What is your opinion of the Falcons coaching in the Lions game?

I would like to know how you guys feel about the Falcons coaching during this Lions game on both sides of the ball.

I personally thought Raheem Morris did a good job. I think Raheem Morris is much better at clock management than Dan Quinn and Mike Smith. He wanted to take more time off the clock but Gurley fell in the end zone. I blame the players (the last few plays of the game), the referees and a little bit of bad luck for this loss. 

I thought Dirk Koetter wasn't that good but I was encouraged by our last offensive TD drive. 

I think Koetter needs to realize that when he runs the offense a certain way it works and when he doesn't, then it doesn't.  I think his inconsistency in preparing the offense is a huge problem.

I think Morris should have kicked that FG, but the defense absolutely shat the bed when it counted most after playing well most of the game.  Truthfully, if the offense had done its job most of the game, we win easily.

At this point, I'm not throwing Morris under the bus.  If he wants a real shot at this job, though, he should fire Koetter after Thursday unless Koetter commits to doing things the right way and demonstrates on Thursday that he will.  I didn't get to watch this entire game, but what I did watch was not inspiring.  The fact that Koetter can't seem to adjust to basic metrics on what we do well and what we do not do well (he tends to lean on things we do not do well) is disconcerting.  He has shown he has the ability make it work, but he has not shown that he has the desire.  Very stubborn, like Quinn.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think Koetter needs to realize that when he runs the offense a certain way it works and when he doesn't, then it doesn't.  I think his inconsistency in preparing the offense is a huge problem.

I think Morris should have kicked that FG, but the defense absolutely shat the bed when it counted most after playing well most of the game.  Truthfully, if the offense had done its job most of the game, we win easily.

At this point, I'm not throwing Morris under the bus.  If he wants a real shot at this job, though, he should fire Koetter after Thursday unless Koetter commits to doing things the right way and demonstrates on Thursday that he will.  I didn't get to watch this entire game, but what I did watch was not inspiring.  The fact that Koetter can't seem to adjust to basic metrics on what we do well and what we do not do well (he tends to lean on things we do not do well) is disconcerting.  He has shown he has the ability make it work, but he has not shown that he has the desire.  Very stubborn, like Quinn.

Exactly, we had what? 3 90 yard shanny esq td drives And everything else was run up the middle x2 pass on 3rd n long. 

We can blame coaches and players alike. Gurley screwed up, Radio screwed up by handing the ball off (if you remember Gurley fumbled the play before but luckily got it back) so there should've been no handoffs at that point, just kneel downs, kick the winning chipshot as time expired. We all know this defense and so do the coaches, do not put them back on the field when the game is on the line.

We gave the Lions the only chance they had and that was for us to score quickly which we did. Why do you think the Lions celebrated when we scored the TD? 

I don't blame Gurley for this. That FG was no guarantee. What if it's blocked? What if the botch the snap? What if the hold is bad? What if Koo just shanks it? If Gurley goes down at the 2 and we miss that FG we're all talking about how Gurley sucks for not getting the sure fire points. I blame coaching for this one. Kick the FG on 4th and 5. Get your defense to make one single stop on that last drive. 

Just now, dodge_birds_fan said:

I don't blame Gurley for this. That FG was no guarantee. What if it's blocked? What if the botch the snap? What if the hold is bad? What if Koo just shanks it? If Gurley goes down at the 2 and we miss that FG we're all talking about how Gurley sucks for not getting the sure fire points. I blame coaching for this one. Kick the FG on 4th and 5. Get your defense to make one single stop on that last drive. 

I read earlier today that the FG at that distance was a 99% success rate, what do you think the success rate for ours defense was with a minute and 4 seconds was?

32 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I read earlier today that the FG at that distance was a 99% success rate, what do you think the success rate for ours defense was with a minute and 4 seconds was?

Those figures are great on a computer screen. In real life scenarios there are 0 guarantees. If it were Matt Bryant in his prime then I'd agree, but Koo makes me nervous at times. 

1 hour ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Those figures are great on a computer screen. In real life scenarios there are 0 guarantees. If it were Matt Bryant in his prime then I'd agree, but Koo makes me nervous at times. 

He doesn't make me nervous on a 27 yard FG. What makes me nervous is putting our defense back on the field with over a minute left. Just to be safe we could've kicked it on 3rd down in case there was a fumbled snap then try again on 4th down. 

We ran the same running play like 7 times with Gurley bouncing outside for 1 to 2 yards, At some point you gotta quit trying to force a play that doesnt work. Koetter gotta go. Would love to get Sark back if we could. Falcons secondary is terrible. And they need a fat body next to Grady Jarrett. AJ Terrell is a bright spot and the call for roughing the passer was a joke. D Jones has become a non factor on the field.  Calvin Ridley showed signs of playing soft, Gage showed signs of playing with heart. Julio balled as usual. I am not happy with the loss but we looked better than we did under Quinn. Not going to give up on Raheem yet or give the man grief for not kicking the FG earlier in the game. We score there and the game is over. Still tired of Falcons inability to gain 1 yard, said it before and I will say it again Jake Matthews is over the hill. Falcons need  more secondary help, a good LB, a fat body nose tackle next to Jarrett, and a left tackle and we will be alright. 

So Gurley is what?  A seasoned veteran high performing NFL running back?  Ok. So do you or I really think he should try to not score?  WTH!

The problem is the play call. If you and I and my kid know to kill clock how about don’t call that run?  How about don’t block that hole!  We did a JV job of opening for Gurley for 58 minutes. So suddenly we’re a great red zone rushing team?  Just inattentive play calling. As usual. And yes, Matty should have had the jugs to flip the bird to the sideline and closed out the game on his own. 

Edited by Killing Floor
Phone changed to Marty. Hahaha
1 hour ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

It's a 99% make from that distance. The odd of our defense having a game ending stop are so, so much lower. 

3 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

It’s time for #2 to put his ship load of money where his mouth is and audible when he surely knows what to do. If the play call is going to fail change it. That’s in the job description. 

He did vs minnesota. I could tell from his post game interview he's not happy with the play calling. 

25 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

He did vs minnesota. I could tell from his post game interview he's not happy with the play calling. 

I saw that too. Ryan is a pro, an MVP. He knows he is getting BS calls from the sidelines and the perch. I know it. You know it. I’m not saying he lost the game at all. I’m saying he could have called time out, punched coach in the face and walked back out and finished. Is he afraid of getting in trouble?  I don’t understand why he won’t overrule a stupid play and make his own calls. He 100% knew what to do. It’s not peewee where the coach yells if you don’t follow instructions. 

And yes. Ryan took control of the Vikes game and it’s a W and he gets credit for that. 

Edited by Killing Floor
2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Here is the thing with that.

Dk is doing exactly we have been clamoring for him to do......stick with the run.

Was he stubborn about running up the middle ? Sure......but by the end of the game those gains that may had been 1-2 yards in the first half started becoming  4 and 6 yard gains in the second.

Gurley had like 15 yards the first half and ended up with 63. Not an earth shattering total but the commitment to the run started to bear fruit in the second half....which is something virtually every one here wanted.

We had Touchdown scoring drives of 89, 98,76 and had an 81 yard drive that ended when Ryan did not put enough under a throw to Ito who would have walked into the end zone.( Credit The Lions DE for making a nice play on the pass as well)

So the idea that Dirk didn't adjust simply false.