Why did it feel like the refs was against us tonight?

Every time a play is over on defense, it  feels like the ref is gonna throw a flag.   There was countless of Julios jersey being grabbed and no holding was called.  They did give us that last holding on Fowler cause the Oline had him in a rear naked choke.  

Also after the play was dead before halftime, a Carolina defender clearly pushes one of our Oline down and they pick up the flag smh. 

14 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Also after the play was dead before halftime, a Carolina defender clearly pushes one of our Oline down and they pick up the flag smh. 

nah, Mack pushed the DT in the back and he pushed Mack back and he flopped. it's actually pretty funny watching the replay but Mack was giving an emmy award winning performance. no foul

Just now, Dem Birds said:

I'd like to know why they picked up the flag after the Panthers player clearly shoved Mack to the ground well after the play. They saw it, they threw the flag then they picked it up. I don't get that. It wasn't even close to the whistle. 

See above ^^

They never replayed it so I guess it was exactly like that. I would have liked to seen a replay.

22 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Every time a play is over on defense, it  feels like the ref is gonna throw a flag.   There was countless of Julios jersey being grabbed and no holding was called.  They did give us that last holding on Fowler cause the Oline had him in a rear naked choke.  

I'd like to hear an actual Explanation from someone on why that flag was picked up. We can speculate but they saw it and they threw the flag. They did it last week and Morris said it was not explained to him

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

See above ^^

They never replayed it so I guess it was exactly like that. I would have liked to seen a replay.

Yeah I deleted my comment actually before you responded. I'd like to hear from an official or Morris if he was given an explanation 

The Panthers did not get any flags early in the game while the Falcons had been thrown 5 or so.

Then suddenly in the second half, the Panthers started getting all the flags while the Falcons did not get any.

It was almost like a different set of officials arrived or the officials decided they needed to balance out the # of flags.

I don't believe in referee bias or conspiracies (except that 'landing on the moon' deal, I mean come on lol who could actually fly to the moon)  but the roughing the passer penalties all around the NFL are just blatantly random, and Matt Ryan seems to have to get practically beheaded to get a call while other QBs you can't even look at them without getting flagged.  

29 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I don't believe in referee bias or conspiracies (except that 'landing on the moon' deal, I mean come on lol who could actually fly to the moon)  but the roughing the passer penalties all around the NFL are just blatantly random, and Matt Ryan seems to have to get practically beheaded to get a call while other QBs you can't even look at them without getting flagged.  

I personally love when defensive holding is called on either us or an opponent but it's never on the guy covering Julio despite the fact he is held up and down the field all game.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

I'm curious about the play clock when the Panthers lined up to punt on a 4th down, then ran their offense out on the field. There was no penalty, no time out called. How did they have time to run the punt team out, get set, then run the entire offense out, get set, and still have plenty of time on the clock?

4 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I'm curious about the play clock when the Panthers lined up to punt on a 4th down, then ran their offense out on the field. There was no penalty, no time out called. How did they have time to run the punt team out, get set, then run the entire offense out, get set, and still have plenty of time on the clock?

Wondered the same.  I’ll say this though, we got more calls in our favor that game than any other this season. The Lions game and those roughing the QB calls to extend their drives were awful.  I’ve come to expect it being a Falcons fan though.  Very few talk about it but the SB loss was filled with BS calls or non calls against us.  

3 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Don't forget......Carolina also huddled there as well.

The play clock was at 17 seconds... disappeared and then when their offense lined up there were 14 seconds.

I know that they have some speed but I don't think that they are that fast.

23 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Don't forget......Carolina also huddled there as well.

The play clock was at 17 seconds... disappeared and then when their offense lined up there were 14 seconds.

I know that they have some speed but I don't think that they are that fast.

Yeah, it was odd. It's like they got a free timeout.

I have a viable solution:

Here's what I hear when I watch football:

Flag lands, whistle blows, "Prior to the snap, "your team sucks", 5 yard penalty".  Tickytac calls all day.

It really does seem like they're just throwing more rags for entertainment value.  Maybe that's part of the problem. 

It's the Ref Show, it's become part of the act.  Not just NFL, NCAA is the same, basketball too.

If a player is injured nobody (I hope) really wants to see that.  Like when Dak was broken a couple weeks ago, the replay/edit team pixelated the leg and they quick fade to commercial.  I am glad they did it that way, it's more tasteful.  

So all this reach-around to get to the point?

Why not pixelate the refs or better yet fade to sponsor air time?  

As a fan, I really don't care what the BS call is, if an official is interrupting a good game just to be on TV I could care less if it's a roughing or a false start. I'd enjoy the game a lot more if they just showed a beer commercial every time the yellow hits the turf and resume the air time when the players are back on the line. 

That was the best part of the XFL and AAF startup leagues.  Yeah, I know, not quite as good football.  But the refs were secondary and served the safety of the players, the integrity of the rules and the timekeeping and ball placement.  And there were league rules that limited the ref huddle camera-hog time.

I don't see that refs are against the Falcons, specifically.  I think they're carving out face time and making it part of the show, a bigger part than it needs to be.  There are teams in pro and college that do measurably get the ire of officials; the Saints, Raiders, the Baylor Bears, for example.  Teams pay for league infractions long after the season in which they occurred.  The Falcons had as many bad calls as the Panthers did yesterday but we're cheering for one side so it seems off balance.  But the real issue is there are about twice as many flags as necessary in every football game.  

If it were up to me, I'd rather pay the refs more to see them less.  Call player-safety penalties, keep the game in control and players safe, don't cut into every picture like my kid did when she was 3.  Let the players keep the spotlight.  And if you aren't 100% sure don't throw the flag and potentially affect the outcome of the game.  For any team.  

Nah, it wasn't an unfairly called game. When you make as many stupid penalties as we do, the refs aren't necessarily wrong to assume that a borderline call is a foul. Unlike the roughing called on Terrell against the Lions, I didn't scream at the TV once last night. WIth that said, I think the female referee needs bigger shoes because I'd swear there were a couple of instances when she marked us six inches shorter than I thought we gained.

Other than that, it was as fair as it's going to be on the road in the NFL.

Just now, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Did they measure?  It had to be an official‘s time out   Then again Sarah Thomas is on that crew so God knows what they were thinking

They didn't. It was like 4th and 3 or something. Wasn't even close.

Carolina ran the punt team out, announcers started talking about how analytics say to go for it in that situation and how enamored the new owner was with analytics. Showed the owner in the box. Punt team lined up. Then, the offense comes trotting on, punt team leaves, the offense huddled, lined up and snapped.

I didn't see anything to indicate that there was any reason they had that much time...