Cocktail Party 2020 - #8 Florida vs #5 Georgia

Carter

If he said this with a straight face after the games we just watched (last week and this), I'm amazed

Smart was asked why he didn’t play JT Daniels, and if there was still an injury, concern with Daniels not cleared until after the first game of this season.

“Right now we feel like the other two give us a better shot, because they’ve gotten more of a body of work,” said Smart, who gives Bennett the reps with the ones and Mathis reps with the twos.

“I don’t think necessarily that he has anything with his knee, he doesn’t wear a knee brace, he takes reps with the scouts, he moves around and gives us a really good look,” he said. “I think he’s still growing and getting better in the offense, but obviously right now where we are we feel those guys give us the best shot.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/watch-kirby-smart-explains-georgia-qb-rotation-in-44-28-loss-to-florida

Georgia QB completions past 3 games: 36
Kyle Trask today: 30

Edited by HotLantaFalcon

11 minutes ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

If he said this with a straight face after the games we just watched (last week and this), I'm amazed

Wait! He moves around will the scouts and gives us very good looks but hes not good enough to play! Whatever! 

1 hour ago, mike teevee said:

I’ve heard the same outside of the bolded stuff. What I’ve heard is he understands he isn’t ready and he hasn’t had the best practices as a result. 

At this point none of that should matter! Bennett STINKS and Mathis is not ready! Should be either JT and Beck or Beck & JT! Anyone else should be 4th or 5th back up! Yes I know I skipped 3rd!

1 hour ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

I saw that, too.

My thing is, if he is getting all the scout team reps, how can he learn the offense?  Just makes no sense.  JT is the only QB capable of effectively running Monken’s playbook atm.  

how many of these bombs did we miss today?

In all honesty, I think Mathis has a lot of potential but needs a lot more snaps. COVID happening giving him less Spring practice, his brain surgery & everything, yet I still saw some good stuff he was doing outside of the couple interceptions. Dwan Mathis and Kendall Milton together gives Georgia the best chance to win in the future if they get a lot of experience the next 2 years. Mathis just hasn't had much playing time or experience which is why he looks worse than he really is. If Mathis works on the timing of the balls, he could be really special. Bennett with the most playing time of any QB has peaked, and his honeymoon ended since the 2nd half against Bama. 

Edited by mqg96

12 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Bama, 

I hear you.  Please look from an all Georgia fan.  Since our last National championship.  Alabama has had 6.  Everything else we have suffered together with pertaining the Falcons, Braves and Hawks.  You have felt that glory.  I am 44 and both championships I have been alive for I was deployed and too young to remember.  Many here just hurt so much that every QB, or great defense or great start in a game just gets punched in the teeth.  This is just so much hype and so much disappointment.  You have Alabama so you will never understand our disappointment and heartbreak.  You felt it one season in 2016 but this is a reoccurring and endless nightmare for us Georgia and Georgia sports fans. 

This just hurts and keeps hurting.  

Or put it like this, since Georgia's last national title. Besides Alabama having 6. Clemson has 2. Florida State has 3. Florida has 3. Miami has 5. LSU has 3. Auburn has 1. Georgia Tech has 1 (shared with Colorado but still counts). Ohio State has 2. Oklahoma has 1. Tennessee has 1. Texas has 1. Yeah, to add insult to injury. When the other teams have gotten to the same position as Georgia once in awhile, they have always gotten it done. 

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

In all honesty, I think Mathis has a lot of potential but needs a lot more snaps. COVID happening giving him less Spring practice, his brain surgery & everything, yet I still saw some good stuff he was doing outside of the couple interceptions. Dwan Mathis and Kendall Milton together gives Georgia the best chance to win in the future if they get a lot of experience the next 2 years. Mathis just hasn't had much playing time or experience which is why he looks worse than he really is. If Mathis works on the timing of the balls, he could be really special. Bennett with the most playing time of any QB has peaked, and his honeymoon ended since the 2nd half against Bama. 

You are correct. I said in another post that you can look at Mathis footwork and tell he isn't being developed properly.  Georgia Tech needs a quarterback, BAD.  Mathis should bounce on Georgia like Eason, Fields and Newsome did...:lol:

33 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

You are correct. I said in another post that you can look at Mathis footwork and tell he isn't being developed properly.  Georgia Tech needs a quarterback, BAD.  Mathis should bounce on Georgia like Eason, Fields and Newsome did...:lol:

Go back to your Ohio state thread so you can have a conversation with yourself 

2 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Or put it like this, since Georgia's last national title. Besides Alabama having 6. Clemson has 2. Florida State has 3. Florida has 3. Miami has 5. LSU has 3. Auburn has 1. Georgia Tech has 1 (shared with Colorado but still counts). Ohio State has 2. Oklahoma has 1. Tennessee has 1. Texas has 1. Yeah, to add insult to injury. When the other teams have gotten to the same position as Georgia once in awhile, they have always gotten it done. 

Thank you for sending me further into depression 

Putting aside Kirby refusing to play Daniels... it was obvious Mullen was going to attack the middle linebackers with their backs. Lanning needed to insert his best pass covering backers in there. 

Obviously the defense couldn't get even moderate pressure which gave Trask enough time to amass nearly 500 yards of pass offense. If Davis declares, I'd look into Juco or transfer portal for a big NT cause what we got ain't gonna cut it. 

1 hour ago, Red Bandana said:

Thank you for sending me further into depression 

That was off my comment to others that do not get what a fan from the state of Georgia has endured.  The only other fan base can be in the same conversation is Minnesota.  They have not had a champion in any sport since 1991.   

Beck or Daniels should start going forward because you got to start preparing for next season at this point.

Isn't Clemson game 1 next year?  We need someone with some experience to start that game if possible. I know JT may be looking to transfer, too early with Beck right now, and BVG is maybe the future but give Beck or Daniels a chance right now.

Both guys are talented enough and with experience and the right coaching should be able to win at UGA. Starting to really question our offensive coaching/philosophy though and not necessarily Monken.

1 hour ago, jeffro2000 said:

Beck or Daniels should start going forward because you got to start preparing for next season at this point.

Isn't Clemson game 1 next year?  We need someone with some experience to start that game if possible. I know JT may be looking to transfer, too early with Beck right now, and BVG is maybe the future but give Beck or Daniels a chance right now.

Both guys are talented enough and with experience and the right coaching should be able to win at UGA. Starting to really question our offensive coaching/philosophy though and not necessarily Monken.

Yeah at this point, it’s all about next year and finding a QB the Dawgs can put out there that can at least be competent.   If we lose a game we should win like Mizzou or Miss State or something- while I wouldn’t like it, want to see what we have in Beck and Daniels.   In theory we should win all remaining games regardless of what we get out of QB position.

This offense is BAD.   It cannot get much worse with Daniels or Beck.  Let’s see what they got.

In 2018, Fields never got meaningful time until UMASS.  He came in and threw dimes 50yds downfield - yes it was UMASS but they were dimes.

Kirby has consistently shown the wrong judgment and ability to handle QBs.  He got lucky with Fromm his Freshman year and made the right call when Eason got healthy.   Other than that, every decision has been the wrong decision.

4 hours ago, jeffro2000 said:

Yeah, we need to see what we have in JT and Beck.