November 2020 Recruiting Thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

from SoFl Dawg - 11/19 So…recruiting update. Heard this morning that Xavian Sorey may stay with his initial timeline which is before Thanksgiving. If he chooses to do so, we’re sticking with

It's official. Yuuuuuge pickup for Coach Scott.  

Tomorrow is going to be a great day! Get those GIFs ready. Our 22 DL class is going to be great 

58 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I worry about any true freshman who has checked out.  

From the way it sounds, we won't have to worry about him since he's likely to transfer after this season ends. 

37 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Fields seems to be fine after checking out and finding a team that buys into him 

Fields didn't check out. He actually played in most games, was just mishandled by the staff. But he was still engaged and participating in practice. And as was pointed out already, no spring practice put every freshman behind the curve this year. So I understand you want to continue to take jabs at our coaching staff by comparing Beck to the Fields situation, but it's not remotely the same.  

Just now, RandomFan said:

From the way it sounds, we won't have to worry about him since he's likely to transfer after this season ends. 

Fields didn't check out. He actually played in most games, was just mishandled by the staff. But he was still engaged and participating in practice. And as was pointed out already, no spring practice put every freshman behind the curve this year. So I understand you want to continue to take jabs at our coaching staff by comparing Beck to the Fields situation, but it's not remotely the same.  

Already admitted that Beck was behind the curve because of the lack of practice and I didn’t say they had the same situation at all. Can you quote where I made that claim?

8 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Already admitted that Beck was behind the curve because of the lack of practice and I didn’t say they had the same situation at all. Can you quote where I made that claim?

Seriously? 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I worry about any true freshman who has checked out.  

51 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Fields seems to be fine after checking out and finding a team that buys into him 

Don't pretend you're not trying to throw shade at our coaching staff on that one. 

Look, I get it. There are cracks starting to show in Kirby's tenure here when most assumed a championship was on the near horizon. Not everyone knows how to handle it and people are processing things in different ways. But this just isn't productive man, c'mon. 

Edited by RandomFan
1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Seriously? 

Don't pretend you're not trying to throw shade at our coaching staff on that one. 

Look, I get it. There are cracks starting to show in Kirby's tenure here when most assumed a championship was on the near horizon. Not everyone knows how to handle it and people are processing things in different ways. But this just isn't productive man, c'mon. 

I said Fields checked out I never said he and Beck had the same situation. 

16 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

And gets reps in the 4th quarter

Assuming we are able to move past this pandemic and get back to a regular season next year, I wouldn't mind seeing him play a significant amount in the trash games to get his feet wet for NCAA competition.

This is of course assuming Beck transfers and Vandagriff quickly moves past a further matured Mathis. Assuming either or both of those things could be a mistake right now lol

from SoFl today - 11/16/2020

Top of the morning chatter…

I do expect Mondon to choose the Dawgs on Wednesday. Fingers crossed he meets his full potential under the guidance of Schu and co.

Xavian Sorey is no longer likely to announce before Thanksgiving. This is not good news for us. How we lost to fu coupled with his desire to play with Arnold has caused him to pause. We’ve led for the longest. I hope it’s 50/50 right now.

If we do miss on Sorey, “AND” staff decides to take another ILB, I like Trevin Wallace for that backfill.

Not sure if y’all saw the allegations against the LSU program in relation to former LSU RB Darrius Guice. That program is in a bad way right now. Certainly doesn’t hurt our chances with Smith. Land Smith and we get Foreman. Both need to get back to campus.

Let’s see if Donovan Edwards and fam make it in this week. I believe it’s now UGA vs. ND here. OU will be the choice if Wheaton heads elsewhere and Riley stays put.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

from SoFl today - 11/16/2020

Top of the morning chatter…

I do expect Mondon to choose the Dawgs on Wednesday. Fingers crossed he meets his full potential under the guidance of Schu and co.

Xavian Sorey is no longer likely to announce before Thanksgiving. This is not good news for us. How we lost to fu coupled with his desire to play with Arnold has caused him to pause. We’ve led for the longest. I hope it’s 50/50 right now.

If we do miss on Sorey, “AND” staff decides to take another ILB, I like Trevin Wallace for that backfill.

Not sure if y’all saw the allegations against the LSU program in relation to former LSU RB Darrius Guice. That program is in a bad way right now. Certainly doesn’t hurt our chances with Smith. Land Smith and we get Foreman. Both need to get back to campus.

Let’s see if Donovan Edwards and fam make it in this week. I believe it’s now UGA vs. ND here. OU will be the choice if Wheaton heads elsewhere and Riley stays put.

Watch the visits with Smith and Foreman. If they visit UGA again we have a very good chance at landing them. 

