40 years' ago today, Oct26 1980, I fell in love with the Falcons because of this one play

On 11/1/2020 at 5:16 AM, egoprime II said:

3-0 start in 1981.... the Falcons looked like they had arrived.   Problem is the Falcons lost Joel Williams to a knee injury, it happened against Green Bay in game three.   Couple of other starters went down too.    Joel Williams had posted, like, 16 sacks in 1980.   Losing him was a -huge- blow.

Joel was never the same after that injury.  As I recall, Williams wanted more money, and the Falcons ended up trading Williams to Philly for a 2nd round pick.   Later on in his career Williams did return to the Falcons.

I just saw you reply now. Williams was great and that would have been a huge loss for sure! 

On 10/26/2020 at 1:24 AM, Bart2Ryan+beyond said:

Check the video between the 1:04 to the 2:00 minute mark:

I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (about a 90 minute drive to Buffalo) and I was a huge Vikings fan when the Purple People Eaters defense and Tarkenton, Foreman, Rashad, etc were on those mid-70s teams. All my fav players from those Vikings teams retired by 1980 and the Vikings became just a .500 team in the weak NFC Central (back then).

I was in my freshman year in HS just watching games that Sunday afternoon when whatever game was on TV concluded and CBS gave us bonus coverage to see how the Falcons-Rams game would finish. I hated the Rams because they were an absolute rival to the Vikings in the 70s. When they went to the Falcons' game, there was just over a minute remaining in the 4th and the Falcons had 3rd and 38 from their 18-yard line. Just watch what happens between 1:04 and 2:00!

The crowd went nuts and I went nuts, and the beauty of those 1980 Falcons home unis with the amazing shade of red - they became instantly my new fav team and that's the way it's been for 40 years!

After watching yesterday's loss, it crossed my mind it might have been Karma's plan to make me a Falcons fan that day. I grew up a Boston Celtics fans and a Montreal Canadiens fan and I've enjoyed those teams win a combined 11 championships, so this is Karma's way of balancing my sports pleasure, I figure. 

A few thoughts about yesterday and the rest of the season:

1) I'd have to rewatch Gurley's last TD run but I just can't shake the nagging feeling that he really didn't want to stop at the 1-yard line. I wonder if he has a bonus for TDs? Now, the lasting memory of the game for me won't be Gurley's TD. It will be watching Stafford face 1st and 10 at their 38-yard line with 34 seconds left and no TOs - and 3 passes later they have a TD! Now you see what I mean about Karma getting back at me?

2) When we beat the Vikes in week 6, I figured we could win the next 3 games and be 4-5, then have a bye before we play the Saints. That would give me hope for a playoff spot. Now at 1-6, consider me a conscript for the Tank Brigade. I never watch the Falcons and want them to lose. As the game starts my fandom takes over and I want to see a win. But from a strategic perspective, for the best chance at improving next year, the highest draft position possible is what we need. I hope we go 3-13, beating only the Saints and the Bucs once each (just because), and I will be cheering for the Bengals, Jets, Giants, Cowboys, Washingtons, Texans, Broncos, and Vikings every week, so that they end up with a better record than the Falcons. AB can then fire the entire coaching staff as far as I'm concerned.

I grew up in Port Colborne, about 20 minutes from the Peace Bridge

I couldn't watch much of this video because I was there for the Dallas game and still have bad flashbacks. I've hated the Cowboys ever since, which makes Week 2 even more painful. 

As for 1981, that team not only lost a ton of guys to injury but to free agency as well. I believe that there were 20 or so new players on the roster, which was only 45 deep at the time with no practice squad. With so many owners going cheap like Rankin here and Culverhouse in Tampa, of course there was a player's strike the following year. 

And they lost a slew of close games to boot, including missed field goals by rookie kicker Mick Luckhurst that cost them the 49er and Bengal games that kept them from the playoffs.

Yeah, us oldtimers have some healing to do...

On 10/26/2020 at 1:24 AM, Bart2Ryan+beyond said:

Check the video between the 1:04 to the 2:00 minute mark:

I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (about a 90 minute drive to Buffalo) and I was a huge Vikings fan when the Purple People Eaters defense and Tarkenton, Foreman, Rashad, etc were on those mid-70s teams. All my fav players from those Vikings teams retired by 1980 and the Vikings became just a .500 team in the weak NFC Central (back then).

