Matt Tells Gurley “Don’t Score”

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

It's the game of football and you have to play offense and defense.  If you can't do both, especially when the game is on the line, you lose (and we did).  I think the space between us is you are concerned with that game and who to blame for it.  I'm more concerned that this D could not make a stop under very favorable conditions with a more than FG lead in spite of actually looking much better the past two weeks.

I understand the complaint\concern just fine...I just don't feel like we lost the game there and choose not to get bent about a successful +8 scoring drive even if the +3 was the winning move.  We lost regardless and what either of us thinks doesn't matter so I wouldn't be too bothered that I think we lost the game a bit differently than you.

Fair enough.  And don't get me wrong, I am concerned with the defense.  I've been concerned with the defense for several years now, I just now expect them to fail.

I was not expecting Raheem to continue down the DQ line of awful situational football coaching decisions, so that is much more egregious to me but your point is valid.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much mindshare spent on whether we should have had Matt take a knee or Gurley should go down.  We lost because our D could not get a stop they knew they had to get. QB did what QBs do (check)

Don’t care. Matt Ryan’s fault that we lost.    /purple 

Huh, OK.   Doesn't make it OK that Ryan didn't know enough to take the knee.  But I'm glad that he had the sense of duty enough to give the instructions.   If you don't want a Stat Hungry ru

1 minute ago, athell said:

Fair enough.  And don't get me wrong, I am concerned with the defense.  I've been concerned with the defense for several years now, I just now expect them to fail.

I was not expecting Raheem to continue down the DQ line of awful situational football coaching decisions, so that is much more egregious to me but your point is valid.

Don't get me wrong, when Gurley scored, I told my wife "here we go again" but I just feel like our D will be what will keep us in the L column more than the chance we'd ever have Todd Gurley struggling to not score.  I would have been far more upset at the call had we turned it over on a fumble running with Gurley but I just struggle to get mad at a touchdown and 2pt conversion.

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Don't get me wrong, when Gurley scored, I told my wife "here we go again" but I just feel like our D will be what will keep us in the L column more than the chance we'd ever have Todd Gurley struggling to not score.  I would have been far more upset at the call had we turned it over on a fumble running with Gurley but I just struggle to get mad at a touchdown and 2pt conversion.

The D should have held no doubt.  Any normal D would have but alas...

6 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

I mean the other coach literally told 11 players not to play D or tackle him and they all managed not to do so and to give their offense a chance to win the game. So now what is your excuse?

My excuse?  I win!  I play Younghoe Koo 10 times outta 10 in that situation.  

Is Koo perfect?  Nope, he's a human.  We're not known for "perfect".  But he is almost 94%.

I think you choose between falcons (1:7, 14%), or Koo (93.8%) I know which way I go.  I can't convince you to your satisfaction that he would make it, he's human, he missed one this year already.  So pick your poison, 14% is our O+D win rate.  Trust Koo to make a kick from 12, depending on the hash let's call that a 25 yard kick, or trust our D to make that stop in the 4th quarter of any football game this year?  

For the next guy to reply and tell me I don't really understand how great we really are, just know this is Koo's 100% career sweet spot.  He's never missed under 30.  Not ever.  So let's say that not me, cuz I'm stupid.  But you, you're smart.  What's your call in that situation?  Go with 100% or as close as humanly possible?  Or go with, well, what happened? 

And yes, I already know we're the Falcons and anything can happen.  But it's a good decision vs. a bad decision.  

14 minutes ago, athell said:

Just got time to watch that video in the OP and the complete lack of awareness on this play is mind boggling!  Starting with this first point that no one is really talking about...

• Matt says "get the first, get the first.  get down."  Ummmm Matt...it was 1st and goal from the 9.  There was no first to get...while he was correct he needed to get down, there was no first down to gain so why run the play in the first place?
  • Todd's lack of awareness to go down until it was too late
  • Coaches lack of awareness to just call a kneel down
  • OL celebrating the TD

This play is a great microcosm for what is wrong with this team and what has kept us from being any kind of threat.  We just don't have smart football players and coaches.  What a complete lack of awareness and situational football on display from several layers on this team.  This was a classic take two knees to milk to the clock to next to nothing since your opponent could not stop the clock.  Let your 100% from that range kicker make the chip shot and call it a game.

Stupid.

The audio/video of Ryan was taken from the play before the TD - the 3rd and 1 where we needed a first down to run out the clock.  Even then, Ryan was telling him not to score.

2 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

My excuse?  I win!  I play Younghoe Koo 10 times outta 10 in that situation.  

Is Koo perfect?  Nope, he's a human.  We're not known for "perfect".  But he is almost 94%.

I think you choose between falcons (1:7, 14%), or Koo (93.8%) I know which way I go.  I can't convince you to your satisfaction that he would make it, he's human, he missed one this year already.  So pick your poison, 14% is our O+D win rate.  Trust Koo to make a kick from 12, depending on the hash let's call that a 25 yard kick, or trust our D to make that stop in the 4th quarter of any football game this year?  

For the next guy to reply and tell me I don't really understand how great we really are, just know this is Koo's 100% career sweet spot.  He's never missed under 30.  Not ever.  So let's say that not me, cuz I'm stupid.  But you, you're smart.  What's your call in that situation?  Go with 100% or as close as humanly possible?  Or go with, well, what happened? 

