Jump to content

Dirk Koetter Would Have Taken Knee Vs Lions:


Recommended Posts

Just now, Dem Birds said:

Hindsight might show something different if you botch the snap or Koo goes wide right. I think you punch it into the endzone if you can and erase all other possibilities. You just have to be aware of the clock. 

If you miss the kick from 10 yards out then so be it, it's still the right choice and gives you the best chance at winning. Trying to run it but not too well and get into the endzone on the second play instead of the first has way too large a chance for error. We could have botched the snap on the handoff to Gurley as easily as any other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the end of the day, whether we scored on the TD OR NOT the defense still should have earned their paycheck and should have been able to hold up with barely a minute left with no Timeouts! 

This is basically Koetter throwing Raheem under the bus.

I’m confused. Who is calling the plays?

Posted Images

Just now, Lornoth said:

If you miss the kick from 10 yards out then so be it, it's still the right choice and gives you the best chance at winning. Trying to run it but not too well and get into the endzone on the second play instead of the first has way too large a chance for error. We could have botched the snap on the handoff to Gurley as easily as any other.

You'd think you'd have more control of not going into the endzone too soon though, wouldn't you? I could live with either decision if they were executed properly and that is the problem. The run call wasn't the problem, the players awareness was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dem Birds said:

You'd think you'd have more control of not going into the endzone too soon though, wouldn't you? I could live with either decision if they were executed properly and that is the problem. The run call wasn't the problem, the players awareness was. 

Yeah TG messed it up, but the coaches didn't need to even give him the chance to. He had just fumbled on the prior play too, you'd think that would make them think 'hmm, maybe this running the ball thing is riskier than we need to play it.' lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

At the end of the day, whether we scored on the TD OR NOT the defense still should have earned their paycheck and should have been able to hold up with barely a minute left with no Timeouts! 

I tend to agree, but there shouldn't have been an opportunity for the D to have a brain fart. I am standing fast on my position that the biggest bonehead move of the game was going for it on 4th and 5. Kneel on 3rd, kick the FG. /game

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Yeah TG messed it up, but the coaches didn't need to even give him the chance to. He had just fumbled on the prior play too, you'd think that would make them think 'hmm, maybe this running the ball thing is riskier than we need to play it.' lol

I'm not sure if they even realized the ball came out. But at the same time, he just fumbled he's going to be even more careful with the ball theoretically. You can debate it all day honestly there's really no right answer in that situation. I personally like to see the ball punched into the endzone and erase all doubt, especially with our luck. Somehow we managed to screw that up too though lol. And to be honest, we are spending too much energy debating this side and not putting the blame where it truly belongs and that's on the defense with 64 second left and no time outs for the Lions, needing a touchdown lol. That's still a win for pretty much every team in the NFL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

I tend to agree, but there shouldn't have been an opportunity for the D to have a brain fart. I am standing fast on my position that the biggest bonehead move of the game was going for it on 4th and 5. Kneel on 3rd, kick the FG. /game

Not gonna get an argument from me on any of that(especially kicking that FG to go up more than three).

I am 60/40 on going for the TD(because that puts you up more than three again),but I am in no way against just running the clock down and taking the FG attempt. 

Mostly because the Defense has up to that point showed that they could keep them out of the end zone. But like I said, you aren’t going to get an argument out of me with not putting it on the D at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dem Birds said:

I'm not sure if they even realized the ball came out. But at the same time, he just fumbled he's going to be even more careful with the ball theoretically. You can debate it all day honestly there's really no right answer in that situation. I personally like to see the ball punched into the endzone and erase all doubt, especially with our luck. Somehow we managed to screw that up too though lol. And to be honest, we are spending too much energy debating this side and not putting the blame where it truly belongs and that's on the defense with 64 second left and no time outs for the Lions, needing a touchdown lol. That's still a win for pretty much every team in the NFL. 

That's the problem, it doesn't erase all doubt.  In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find a single Falcon fan that had didn't have major doubt that Detroit had too much time.