26 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Watch the visits with Smith and Foreman. If they visit UGA again we have a very good chance at landing them. 

if it's a two way beauty contest w/ us and LSU, we should win.   Dawgs are ugly this year but LSU is worse - much worse.   Dawgs just need a QB - LSU needs a new coaching staff,  culture and pray the NCAA doesn't drop scholarship and post-season hammer.

52 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

if it's a two way beauty contest w/ us and LSU, we should win.   Dawgs are ugly this year but LSU is worse - much worse.   Dawgs just need a QB - LSU needs a new coaching staff,  culture and pray the NCAA doesn't drop scholarship and post-season hammer.

It’s just hard to pull Louisiana kids from LSU no matter what. The only team to really do it is Bama so far. I like our chances with Foreman more than so with Smith 

8 hours ago, Carter said:

We need Daniels to be the guy. Vandagriff looks legit but we DO NOT need to be relying on freshmen QBs. If Daniels can take over the job and play a full 2021 season while Vandagriff develops his freshman year, that would be ideal. 

I would love to see Mathis as a swiss army knife.  Get him some time at receiver, gadget plays at rb.  I think with his speed and if he can develop hands that Mathis could be a receiver at the next level.      

9 hours ago, Carter said:

We need Daniels to be the guy. Vandagriff looks legit but we DO NOT need to be relying on freshmen QBs. If Daniels can take over the job and play a full 2021 season while Vandagriff develops his freshman year, that would be ideal. 

When you look at Daniels tape it’s not really impressive.  I think the USC offensive system was poorly coached garbage that year.  Daniels wasn’t particularly confident and constantly checked down for 4-5 yards.  Still a significant upgrade over what we be seen.  Does throw a very catchable deep ball.  To me his best throws were in the deep seems but those were rare.  

Hopefully it was just the case of him being young, even for a Freshman (think he was 17).  He has the tools.  The unknown is how mentally tough he is.  Fingers crossed.  

37 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

When you look at Daniels tape it’s not really impressive.  I think the USC offensive system was poorly coached garbage that year.  Daniels wasn’t particularly confident and constantly checked down for 4-5 yards.  Still a significant upgrade over what we be seen.  Does throw a very catchable deep ball.  To me his best throws were in the deep seems but those were rare.  

Hopefully it was just the case of him being young, even for a Freshman (think he was 17).  He has the tools.  The unknown is how mentally tough he is.  Fingers crossed.  

He was a top billed 5 star recruit, #16 nationally on 247 composite and only behind Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields at QB in his recruiting class. He was expected to develop into a 1st round draft pick coming out of high school. He did not play all that well as a freshman and certainly not well enough to warrant the hype he had transferring into UGA. Very few actually do play well as freshman QBs.

It used to be considered a doomed season if a team had to rely on a freshman QB or even a rookie QB in the NFL. I still largely subscribe to that mentality, there is just sooo much they need to learn and adjust to with a step up in competition level. The freaks who come in ready to dominate in year 1 are extremely rare.

I'm very cautious regarding info that comes out about QBs in practice, but honestly it sounds to me like JT has been winning over his teammates with how well he has been performing lately. That was one of my biggest concerns with him earlier. He came in cocky and rubbed some guys the wrong way. Cocky is fine if you're backing it up and at a certain point it can breathe confidence into others. Our offense needs that confidence boost. The mental toughness is a bit of a question mark until we see him in a live game. I'm excited.

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

He was a top billed 5 star recruit, #16 nationally on 247 composite and only behind Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields at QB in his recruiting class. He was expected to develop into a 1st round draft pick coming out of high school. He did not play all that well as a freshman and certainly not well enough to warrant the hype he had transferring into UGA. Very few actually do play well as freshman QBs.

It used to be considered a doomed season if a team had to rely on a freshman QB or even a rookie QB in the NFL. I still largely subscribe to that mentality, there is just sooo much they need to learn and adjust to with a step up in competition level. The freaks who come in ready to dominate in year 1 are extremely rare.

I'm very cautious regarding info that comes out about QBs in practice, but honestly it sounds to me like JT has been winning over his teammates with how well he has been performing lately. That was one of my biggest concerns with him earlier. He came in cocky and rubbed some guys the wrong way. Cocky is fine if you're backing it up and at a certain point it can breathe confidence into others. Our offense needs that confidence boost. The mental toughness is a bit of a question mark until we see him in a live game. I'm excited.

Great post.  JT would have been much better served staying with his high school class rather than reclassifying to leave early.  

You build confidence when you dominate in high school.  Why miss out on a year of mental conditioning and constant reinforcement that he is awesome...lol