Cocktail Party 2020 - #8 Florida vs #5 Georgia

Carter

Kinda been waiting on some updates to get this thread started. Both teams come into this week somewhat holding their breath on seeing who will be available. Georgia has had a very rough week of injuries, losing several starters from the defense; to include defensive captain Richard LeCounte who was involved in a motorcycle accident and is currently still in the hospital. Florida is waiting to hear what kind of punishments will be handed down for the brawl during the Mizzou game, which could include head coach Dan MuLLLen.

As down as some Dawg fans are about the offense and defensive injuries, I would urge some patience in seeing how this week pans out. Florida’s suspensions could be very significant.

Such being the case, I don’t really have a summary preview to get into. We’ll follow the info and see who will be available going into Saturday.

Go Dawgs!

I just heard Mullen got a 25k fee for his part in Saturday's mayhem. He deserves at least a 100k fine, it was ALL his fault, he ran out of the field after the refs and his team followed as I would aspect most football players would do. What a snake, and then takes no responsibility for his actions!!

I feel really bad for LeCounte! I hate to see any player hurt and have to miss such a big game. So, you still don't know what the long term availability will be for him?

I really hope the Dawgs can figure some things out on offensive this week and put a beating on them Gators!

50 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Florida punishment handed down

Mullen fined 25k

- 2 players (Carter and Powell) suspended the first half.

- Mizzou has 3 players suspended for the first half vs UGA.

this is all I see so far. Mullen “punishment “ is a joke and only 2 Florida players?

They had multiple players throwing punches with no suspension.  Mullen gets the same fine as Kiffen fir retweeting something.  SEC offices are weak af

Tough with Davis and Rochester out. Davis when healthy and fully engaged sets the tone for the rest of the defense.

One of the Tennessee contingent of Logue, Mitchell, and Norton needs to step up. Sounds like those guys have been total misses so far. Probably best to get the guy that can shoot the gap and cause disruption that way.

Piggybacking on Stetson, his value to me is being a dual threat QB. His draws hardly seems more than it was with Fromm. If he was a threat for 50 or so yards on the ground we can work that the rest of the way. But he fumbled on one of his lone running attempts against UK. The guy is a walking turnover man hurts to speak it. 

Hate to say it but it feels like Daniels has punted this season in preparation for next. It could be just Stetson and Mathis the remainder of the way. 

This has already been a year I’m eager to put behind me. Football season has been far from enjoyable so far and not just because the Falcons are terrible and the Dawgs have struggled. There are a lot of really bad teams and really bad football being played this season, even in the NFL. It’s really a punch to the gut when we take injuries like this and Lecounte gets into a motorcycle accident. I’m not even enjoying this season tbh.

Hopefully the optimism builds as the week goes on. Players are checking out mentally. I’m having a hard time believing we win this game at the moment. I’m sure by Friday I will be ready to fry up some gator though lol

22 minutes ago, Carter said:

This has already been a year I’m eager to put behind me. Football season has been far from enjoyable so far and not just because the Falcons are terrible and the Dawgs have struggled. There are a lot of really bad teams and really bad football being played this season, even in the NFL. It’s really a punch to the gut when we take injuries like this and Lecounte gets into a motorcycle accident. I’m not even enjoying this season tbh.

Hopefully the optimism builds as the week goes on. Players are checking out mentally. I’m having a hard time believing we win this game at the moment. I’m sure by Friday I will be ready to fry up some gator though lol

The Bama game highlighted UGA's weaknesses so much so, I've lowered my expectations. That said they had better beat the Gators, I don't care who the QB is or who is out and who isn't. This game is the season a win and everything is still on the table a loss, well...

the game plan will be clear.. run, run, and run some more.. we will hammer the ball down their throats and limit their opportunities.  will it work?  if we don't turn the ball over and our oline plays like they are capable then we can win it.. a lot also depends also on how young defensive players. we are going to be playing a lot of new players which isn't a great thing having the game in jacksonville as their first real start.  oh boy. 

6 hours ago, sdogg said:

Florida punishment handed down

Mullen fined 25k

- 2 players (Carter and Powell) suspended the first half.

- Mizzou has 3 players suspended for the first half vs UGA.

this is all I see so far. Mullen “punishment “ is a joke and only 2 Florida players?

Why would you expect more? 2 Florida players threw punches and 2 Florida players got suspended. 

3 hours ago, Redjack said:

UGA - 38

UF - 24

This is interesting. You are a Gator fan, right?

Is this more of a "I don't want to jinx it" pick lol or do you have concerns about Florida being able to win?