You will never erase all doubt, but if you want to erase as much doubt as you can you take 2 knees and kick the fg and if you ask why, I'd ask what is more likely to happen?  A made fg from 30ish yards or a defense giving up a td?  Koo is 100% on the year from that range...and while there is always risk, the chance this defense holds is a lot less than 100%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, athell said:

That's the problem, it doesn't erase all doubt.  In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find a single Falcon fan that had didn't have major doubt that Detroit had too much time.

You will never erase all doubt, but if you want to erase as much doubt as you can you take 2 knees and kick the fg and if you ask why, I'd ask what is more likely to happen?  A made fg from 30ish yards or a defense giving up a td?  Koo is 100% on the year from that range...and while there is always risk, the chance this defense holds is a lot less than 100%.

No, I meant if they successfully milked more clock and then scored. Just kneeling and kicking leaves too much opportunity for mistakes

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

No, I meant if they successfully milked more clock and then scored. Just kneeling and kicking leaves too much opportunity for mistakes

What opportunity for mistakes does kneeling and kicking leave?  Especially in direct comparison with handing the ball off?  I guess I'm not seeing how kneeling and kicking is more risky than running and playing defense?

I think the only real risk there is Koo missing the chip shot, which the odds of that are extremely small.

With handing the ball off you not only have the snap to Matt, but exchange between Matt and Todd that could cause a fumble, defender could punch the ball out of Todd's hands after the exchange, OL could be called for holding, and then we would still have to rely on our crap defense.  I see your point, I guess in an ideal world milk the clock all the way and score but everyone knew they were gonna let him score there...I'm still trying to wrap my head around how dumb of a play that was all around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, athell said:

What opportunity for mistakes does kneeling and kicking leave?  Especially in direct comparison with handing the ball off?  I guess I'm not seeing how kneeling and kicking is more risky than running and playing defense?

I think the only real risk there is Koo missing the chip shot, which the odds of that are extremely small.

With handing the ball off you not only have the snap to Matt, but exchange between Matt and Todd that could cause a fumble, defender could punch the ball out of Todd's hands after the exchange, OL could be called for holding, and then we would still have to rely on our crap defense.  I see your point, I guess in an ideal world milk the clock all the way and score but everyone knew they were gonna let him score there...I'm still trying to wrap my head around how dumb of a play that was all around.

There's just several aspects of the kicking mechanics that can go wrong. From the snap, the hold and the kick itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

You guys say that now about who's calling the plays but when Kyle didn't run the ball in the Superbowl everyone was saying "Why didn't he over ride him and make him run the ball?". Which is it? Do we want a play caller that doesn't get dictated to by the head coach or do we want a head coach that is willing to say what he wants to happen? Neither of them worked out for us in those two situations 

You can actually have it both way. You can have a HC that is confident and hands off enough to let the coord. do his job, but also step in and dictate a call in a crucial situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he didn't suck at his job, it would not have mattered. Either way, this is a bad look and he shouldn't throw Raheem under the bus. I still don't know understand why it is so hard for a player to not score on a play. If anything, they should be mad at Gurley for not listening to simple directions. The more I watch Gurley he seems like a bit of a headcase. He made a similar mistake yesterday late in the game where he ran out of bounds instead of wasting more clock. It could have cost us but our defense stepped.

I wonder if Koetter is salty about not becoming the interim head coach. I can't wait till this retread is some other organization's issue. He has only been successful as a coordinator with three HOF talents and even then it felt like he wasted talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, Xfactor said:

Agree It seems Koetter is a little jealous he didn't get the HC position. Bigger question is who's calling the ******* plays ? Roll the grenade enough is enough.

Koetter calls the plays but it is totally common practice for HCs coming in for 4th downs and game management decisions.  Every team operates like this actually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 8:38 AM, KamiKazee27 said:

If Koetter is undermining Raheem he needs to go immediately. 

Yep 9 days till the next game is time enough to let knapp take control of game plans and a bye after that to let him work on what parts of the playbook to focus on for the rest if the year 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...