And yes, I already know we're the Falcons and anything can happen.  But it's a good decision vs. a bad decision.  

You're blatantly missing the point. While I agree the correct decision is to take a knee and kick the field goal it doesn't excuse Gurley. You gave all these examples of athletes not being able to not "go for the win" and I literally gave you 11 reasons on one play why that is a farce. Many people have laid down to seal game, it is what you ask players who you trust to carry the rock to do in that situation because it is to secure a WIN. None of your other examples make sense unless there is a specific reason to do so, you know kinda like hitting a sacrifice fly in baseball, you are literally asking a guy to take an out to help get a run and WIN.

Blame the D if you want but the catalyst for this loss was on Gurley. The game was all but decided and he single-handedly opened it back up again. He was given a simple instruction and didn't do it. The fact that the defense blew it is annoying, but honestly that was to be expected. The offense knew this too, which is why everyone was so adamant that he doesn't score.

Edited by likeriver
2 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

The instructions were clear, thank you for sharing.  Because I assume most of us (Myself Included) thought Matty didn't know better.  Now we know it was a mistake by Gurley, the mistake to not be a pro for a few seconds.  Knowing that Matty knew better does not make this better, it makes it a little worse.

Hey, Bill Elliott, slow down a little at the end.  Hey Hank Aaron, try to maybe ground that to 2nd instead.  Hey Beckham, yikes, easy on the net, OK?  Hey, Simone Biles, don't stick that landing so cleanly.  Hey, Chuck Norris, Let Superman win so he doesn't have to wear his underwear on the outside.  Hey Brayden Point, I'm a Stars fan, how about not knocking in that goal in game 6?  Hey, Bubba Watson, see if you can muff that putt.  Hey, Bron, Coach Vogel says "don't play D tonight".  Hey, Todd Friggin' Gurley, Don't Step In The Hole And Run!  

Good one.  Bunch of idiots in that huddle.  

Buncha idiots somewhere, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mustang007 said:

100% on Gurley. Y'all can say "that's what RB do, they score blah blah blah". He was told by the QB not to score and get down. He is getting paid 3.5M and can't follow a simple direction SMH......WTH.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Just got time to watch that video in the OP and the complete lack of awareness on this play is mind boggling!  Starting with this first point that no one is really talking about...

• Matt says "get the first, get the first.  get down."  Ummmm Matt...it was 1st and goal from the 9.  There was no first to get...while he was correct he needed to get down, there was no first down to gain so why run the play in the first place?
  • OL celebrating the TD

This play is a great microcosm for what is wrong with this team and what has kept us from being any kind of threat.  We just don't have smart football players and coaches.  What a complete lack of awareness and situational football on display from several layers on this team.  This was a classic take two knees to milk to the clock to next to nothing since your opponent could not stop the clock.  Let your 100% from that range kicker make the chip shot and call it a game.

Stupid.

The video starts on 3rd and 1. It’s misleading.

Gurley being ran to get a new set of downs is optimal.

Then, it’s optimal to kneel.

51 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Blame the D if you want but the catalyst for this loss was on Gurley. The game was all but decided and he single-handedly opened it back up again. He was given a simple instruction and didn't do it. The fact that the defense blew it is annoying, but honestly that was to be expected. The offense knew this too, which is why everyone was so adamant that he doesn't score.

It’s the coaching dude. Gurley is easy to target here. The video is misleading, too.

He got us the first we needed and coach called another M E A N I N G L E S S run on 1st and Goal.

It was prime kneel in victory formation football. Kick the FG. Gurley shed a tackle attempt and had got too far up field. Did he make a mistake? Yes. Did the coaches call the wrong play to set up a mistake like that to begin with? YES!

Both can be true. And that our defense sucks but obviously playing to give a team a chance to respond vs the worst pass D in the league is...

1 hour ago, athell said:

So I want to ask you why you would think this?  What has our defense ever done to give you any kind of confidence that this would be the result?  Which makes Raheem's decision even worse!

The entire point is to not give Detroit another chance.  Don't let Stafford touch the ball.  Don't let Prater kick the ball.  Why aren't you understanding this?  None of that happens if Raheem and Dirk call what they should have called all along.  

The defense should have stopped them, I'll give you that.  But the entire point is they never should have had to.

Raheem says not to score.

Dirk says he would have kneeled.

Falcons fans defend running with Gurley.

We’ve come full circle.

Quinn wasn’t the problem!!! :lol:

1 hour ago, athell said:

• OL celebrating the TD

Stupid.

Yep.. it's low football IQ.

That is what we have. If there is a stupid decision to be made, we will make it. We will hold them on 3rd down but commit the senseless personal foul. We will waste the timeout or not make the challenge when it's obvious we should.

It went from the top down. Low football IQ HC surrounded himself with low football IQ assistants for a team that consistently drafts low IQ players. 

I and others have been saying we were a low football IQ team for years.

This is why they all must go. You can't fix stupid.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

So let’s ask the obvious: who thinks Gurley scored intentionally to get closer to his TD bonus?

It's funny. People say, "Tanking is impossible in the NFL because players and coaches are going to try to win."

Well, in this case, Gurley just could not stop himself from scoring (you might say he couldn't "tank" the play).

And yet -- by scoring, he helped us tank!

So ... how the **** do you interpret that?

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins