Falcons head coach search: Atlanta has interest in Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett

Falcons head coach search: Atlanta has interest in Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett

The Falcons have begun gathering information on potential head coaching candidates after firing Dan Quinn last month, with Packers coordinator Nathaniel Hackett quickly emerging as someone they would be interested in interviewing after the season, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Hackett, 40, is in his second year as the Packers offensive coordinator, with their passing game surging in 2020 and Aaron Rodgers playing at an MVP level. He is very much on the radar of Falcons team president Rich McKay, sources said, who is the central figure in owner Arthur Blank's coach and GM searches, and Hackett also has ties to several of McKay's confidants who remain on Atlanta's staff.

Hackett broke into the NFL in 2006 with Tampa as a quality control coach, and his father, Paul Hackett, worked on Jon Gruden's staff in Tampa (McKay was part of the Bucs front office that traded for Gruden from the Raiders). He became one of the youngest coordinators in the NFL in 2013 when he ran the Bills offense for Doug Marrone and he served on Marrone's staff in Jacksonville as well from 2015-18 before going to Green Bay when Matt LaFleur was hired there.

LaFleur was previously in Atlanta from 2015-16 as Matt Ryan's quarterback coach under then offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Ryan was the MVP and the Falcons reached the Super Bowl in Shanahan's second year there and the team has been trying to get back to that level of offensive performance since. The Packers reached the playoffs in 2019, Hackett's first year there, and they are poised to return again this year.

Sources say his name has come up several times in internal discussions about the hiring process and whom to interview, and while that is still in its preliminary stages, Hackett has piqued the interest of several people involved and is someone the team continues to research. Chiefs coordinator Eric Bieniemy is also among the likely candidates for the Falcons opening, sources said.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/falcons-head-coach-search-atlanta-has-interest-in-packers-offensive-coordinator-nathaniel-hackett/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This would be rich. Matt LaFleur isn't quality to be the OC here after Kyle leaves but now they are interested in his OC? LMAO

McKay needs to stop dipping from the TB well. It’s okay to not hire someone you have a prior relationship with McKay!

I'm sick of the TB connection fetishism. This also reinforces to me that the DK hire wasn't made by Quinn. Didn't make a lick of sense. Neither did the firings of Sark and MM. The team's identity was

14 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

McKay needs to stop dipping from the TB well. It’s okay to not hire someone you have a huge relationship with McKay!

I'm sick of the TB connection fetishism. This also reinforces to me that the DK hire wasn't made by Quinn. Didn't make a lick of sense. Neither did the firings of Sark and MM. The team's identity was completely lost after that. Should've either stuck with what we had or cleaned house instead of going for this Frankenstein of former HCs and Tampa castoffs.

6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'm sick of the TB connection fetishism. This also reinforces to me that the DK hire wasn't made by Quinn. Didn't make a lick of sense. Neither did the firings of Sark and MM. The team's identity was completely lost after that. Should've either stuck with what we had or cleaned house instead of going for this Frankenstein of former HCs and Tampa castoffs.

Yeah, people point fingers at Ryan and even Blank for DK, but that smells like a McKay call. Him talking Blank out of firing Q at the bye last season tells me he has a pretty heavy hand in front office decisions, if not final say even.

32 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

McKay needs to stop dipping from the TB well. It’s okay to not hire someone you have a huge relationship with McKay!

Been saying this from the beginning.  Firing DQ and TD mean nothing when McKay is still here.  He'll make the same stupid hires and decisions as before.  Also means we'll have the same scouting department.  

That might not be a bad choice at all actually.

A few weeks ago I put together a list of potential candidates for HC, OC, and DC.

For offensive-minded coaches I looked at staffs of the top 10 teams in both YPG & PPG over the past 3 full seasons (2017-2019). I did the same with YAPG & PAPG for the defensive-minded coaches.

Here were the coaches who made the list as HC candidates:

Pete Carmichael
Gary Kubiak
Nathaniel Hackett
Kevin O'Connell
Josh McDaniels
Jay Gruden
Dennis Allen
Todd Bowles

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Would be a typical Falcons hire

We have one major problem left to fix. Mckay, He is not going anywhere, blank needs to  take him out of the football chain. He will always be at least a sounding board for blank. If blank cant hire a GM that does not have the credentals to work directly to blank and hire his own HC, we will end up with more junior GM and HC, like before reporting to Mckay. Not good!