UGA fans are pretty down right now. I mean it's the Cocktail so there's always going to be that edge to it and I'm sure most folks will come around by Friday or Saturday and declare a blowout haha. But right now expectations seem to be all over the place.

6 hours ago, Carter said:

This is interesting. You are a Gator fan, right?

Is this more of a "I don't want to jinx it" pick lol or do you have concerns about Florida being able to win?

UGA fans are pretty down right now. I mean it's the Cocktail so there's always going to be that edge to it and I'm sure most folks will come around by Friday or Saturday and declare a blowout haha. But right now expectations seem to be all over the place.

Florida’s defense is atrocious and I don’t particularly find Dan Mullen to be much of big game head coach. 

Georgia’s defense has a much better chance at out-scheming Florida’s offense than vice versa, especially if they can’t find a running game. If Dameon Pierce can have a breakout game then maybe I’ll feel better about how the game goes.

Edited by Redjack

4 hours ago, Redjack said:

Florida’s defense is atrocious and I don’t particularly find Dan Mullen to be much of big game head coach. 

Georgia’s defense has a much better chance at out-scheming Florida’s offense than vice versa, especially if they can’t find a running game. If Dameon Pierce can have a breakout game then maybe I’ll feel better about how the game goes.

I liked Pierce a lot coming out of high school. Thought Kirby might be able to go down there and get him from his old stomping grounds but I don’t remember us ever getting heavily involved there. We brought in Zamir White and James Cook in that class. Pierce is definitely capable of having that big game. Not sure how UF’s o line is looking but our d line is not in the best shape right now.

I think the matchups favor a crazy kind of game this year. Dawgs offense has shown flashes of playing at a higher level but I’m not sure how loose Kirby is willing to go with our situation at QB. I’m expecting a pretty steady dose of ground and pound. Which means we can’t afford any turnovers with the explosive offense Florida has. Dawgs defense is strong but it’s going to be interesting to see how Florida tries to take advantage of our banged up d line and secondary.

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

I liked Pierce a lot coming out of high school. Thought Kirby might be able to go down there and get him from his old stomping grounds but I don’t remember us ever getting heavily involved there. We brought in Zamir White and James Cook in that class. Pierce is definitely capable of having that big game. Not sure how UF’s o line is looking but our d line is not in the best shape right now.

I think the matchups favor a crazy kind of game this year. Dawgs offense has shown flashes of playing at a higher level but I’m not sure how loose Kirby is willing to go with our situation at QB. I’m expecting a pretty steady dose of ground and pound. Which means we can’t afford any turnovers with the explosive offense Florida has. Dawgs defense is strong but it’s going to be interesting to see how Florida tries to take advantage of our banged up d line and secondary.

yeah we never recruited Pierce.. he is a talented player for sure, but he was far down our list of targets at rb..  i think the matchups right now favor Florida.  florida needs to flood the box and force us to throw.  I don't see us being able to run into 8 or 9 guys in the box consistently, but it seems like that is what Kirby wants to do and play bully ball against UF.  that only works if the game is close, but you get a few big tds overtop and the game changes completely.  

15 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the game plan will be clear.. run, run, and run some more.. we will hammer the ball down their throats and limit their opportunities.  will it work?  if we don't turn the ball over and our oline plays like they are capable then we can win it.. a lot also depends also on how young defensive players. we are going to be playing a lot of new players which isn't a great thing having the game in jacksonville as their first real start.  oh boy. 

Y'all were running the ball pretty darn good against us and for some reason came out in second half and started throwing it more which to me was the difference. I think our defense if better than FL's defense so I am sure GA can run, run, run the ball. The issue comes when you get into a 3rd and more than 5 and you really do need to pass, can SB step up and make those passes. I think he can if OC can call some plays getting him outside the pocket so he can see and throw over the OL and DL.

I think this game is GA's to lose, even with the injuries they are a better team. If they can play ball control and keep Trask off the field, it will be one of those old school type games. I know a lot of people really don't like those, but a win is win!

2 hours ago, Carter said:

If our D has to stay on the field for long periods we’ll lose. If offense can control the clock we have a chance to win. We’re not winning a shoot out with no one.

19 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Forecast calls for rain in jax Saturday- a monsoon would be ideal for the dawgs! 

I have to you, everything I see your avatar I think about my Dad. He loved his Dawgs, in fact as his casket was wheeled into the church, they played a "church" version of Glory, Glory to Ole GA.

Anyway, I remember watching that game with him when UGA tried to bite the Auburn player and he jumped up out of his with screaming, You getum UGA! 

Just thought I would share that with you, GO DAWGS beat those Gators!