absolutely be able to hang with and even beat. Vandagriff looks like he could dominate the QB competition from the moment he arrives on campus. I'm as irritated as anyone at saying maybe next year once again. 

Carter, 

The sad thing is it is every year for every franchise in Georgia.  It is even worse is I do not expect more.  I am 44 and I feel I will never physically see a championship.     

2 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Carter, 

The sad thing is it is every year for every franchise in Georgia.  It is even worse is I do not expect more.  I am 44 and I feel I will never physically see a championship.     

This constant disappointment is insane. I grew up watching the Braves in the 90s and early 2000s and playing baseball myself... and at some point they just broke me. I stopped watching baseball altogether and have never been able to get back into it. Hard to see that happening with the Dawgs, but I've already been watching less and less football every year. I'm pretty sure 28-3 broke me for NFL football... I hardly watch it anymore and firmly believe the Falcons will never win a Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Carter, 

Take care of your health man. 44 is young. My 86 year old Father an Alabama alum saw great success in the 60’s and 70’s followed by decades of disappointment in the 80’s, 90’s and the first 7 years of the Aughts save for the 1992 team. It will happen. 2009 felt like a lifetime of angst being washed away as a Bama fan. It actually felt unbelievable, like they’d never get back again after the two crippling probations and terrible coaching hires. UGA is closer than it may feel. 

10 hours ago, Carter said:

I get what you’re saying and you have a legitimate point, but there’s a fine line between a reason and an excuse here. Ultimately Kirby puts this team together and he gets the heat when things go poorly. Ultimately Kirby has to show those guys they aren’t wasting their time by sticking around and competing. Since it’s well known by this point that he told Bennett he probably wouldn’t play this year but he’s been our best option and started all but one game, I’m not sure Kirby really has a grasp on how to manage the QB position.

What happened with Fields and Newman can be discussed at length. I don’t think we need to revisit all of that. There were certainly outside influences there. That really doesn’t excuse our QB situation this year and us once again being in the position of looking toward next season. We are looking ahead again for another hyped up QB recruit coming in to make the team a legit contender. Kirby deserves all the heat he gets for this. Hopefully he learns from it and does better before we’re a decade in and still saying maybe next year. 

I think your next post highlighting bad luck is pretty spot on.. to have so many transfers because competition isn’t something some were expecting to have to do is certainly bad luck.. we kinda knew we would have a year or two to get back on track at that position after all that.. we were hoping Newman would be a stop gap, but once again.. 

wish some would just stop propping these kids up so much.. 

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

There was nothing funny about what I said.. but I wouldn’t expect much more from you. 

it's funny that you blame Justin Fields.    You are putting the blame in the wrong place.    The last 3 Heisman winners were QB transfers and Justin will make the 4th in a row.    Kirby bungled Justin's Freshman year - but somehow you blame Justin.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

it's funny that you blame Justin Fields.    You are putting the blame in the wrong place.    The last 3 Heisman winners were QB transfers and Justin will make the 4th in a row.    Kirby bungled Justin's Freshman year - but somehow you blame Justin.

Not gonna rehash this.. especially with you