Which is more realistic - making the playoffs or getting the #1 pick?

jlrfalcon

Which is more realistic - making the playoffs or getting the #1 pick?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more realistic - making the playoffs or getting the #1 pick?

• Making the Playoffs
    • Getting the #1 Pick

There seems to be totally opposite type of dreamers on this board - Playoff vs. #1:

Playoff dreamers 

- A few 1-5 teams have made the playoffs,

- Ryan and Julio are coming off their best games of 2021

- The new interim HC looks better than the old HC

- There is an extra playoff slot and an 8-8 team could be a wild card

- The Falcons have a few "easy" games in a row, 

- The Jets are worse than the Falcons and want Trevor Lawrence with #1

- The #2 pick could be almost useless unless Fields is considered equal to Lawrence

- The picks required to trade up to #1 from #4 or so would be almost ridiculous for a rebuilding team

- No rookie QB could come in and match Ryan's current level until his 2nd or 3rd season

#1 dreamers 

- Trevor Lawrence is going to be the 1st pick and could replace Ryan

- Ryan and Julio could be traded by the deadline

- Falcons could tank easily without Ryan and even with him

- The likelihood of going 7-3 just to get to 8-8 is already small much less playoffs

- Raheem's early popularity will fade quick

- 4 of the final 7 games involve the Saints and Bucs while 1 involves the Chiefs

- Koetter is still running the offense

- The defense is still not that great

- The Falcons just lose in the wild card game anyway

- Nuke it all and just start over and the Falcons will be a playoff team by 2022

Anybody see us getting to the playoffs and getting the #1 pick too?

There seems to be nobody in the middle that will be happy with this team finishing 7-9 or so, missing the playoffs again, and getting a mid-teens pick in the 1st round.  However, the odds would probably make this the most realistic outcome.

So, which of the 2 extremes is more realistic?

Would a win or a loss to the Lions swing one to the other side?

Edited by jlrfalcon

#1 pick just ain't happening. Its only through incredibly incompetent situational coaching that we aren't 3-3 right now. We will end up 6-10 at worst barring major injury. We were playing well enough (when we weren't playing especially well) to go .500. If Quinn leaving lights a fire this team might actually be a playoff caliber team. I cant help but believe Quinn was messing with the 4th qtr offense. Almost seems like he was TRYING to blow leads 

2 hours ago, falconut1991 said:

Between the 2 choices, I'd have to say playoffs. With Morris they're not going to be the worst team, but with the extra playoff spot, there's a chance if they go on a run to squeak in. But, realistically I think they miss the playoffs & don't get a top 5 pick.

I'm calling that we snag #7 at 9-7 by going 4-2 in our division. I may be dreaming but its my prediction. No more Quinning in the 4th qtr

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I don’t think anyone here realizes how bad the Jets are and we were never going to have the #1 pick

Not only that, but the Giants, Redskins, Vikings, and Jaguars are vastly worse than the Falcons as well. Falcons were never gonna get a top 5 pick. I don't think it's so absolutely stupid to think the Falcons can get a playoff spot.

No chance we get 1st pick.  Let's hopefully agree that nobody is losing on purpose.  

There are some really awful clubs, not just the Jets.  But the Giants, Chargers, Cincy, Jags...the Texans probably are doomed too.  We win more games than most of these clubs.  There's a chance we could edge into a wild card.  

I'd rather see us win just on principle.  But there are 10 more starts.  If we don't get in post, I guess that's too bad but we're not gonna be DFL for sure.

1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

I can't believe 4 people said getting the #1 pick.. AS much as I'd love to get Lawrence ,, I'd much rather make the playoffs this year ,, And if the FO want's Lawrence ,, they can make it happen..  So ...Dah !!!!

It didn't say anything about what you WANT to happen it said what was more likely to happen.the only reason id want the first pick would be to trade back for more picks.i definitely dont want fields.hard pass.

18 minutes ago, Ians0280 said:

It didn't say anything about what you WANT to happen it said what was more likely to happen.the only reason id want the first pick would be to trade back for more picks.i definitely dont want fields.hard pass.

Well , to be honest ,, neither one is likely .. Cause we will probably win at least 5 to  8 games,, But still, we need to at least learn how to win this season.. then concentrate on getting the best players possible in the draft. So we can win with a great Draft to help the cause... 

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think both are very unlikely.

But I know the Falcons will be out of contention for the #1 pick with just another 2 or 3 wins, which they will get. The Jets are just a horribly ran franchise from the ownership down and are by far the worst team in the NFL.

Jacksonville looks pretty rough as well. I was hoping my boy Minshew would do something there, but I don't think Joe Montana could do anything with that bunch.