7 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Posted these facts in another thread but I feel this is relevant to our situation. We need to take a page out of the Dolphins’ playbook and completely revamp our roster.

As many of you know my best friend is a Dolphins fan. I’ve watched every single Miami game this season, and a bulk majority of last season. Since Flores took over they have gone through a MAJOR roster churn. They traded both Fitzpatrick and Tunsil for picks. During this roster churn Miami also used 84 different players last season before starting to hit a stride.

I don’t know the exact numbers but there is a very low number of players that are still there from the Gase regime. Just from 2018 to 2019 there was over 60% roster churn. Taking a look at Gase’s final year roster vs Flores current year roster and it’s almost completely different. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Miami_Dolphins_season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Miami_Dolphins_season

Point is that sacrifices were made and there were no “sacred cows”. The Dolphins did what needed to be done and it’s starting to paying off. People looked at it like a “tank job” but it was finding the right players to change the culture. Which is what I’ve been advocating for since last year. Taking a step backwards so you can take two forward. 

Change is too scary for TAFTers. They fear the worst and ignore the possibility of eventually getting better. O well.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easy to say no sacred cows, especially when they had no cows to begin with.. 

They trade away Tannehill and he turns into a Pro Bowler.  Same for Fitzpatrick. The Dolphins problems were primarily coaching related and a revolving door in the front office.  Look at Gase in NY.  A

Just now, Intellectually Honest said:

Change is too scary for TAFTers. They fear the worst and ignore the possibility of eventually getting better. O well.

Some of them, yes. They don’t watch football outside of the Falcons, then speak as if they are knowledgeable. Miami is doing what it takes to win. Churning their depth and trading players. They straight up bamboozled the Texans with the Tunsil trade. They got 2 firsts and 2 seconds. 

This has been discussed in countless threads, I really don't know why some are so **** bent on changing others' opinions.  It's OK that we don't all have the same ideas.

There are plenty of ways to successfully build a team, what's right or wrong for a specific organization depends very much on factors that we don't even have in place yet.

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Part of our problem was trying to replicate other teams. NE, SEA, GB, you name it. We don’t need to copy anymore teams. Definitely not MIA. Just need to fix this one.

Find the right GM and HC. Keep Ryan and Julio until moving them doesn’t hurt our already tenuous cap table. Cut a few players to free up some cap space.

Add a DE, DT, FS, LG and RB in the draft. Keep an eye open for Julio and Ryan’s replacements in the next two drafts and never tank. Ever.

Agree.  Simply adding a real FS and long term RB will dramatically improve the team.  

Let’s hire a gifted GM and let him take over

Just now, etherdome said:

Agree.  Simply adding a real FS and long term RB will dramatically improve the team.  

Let’s hire a gifted GM and let him take over

Sucks this is a weak safety class in general. Should have taken Winfield or Chinn while we had the chance last draft in what was one of the deeper safety classes in many years.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Churn the 2nd & 3rd stringers until you can make them competitive. This will help you drive the level of play for the 1st stringers. You’ve said it yourself before that depth has always been enough. Being more competitive within the organization, will makes us more competitive against opponents. 

Early in Quinn's career we saw this but I think the approach changed after the team had success in 2016. Maybe they just wanted to overhaul the roster with "their guys".  We held onto guys like Ishmael and Hardy for far too long.  

42 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Early in Quinn's career we saw this but I think the approach changed after the team had success in 2016. Maybe they just wanted to overhaul the roster with "their guys".  We held onto guys like Ishmael and Hardy for far too long.  

I agree. I think that process helped make the team more competitive.