Dirk Koetter Would Have Taken Knee Vs Lions:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the end of the day, whether we scored on the TD OR NOT the defense still should have earned their paycheck and should have been able to hold up with barely a minute left with no Timeouts! 

This is basically Koetter throwing Raheem under the bus.

I’m confused. Who is calling the plays?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I still think the defense should have held. 1 minute to not let them score a TD, with no timeouts. 

:bang:

Should have, but our defense is terrible and the coaches should know that well enough to not put the game in their hands.

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

As I said in another thread, running the ball was the right call. Matt specifically, repeatedly, told Gurley NOT TO SCORE, which more than likely means Raheem made that very clear in the huddle. Gurley did it anyway. And for those saying ish like "Gurley is paid to score TDs," NO, Gurley is paid TO HELP THE TEAM WIN GAMES.

I never liked Koetter as OC, and if he really made that statement on the record, he can kick rocks ASAP.

Why is it the right call? Its first and goal from the 10 which means a roughly 27 yard kick, you get any closer and it becomes a tougher angle. There is no reason to run the ball in that situation. Detroit is out of time outs, there was 1:12 left. Take two knees, stop the clock with 5 seconds left and kick it on 3rd. It gives an extra opportunity to re-kick if theres a bad snap. Teams literally do this all the time.

And yes, technically the defense should have stopped the Lions from scoring but we had already seen how bad the defense was in 2 minute "prevent" situation (see end of 1st half). Why take the risk at letting them be on the field to end the game? 

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Scoring 22pts is the equivalent of the 26th ranked offense in the league right now. Giving up 23 would be the equivalent of 11th.

Now keep in mind had the offense simply done a kneel 3 times and kicked the FG we win 17-16. Guess how many teams give up 16 or less per game? 0. 

Now guess how many teams average scoring only 17 or less? 1, the Only team without a win the Jets.

Our offense sucked all game against a pedestrian defense. Our defense did its job until we decided to go full Falcon scoring a TD for no reason. Then we sent in the soft zones and that was all she wrote.

Exactly.  You protect your defense in that situation.  These are the kind of dumb things we have been doing all season like when we don't run the ball in the 4th quarter against the Bears.  With proper execution the handoff to Gurley works but why take the risk at that point?

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

This is basically Koetter throwing Raheem under the bus.

From what I heard, Morris threw Gurley under the bus.... what goes around...?

Plus I am no fan of the horrific coaching job Morris did under DQ.  Blank promoting Morris was a big mistake IMHO.  Its like rewarding failure.

I would rather have seen Wade Philips come in and HC the team for the rest of this season.   Or some other veteran coach.

Edited by egoprime II
9 hours ago, itsryanwonder said:

Is he saying Raheem over ruled the called and made Todd Gurley run the ball ?  Koetter may have called for the knee and Radio Raheem called for the Gurley run

Yes......Raheem overruled.Says he wanted the ball in Gurleys hand for security reasons. I guess he thinks Matt cant even kneel without fumbling. lol. This team man..

Edited by zekeyboy1

IMO this is one of the biggest issues with the Falcons... Falcons have too many cooks in the kitchen. We've had a committee of GMs, Offensive Playcallers, Defensive Playcallers, & coaches for years; No one GM, one Off Coord, one Def Coord, or one Coach making a final/quick/definitive decision... Especially in light of Koetter saying this.

How do you do your job if you have too many different instructions coming in?

I know Blank comes from a HomeDepot/Coorporate/Board Members back ground but in game decisions can't be done this way. 

5 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Just more proof this whole organization needs a reset or cleansing. Mr. Predictable Koetter throwing Raheem to the Lions. The total failure of the team on the field. Seems like it could be a very toxic environment even after Quinn has departed.

Agree It seems Koetter is a little jealous he didn't get the HC position. Bigger question is who's calling the ******* plays ? Roll the grenade enough is enough.

7 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

IMO this is one of the biggest issues with the Falcons... Falcons have too many cooks in the kitchen. We've had a committee of GMs, Offensive Playcallers, Defensive Playcallers, & coaches for years; No one GM, one Off Coord, one Def Coord, or one Coach making a final/quick/definitive decision... Especially in light of Koetter saying this.

How do you do your job if you have too many different instructions coming in?

I know Blank comes from a HomeDepot/Coorporate/Board Members back ground but in game decisions can't be done this way. 

Nothing can be done until a committee decides nothing can be done.

The best committee size is one that has 3 people and 2 don't show up.

2 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Agree It seems Koetter is a little jealous he didn't get the HC position. Bigger question is who's calling the ******* plays ? Roll the grenade enough is enough.

The HC has a switch on his tx/rx that switches between defense and offense frequencies. It's natural for the HC to interject general instructions like "run it here" unless you're DQ and the Superbowl is on the line.

3 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Nah, foresight says you take the knee. Hindsight shows why that's the case. 

Hindsight might show something different if you botch the snap or Koo goes wide right. I think you punch it into the endzone if you can and erase all other possibilities. You just have to be aware of the clock. 

35 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

You guys say that now about who's calling the plays but when Kyle didn't run the ball in the Superbowl everyone was saying "Why didn't he over ride him and make him run the ball?". Which is it? Do we want a play caller that doesn't get dictated to by the head coach or do we want a head coach that is willing to say what he wants to happen? Neither of them worked out for us in those two situations