I was in my freshman year in HS just watching games that Sunday afternoon when whatever game was on TV concluded and CBS gave us bonus coverage to see how the Falcons-Rams game would finish. I hated the Rams because they were an absolute rival to the Vikings in the 70s. When they went to the Falcons' game, there was just over a minute remaining in the 4th and the Falcons had 3rd and 38 from their 18-yard line. Just watch what happens between 1:04 and 2:00!

The crowd went nuts and I went nuts, and the beauty of those 1980 Falcons home unis with the amazing shade of red - they became instantly my new fav team and that's the way it's been for 40 years!

After watching yesterday's loss, it crossed my mind it might have been Karma's plan to make me a Falcons fan that day. I grew up a Boston Celtics fans and a Montreal Canadiens fan and I've enjoyed those teams win a combined 11 championships, so this is Karma's way of balancing my sports pleasure, I figure. 

A few thoughts about yesterday and the rest of the season:

1) I'd have to rewatch Gurley's last TD run but I just can't shake the nagging feeling that he really didn't want to stop at the 1-yard line. I wonder if he has a bonus for TDs? Now, the lasting memory of the game for me won't be Gurley's TD. It will be watching Stafford face 1st and 10 at their 38-yard line with 34 seconds left and no TOs - and 3 passes later they have a TD! Now you see what I mean about Karma getting back at me?

2) When we beat the Vikes in week 6, I figured we could win the next 3 games and be 4-5, then have a bye before we play the Saints. That would give me hope for a playoff spot. Now at 1-6, consider me a conscript for the Tank Brigade. I never watch the Falcons and want them to lose. As the game starts my fandom takes over and I want to see a win. But from a strategic perspective, for the best chance at improving next year, the highest draft position possible is what we need. I hope we go 3-13, beating only the Saints and the Bucs once each (just because), and I will be cheering for the Bengals, Jets, Giants, Cowboys, Washingtons, Texans, Broncos, and Vikings every week, so that they end up with a better record than the Falcons. AB can then fire the entire coaching staff as far as I'm concerned.

Good Lord at William Andrews trucking that poor DB at the 5:25 mark! I swear, its criminal that Andrews tore his knee up. He had what it took to be on the Rushmore of backs had he stayed healthy.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, AvidFalconFan said:

The 80s team is still my favorite Falcons team. Bartkowski remains my favorite Falcon of all time.

Leeman Bennett was one of the best coaches IMO the Falcons ever had. Dan Reeves was another good coach. Reeves could get the most out of just an average player. 

Will never forget Bartkowski to Jenkins, Wallace Francis and Alfred Jackson. William Andrews, Lynn Cain. The Grits Blitz! Good ole days!

Hopefully those of us who have watched this team this long will see us finally win a SB before we leave this life. 

Those were some TOUGH Falcons teams on both sides of the ball. I long for another team like it.

16 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Out of all of the sports losses I have experienced being an Atlanta fan, those are the two worse. followed by the one to Calgary back in 80’. 

I assume you're referring to the Flames moving? Throughout the 70s they had competitive teams and played in the toughest division in the NHL. I remember watching a playoff game against Toronto when this happened (it gets particularly good at the 2:10 mark):

2 minutes ago, Bart2Ryan+beyond said:

I assume you're referring to the Flames moving? Throughout the 70s they had competitive teams and played in the toughest division in the NHL. I remember watching a playoff game against Toronto when this happened (it gets particularly good at the 2:10 mark):

My Momma used to always tell Me, we might lose the game but we will always win those fights! 😉

My very first game I attended was sitting six rows behind the goal next to the guy with the confederate flag(no judgement right now as that is not the point!) and yes, it was against the “Make Believes” that night! 

A 4 to 2 blood bath it was described as! 

Loved the game ever since! 

LOL, 'make believes' that's one of the names we had for them along with 'make me laughs'. I hadn't heard that in a long time! 

Watching hockey near the ice level is unlike any other live sport - the speed and physicality of big men on skates is something to behold, and if you're behind the net, just wait until a shot misses the net and hits the glass in front of you!

On 10/31/2020 at 6:36 PM, E. T. said:

That 1980 team, much like the 1998 and 2016 teams, had the championship in the palms of their hands! 

They all fell apart at the worst possible times! Still stings after all these years.

It does still sting. I was in grade 9 and seeing the highlights still hurts! But one day I ned to by me a home 1980 Andrews jersey and a road 1980 Bartkowski jersey. Have to treat myself to hose!